Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Largest Video Game Collection?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Canada's Largest Video Game Collection?

http://www.sydbolton.com/

I was perusing the web and I came across this and I'm a little confused who brands people "top" collectors?

It says he is the top collector in Canada (according to the CBC) but there's an old school collector up there with way more games than that already....

It also states he was the first person in North America to acquire a complete XBOX collection in June 2011? I've had that finished myself for well over a year and I am sure others have finished it besides me...

I don't know, in this day and age I see a lot of claims about a lot of stuff these days but I just don't get how people "assume" they have more games than everyone else or how they would know they have complete collections over others...there's a ton of people who just don't talk about their stuff...
    Last edited by DreamTR; 07-10-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its just like fighting. When you think you are the best fighter in the world.. there is always someone out there that will knock you on your ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

He completed the Xbox collection in 2001? Wasn't that the year the console came out? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult in that case, not too many games had come out at that point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Its just like fighting. When you think you are the best fighter in the world.. there is always someone out there that will knock you on your ass.
    Unless you are Anderson Silva. Everytime someone new comes to take their shot at beating him he either knocks them out or submits them(I think he's only been to a decision twice since becoming champ). He's been the best middleweight fighter in the world for 5 years straight. If nobody comes around to beat him soon he'll probably retire from boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    He completed the Xbox collection in 2001? Wasn't that the year the console came out? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult in that case, not too many games had come out at that point.
    That was a typo on Dream's part. In the picture it says June 2011 is when he completed his Xbox collection.

It is a fairly large collection, one that I'm sure he has played less than half of all those games. But I definitely wouldn't mind having all of those myself....except the early Atari systems. I'd give those away to charity.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

His collection doesn't seem too remarkable. Hell, half of it is last generation, I consider that crap filler at the moment because it's so cheap and easy to get in mass compared to more retro systems. He also seems to only collect US releases which are considerably cheaper than imports. He is certainly more of a quantity over quality fellow. And, while having a vast quantity is a nice achievement, it should not be what determines who is at the "top."
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I know the guy on another forum, he runs a computer museum in Canada and occasionally has "game nights" where he invites the public to take a look through his collection and play games. He mostly collects PC stuff though, anything vintage.

Here's his PC stuff, that's the largest part of his collection. It's the computers and computer games that makes his collection the largest(supposedly), not the console stuff alone.
    http://www.pcmuseum.ca/

More info about his collection;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMLASTYIq_8

I've never been to any of that stuff as it's too far away from me, I've never met him in person. The only other collector I know of with a huge collection is Jumpman Jr, but he's only into Nintendo stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK so here I am - time to reply.

First of all, it was the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation) that declared me as the top collector - not me personally. A true journalist made the claim, after doing his own research. While it is true that not everyone "talks" about their collection, if they don't then there is no sure way to know.

As far as my collection goes, I am not sure why it matters how the collection is split up. Since I have never published the breakdown of my collection, I am not sure how anyone can say - one way or the other - how much of my collection is "old school" vs. current generation. What defines old school anyways? That varies in everyone's opinion.

Here's what I can tell you. Someone had to make the claim - and I am happy to do it, because it draws attention to the Personal Computer Museum. The museum is a not for profit (and charitable) organization I started over 5 years ago with no government funding with the purpose of preserving old computers, video games and everything that surrounds it. We give school tours, refurbish old computers for families that can't afford them and bring back ALL KINDS of great positive memories for so many people.

As for breakdown, I have over 8,000 CONSOLE games ... the exact number hasn't been nailed down because I am still cataloging. It might be closer to 8,500. And there are well over 3,000 original computer games in the collection. Again, probably more but we are feverishly cataloging them.

That brings the total to a minimum of 11,000 original video games in the collection. If someone in Canada has more than that, I would love to know!

It's not a challenge or a claim I make for personal attention. I do it to bring attention to video games and computers as a whole - as an acceptable hobby, as a worthwhile historical project, and because I love sharing the collection with other like minded people--like you guys here. I have been told countless times that I am an inspiration to other collectors that have come and seen the collection in person. If any of you knew me personally, you would know that those are my motivations and what it is I do what I do. The collection has become a research resource already (it has been used in several big projects which you will hear about shortly) and as the generations get older - the "current gen" stuff will become "old school" stuff soon enough.

I hope that explains it.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sydric View Post
    First of all, it was the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation) that declared me as the top collector - not me personally. A true journalist made the claim, after doing his own research.
    That's Dream's point - the "journalist" (Peter Nowak) didn't do any actual research, and his editor(s) also dropped the ball by not following up. It's 2011. It's not difficult to go online to a popular game collecting forum and ask around for feedback before making an unfounded claim.

As for breakdown, I have over 8,000 CONSOLE games ... the exact number hasn't been nailed down because I am still cataloging. It might be closer to 8,500. And there are well over 3,000 original computer games in the collection. Again, probably more but we are feverishly cataloging them.

