Thread: The Problem Between My PS3 and Me - Shoulder Buttons

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Problem Between My PS3 and Me - Shoulder Buttons

I have had a 60GB backwards compatible PS3 for going on 3 years now. I've used it off and on during that time for Netflix and as a Blu-ray player, but I've never really been able to get into it as an actual gaming system. In the entire time I've owned it, I've only purchased three PS3 games. The two I've had for a while now are GTA 4 and Valkyria Chronicles. I never got very far into either.

One of the main reasons I think I've never been somewhat annoyed with gaming on the PS3 is the sensitivity on L2 and R2. I just keep registering presses on them without even trying! I got a Dual Shock 3 to supplant my original Sixaxis controller quite a while ago (no regrets there) but I have the same trouble with both. I suppose I could just hold my fingers away from the buttons all the time, but it's a lot more comfortable being able to have my fingers pressing down on them just slightly.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because I've noticed several good deals on Amazon.com lately for PS3 games. I'd like to start getting some of these titles before they become harder to find. I picked up 3D Dot Game Heroes recently and that gave me an excuse to plug in my PS3 again for the first time in 4-5 months. I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but I keep dying because I keep pressing L2/R2 by accident and selecting the wrong secondary weapon!

So I guess my question is this: Is there some obscure setting on the PS3 that I'm not aware of that reduces the sensitivity on those buttons, or some 3rd party controller that doesn't have this much of an issue?

Also, feel free to just tell me to man up and learn how to use the controller properly if you like.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Coming from the DualShock2 I hated the feel of the L2/R2 Triggers when I first picked up my PS3 but never had the problem of accidentally hitting the triggers. My fingers are never resting on the triggers. I usually just keep my index fingers on R1/L1 with my middle fingers on the underside of the controller and I haven't encountered a game where that is a problem yet. (and I find games that make you use all four triggers at once have alternative control schemes that are IMO much better)

I hate this LTP-type advice but I really think that changing the way you hold the controller would solve your problems better then anything else.

I just found an alternative typing this out. lol You might want to try picking up some of trigger extensions for your DS3, the seem to be pretty popular regardless of the brand and they just might give you a bit of give in just resting your fingers on the triggers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Trigger...9158174&sr=8-3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    You might want to try picking up some of trigger extensions for your DS3, the seem to be pretty popular regardless of the brand and they just might give you a bit of give in just resting your fingers on the triggers.
    I use the same ones on all my PS3 controllers. They not only make the triggers more pronounced but they give the entire controller a better feel and grip. I bought a ton of them a year or two ago when they were super cheap. Still have the originals on all my dual-shocks. They stay snapped on perfectly.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Yeah I have a similar product on mine. They're great. Sony dropped the ball then they made the buttons curve backward off the top.

I've always found it comfortable to rest my fingers in between the two should buttons between the first and second knuckle. They don't press either one and they're right there to press if needed.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know what you mean about the L2 and R2 buttons on the PS3 controller although I don't have issues with accidently hitting the them, but they are too sensitive and don't feel sturdy enough. The only alternative I can think of in addition to the solutions already mentioned earlier is trying to track down a decent 3rd party controller. A lot of them are shit though, so be careful what you buy. I wish Razer made a PS3 controller, their 360 controllers are amazing.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 07-10-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never had this problem with the trigger buttons or any uncomfortableness. Maybe because I have big hands? I hope they never change the PS controller.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I also never have problems with accidently hitting them. The PS3 L2/R2 triggers suck compared to the PS1/2 L2/R2 buttons in my opinion and feel less responsive rather than more. Might not help with your interest, but the snap on triggers are a must buy if you don't like the current PS3 triggers.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 07-10-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I've tried resting my fingers between the 1 and 2 buttons like suggestion, and I still seem to find myself bumping them all the time. Perhaps it is just something I will have to deal with.

I wouldn't say I have small hands, as far as I know they're pretty much average. It's just that whenever my fingers go anywhere near those buttons they register the movement.

I will try to pick up some of those trigger extensions whenever I can get them inexpensively, all the sellers seem to make their money on shipping charges, and I'm not sure if it's worth $9 to try some plastic nubs that probably won't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know how well they'd work with PS3 software or even if they'd work at all with Sony's recent controller policies, but what about a wired adapter to use PSX/PS2 controllers? You don't seem to have the same issue with the design used for the first two Dual Shocks, so maybe that will solve the problem for you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good idea, can't believe I didn't think of that! Yeah, I have no problems at all with the DS2, it's probably my favorite controller after the Super Famicom.

Not only that, but Amazon does sell some of those directly, so I can just tack them on my next super saver shipment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I had that problem with the first few controllers I got - they would randomly trigger L2/R2 while watching movies and whatnot, even when sitting across the room untouched. Drove me batty, I ended up buying a Blu-ray remote just so I didn't have to deal with it.

I wonder if it's a defect.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

so then you claw grip the controllers kinda? like you hit l2 and r2 with your middle fingers right? lol you people are a growing minority, i have a few friends that play like that

anyway back to you, i also use real triggers like a couple of members have suggested using, those i imagine would help tremendously, they feel alot sturdier and i often just rest my fingers on the lip of the curve while im watching movies or on the internet

another thing i think you could look into, although a little extreme and i dont even know if you can find them anymore, there was a spring kit someone sold online when the ps3 first came out to turn the r2 and l2 triggers into mock dualshock 2 buttons, might stiffen it up to the point where it wouldnt bother you anymore, or lol like i just realized, you can just buy the ps2/ps3 adapter and use an ordinary dualshock 2 and skip that whole mess

if you're into the xbox 360 controller, power a sells a sturdy 3rd party xbox like controller with stiff ass triggers, theres no way you can push those in by accident, its only 20 dollars to, and the build quality is really really good, only complaint is it fucking sucks for first person shooters that rely on pinpoint precision, the analog sticks have a pretty big deadzone, basically anything other than hip firing is out of the question
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I keep my middle fingers under and behind the triggers, snugly up against the bottom of the controller. When I rest my index fingers between 1 and 2, I am still constantly registering presses just from the side of my fingers barely touching the very top of L/R 2.

I'm a pretty heavy guy, but my hands are probably the thinnest part of my body by far, no "sausage fingers" here.