Thread: Beeshu Zipper help!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Beeshu Zipper help!

i just got myself a beeshu zipper on ebay, blue one, for about $8.

it looks great and all but... its not functioning correctly!

the select button only works when you hold start
    the start button only works when you hold up
    the B button only works when you hold select
    the A button only works when you hold B
    none of the directions work

am i going crazy or is there a possible fix for this? im using it on my top loading nes2. i dont really want to throw it away or return it or anything, i just want it to work properly.

any help would be appreciated!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by defghui View Post
    i just got myself a beeshu zipper on ebay, blue one, for about $8.

it looks great and all but... its not functioning correctly!

the select button only works when you hold start
    the start button only works when you hold up
    the B button only works when you hold select
    the A button only works when you hold B
    none of the directions work

am i going crazy or is there a possible fix for this? im using it on my top loading nes2. i dont really want to throw it away or return it or anything, i just want it to work properly.

any help would be appreciated!
    I have two beeshu zippers and one had that exact problem. The other seemed to be of a little better build quality and (to date) has worked just fine.

The cause? The cord in the problem one is very tightly wrapped between plastic pegs inside of the controller, and some on the internal wires were shorting and or broken.

The solution? Cut off the problem area (the internal, tightly wedged piece of the cord), strip back the fresh and of the cord, and re-solder each wire back, reassemble and it's good as new.

I wouldn't doubt this is your exact same problem; at first I didn't do a good job re-soldering the cord on mine (I think it was my first ever experience soldering actually!) and it exhibited the predictable, yet incorrect button function you're describing. (select was a, up would press 2 other buttons instead, etc)

I've noticed some odd inconsistencies between different beeshu zippers. I have a gray and green one, the gray one (the problem one I fixed), iirc, has a much MUCH longer cord than the green one (longer than standard nes controllers by a good bit even) and this might have contributed to the issue.

The green one's cord is a light beige for whatever reason, but uses the standard Nintendo branded nes controller plug on the end. I have yet to have any issues on the green one. The sheathing on the gray one is also of notably poorer quality, very stiff and almost brittle. Maybe they improved on the design and the colored versions, or all versions saw a later release? Perhaps the green one I had was retrofitted with a new cord to fix the exiting issue? I'll probably never know.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lios View Post
    I have two beeshu zippers and one had that exact problem. The other seemed to be of a little better build quality and (to date) has worked just fine.

The cause? The cord in the problem one is very tightly wrapped between plastic pegs inside of the controller, and some on the internal wires were shorting and or broken.

The solution? Cut off the problem area (the internal, tightly wedged piece of the cord), strip back the fresh and of the cord, and re-solder each wire back, reassemble and it's good as new.

I wouldn't doubt this is your exact same problem; at first I didn't do a good job re-soldering the cord on mine (I think it was my first ever experience soldering actually!) and it exhibited the predictable, yet incorrect button function you're describing. (select was a, up would press 2 other buttons instead, etc)

I've noticed some odd inconsistencies between different beeshu zippers. I have a gray and green one, the gray one (the problem one I fixed), iirc, has a much MUCH longer cord than the green one (longer than standard nes controllers by a good bit even) and this might have contributed to the issue.

The green one's cord is a light beige for whatever reason, but uses the standard Nintendo branded nes controller plug on the end. I have yet to have any issues on the green one. The sheathing on the gray one is also of notably poorer quality, very stiff and almost brittle. Maybe they improved on the design and the colored versions, or all versions saw a later release? Perhaps the green one I had was retrofitted with a new cord to fix the exiting issue? I'll probably never know.
    sweet. good to know someone else has faced this problem with success. i just read somewhere else about the cord being the culprit as well. but now im wondering, would it be possible to just replace the cord with one from an actual nes controller? well since im guessing the pin count and the wire count would be the same, just maybe the color would be different...

thanks a lot man

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course, just be sure to test which pin is which on the cord you swap out. Pro tip, when it comes to color coding and cords for electronics, there really is no standard you can trust. Whip out the ohmmeter and take the dangerous guess work out of things from the start.

Of course, I know the cord is hard wired on the 1st party Nintendo controllers, and believe it is on the beeshus as well. At least the ones I have had the cord soldered directly to the pcb, or had a plastic connector with pins soldered directly to the pcb, keep this in mind in case you were hoping for a nice quick gut, salvage, plug and play type solution.