That brings the total to a minimum of 11,000 original video games in the collection. If someone in Canada has more than that, I would love to know!
    Shoddy journalism. How can Nowak make a claim if he doesn't even know what your actual numbers are? And the claim is "top video game collector." If that's the definition, adding computer games to the mix is irrelevant.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Is this you?

http://www.funmansion.com/pics/huge_...ollection.html

If not, pretty sure he's from Vancouver and he's got you beat.

Edit: What AA said.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Is this you?

Portnoyd hit it right on the money, that's the guy I was referring to with more games that I knew just off the top of my head. Just didn't mention pics or names.

Arcade Antics also hit on my point, it's the research done on the whole thing. It doesn't matter if it is for charity/research/whatever, etc. It's the fact that the people that "claimed" this was the largest allowed Syd to go with it and it's all over his website and on Wikipedia on top of all that....

All I was saying is that you can't simply have someone come in and "claim" it is the largest collection unless more research was made. The old school gentleman's collection from Canada has been on the web for awhile and I've known the guy since 1998-99 myself right before PayPal existed and I was trading with him via money orders and all that, lol....

It is a nice start towards a museum, that's for sure, but it's not the largest in Canada, that's all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Is this you?

This is a bit off-topic, but Jesus! How do you get to the games on the back shelves?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...and on our next episode of Hoarders...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

smashed brother, I think he had his doubles and some of his flea market stuff in there during that time, who knows what it looks like now, lol

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will be my last reply to this thread.

First of all, someone who is a seller/retailer of video games cannot and should not be considered as a collector. That collection is essentially "inventory" and does not count as being a true collector. Argue if you wish, but that's a highly shared opinion. I could increase my collection easily if I started a store and took trades all day long. How is that collecting?

Secondly, adding the computer games to the mix is absolutely relevant and allowed. They are video games. Are you telling me that "Platoon" on the Commodore 64 is somehow less than a video game than the NES version (graphics and sound differences aside?). If you think that, then you don't know what video games are.

Thirdly, to anyone who claims to have a complete Xbox collection ... I would love to challenge you on that considering that until recently, an actual ACCURATE complete list of what comprises an Xbox collection DID NOT EXIST. Not on this forum (items missing), not on Wikipedia (don't get me started about the issues there) - not ANYWHERE. If anyone who claims to have a complete Xbox list would care to send me a list of their collection I'd be happy to validate it for you. I have spent many hours researching this situation and have even gone so far to contact Microsoft about it.

Believe what you will, think what you will. I DID give Peter Nowak my numbers - that is how he made the determination. He did not publish a breakdown. That's all. I never said I didn't give out my numbers--I said I didn't give out a breakdown and I was referring to the claim that "most of my collection is PC based" (untrue BTW) etc. My point was, unless you have talked to me, how on EARTH can you make assumptions about what my collection is comprised of? It just doesn't make sense.

The bottom line? I have been declared Canada's top video game collector. If someone else has a larger collection, speak up! Show us your numbers. Retailers/sellers don't need apply. And MOST importantly - collecting is supposed to be fun and a challenge and something positive for us to be involved in. If you're going to be negative, go somewhere else!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will be my last reply to this thread.

First of all, someone who is a seller/retailer of video games cannot and should not be considered as a collector. That collection is essentially "inventory" and does not count as being a true collector. Argue if you wish, but that's a highly shared opinion. I could increase my collection easily if I started a store and took trades all day long. How is that collecting?

Secondly, adding the computer games to the mix is absolutely relevant and allowed. They are video games. Are you telling me that "Platoon" on the Commodore 64 is somehow less than a video game than the NES version (graphics and sound differences aside?). If you think that, then you don't know what video games are.

Thirdly, to anyone who claims to have a complete Xbox collection ... I would love to challenge you on that considering that until recently, an actual ACCURATE complete list of what comprises an Xbox collection DID NOT EXIST. Not on this forum (items missing), not on Wikipedia (don't get me started about the issues there) - not ANYWHERE. If anyone who claims to have a complete Xbox list would care to send me a list of their collection I'd be happy to validate it for you. I have spent many hours researching this situation and have even gone so far to contact Microsoft about it.

Believe what you will, think what you will. I DID give Peter Nowak my numbers - that is how he made the determination. He did not publish a breakdown. That's all. I never said I didn't give out my numbers--I said I didn't give out a breakdown and I was referring to the claim that "most of my collection is PC based" (untrue BTW) etc. My point was, unless you have talked to me, how on EARTH can you make assumptions about what my collection is comprised of? It just doesn't make sense.

The bottom line? I have been declared Canada's top video game collector. If someone else has a larger collection, speak up! Show us your numbers. Retailers/sellers don't need apply. And MOST importantly - collecting is supposed to be fun and a challenge and something positive for us to be involved in. If you're going to be negative, go somewhere else!
    Trust me. I have a complete North American XBOX Collection. www.gamedude.com, www.xbox.com, it's not hard to find every single game out there. Had it done for a couple of years now. Heck, I even have an NTSC copy of Barbarian that plays on a retail unit and that Steel Battalion test thing and unreleasd stuff like the NTSC King of Fighters 94 Reboot; so I am pretty sure I have that all covered...

Saying that someone who is a retailer/reseller shouldn't have their games counted towards a collection is naive. If you keep store inventory separate and games in your personal collection at home, I don't see what the problem is. EVERYONE sells stuff once in awhile.

In fact, by all means, open a store. I opened an arcade/game store and I've picked up "maybe" 20-30 games for my personal collection from there in the 3+ years I have been open.

I count games as "unique" titles or variants on each system. Not doubles. I have well over 16,000 different games and complete in box collections of who knows how many game systems...I don't exactly advertise this every five seconds but my stuff has been filmed and people have been here to see it...I had all of this stuff BEFORE I opened an arcade...Heck, I have 225 arcade and pinball machines to go along with this.

What is my point? I am sure someone out there has more stuff than I do, but I have a lot of really crazy unique one of a kind items (protos, NWCs, all the rares you can think of, etc) that makes what I have stand out, but you just can't "assume" you have the "top" collection in Canada because someone said so who isn't involved in this community or knows about all the collectors.

The guy I showed all the pics of that has a flea market booth, we don't know what he has that are separate and flea market; I am sure he has doubles, and I am sure they are integrated, but if you sell on eBay ONCE you are a seller. IF you have EVER sold a video game in your life to someone, you are a reseller/seller; you can't change that fact, but I do agree keeping store/personal inventory separately is important but you seriously have to be naive to think that someone's collection of that stature would not "count."

What would make sense is if you actually denoted precisely what stuff you had in terms of numbers for unique titles.

For example: I have 900 unique NES Games (PAL, NTSC, CIB NTSC collection) and 750 unique Famicom and Famicom disk system games and 350 unique NES prototype carts, so I know just with NES alone I have 2,000 games...breakdowns like that would give your stuff more validity; your pics show loose Genesis games and a lot of stuff that doesn't properly transfer to what a "collection" is.

How many games do you have for each? What are you missing? Are you collecting complete in box for this museum?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, and you do have an impressive collection, but it's not Canada's best or "top" at all; there are just too many people out there that do NOT talk about what they have....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually had the pleasure of filming Dream's stuff for a feature I directed/produced (coming soon, I think). I've had access to several "top" collections and very few can touch his.

Not that it resolves the issue at hand, but he knows his shite and has an awe-inspiring amount of stuff in remarkable condition.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'll chime in on behalf of Canada and point out this guy's from Ontario.

Not Canada.

CBC often considers Ontario to be all of Canada, it's a well known issue with them.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If people who run stores shouldn't count their video game collections, then neither should those who run a museum...

I'm probably not the guy you want to play the xbox collection card against. I've had a complete Xbox collection since 2008, including every japenese and european exclusive title. I know even I'm not the first person to have a complete set. I have 27 prototype xbox consoles, i have the Xbox Alpha Development kits versions 1 and 2, more then 20 xbox development kits, every limited edition xbox console released in the world aside from 3 (the white console given to EA employees, the blue console given to taco bell winners in 2001 and the green Hulk system given to 5 winners in the UK). I have the only known complete Bill Gates Signed Xbox Launch Team kit, including the controllers that were never available to the public.

If your list of games is so much more accurate then wikipedia, why don't you just update it? That's kind of what it's there for... I would think someone running a museum would welcome that kind of public service.

Oh, yeah... and i was on the Xbox 360 Design Team...

Real xbox collectors have the Hello Kitty Xbox:
    http://kotaku.com/332246/hello-kitty...s-totally-real
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 07-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Believe what you will, think what you will. I DID give Peter Nowak my numbers - that is how he made the determination. He did not publish a breakdown. That's all. I never said I didn't give out my numbers
    No, you said this:

If anyone is confused here, it's you and Mr. Nowak. Nowak took your numbers - which you admit are not confirmed - and assumed they were correct.

I said I didn't give out a breakdown and I was referring to the claim that "most of my collection is PC based" (untrue BTW) etc. My point was, unless you have talked to me, how on EARTH can you make assumptions about what my collection is comprised of? It just doesn't make sense.
    What's all this about? The two issues at hand are that a) you admittedly don't have a handle on the actual numbers, and b) Nowak did zero research, he just took what you said at face value. To use your very own argument, unless Nowak talked to other collectors or experts, how on EARTH can he make the assumption that you are the "top collector," especially since you don't even know what you've got on hand?
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Programming Ace: That Bill Gates Launch Team XBOX is different than the one I used to have? I had one that said that in the circular part of the XBOX symbol on the console with his signature with these special green beefy controllers? If I recall the Halo one looked the same with the exception of the controllers and the Bill Gates stuff obviously not in there unless you are referring to ANOTHER version of that because that sounds like the one I used to have....