Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Largest Video Game Collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I really don't see what the big deal is. He's marketing himself and he is posting what someone else has said about him. Personally I would only be bothered if CBC came out and made a correction saying someone else had a bigger collection and he still left it up there.

The xbox collection though..... yeah that's just a little out there claiming to be the first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is bigger than yours. *sigh* So sad.

</thread>
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    I really don't see what the big deal is. He's marketing himself and he is posting what someone else has said about him.
    My thoughts exactly. Personally, I think it's great that he got that title, even if the journalist could've done a better job.

And people who don't "speak up" in any way can't really be counted, can they? If you were to count those, there could never have been made any "top X" awards in anything. Take sports - "fastest runner in the world!", the news might say about a person, but somewhere in the world there are probably several people who can run even faster. Point taken?

As with all "better than you" competitions, unless someone steps up to the plate and proves they're "better", they are not counted. I'm sure Sydric would acknowledge not having the largest collection in Canada if someone else were proven to have a larger collection. In fact, if someone here has a larger collection, or knows of someone who does, and the live in Canada, why not just contact the CBC about it?

I also see his point about people selling and trading items from their collections on a larger scale - sure, you get a lot of games, but in the end it's all inventory. Someone seems to have misunderstood the part about this not being about a seperate collection apart from the inventory, though...

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Mine is bigger than yours. *sigh* So sad.
    This.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I think what we like to see is some humility when you have a large collection and this article wasn't exactly a shining example of it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    I really don't see what the big deal is. He's marketing himself and he is posting what someone else has said about him. Personally I would only be bothered if CBC came out and made a correction saying someone else had a bigger collection and he still left it up there.

The xbox collection though..... yeah that's just a little out there claiming to be the first.
    Yeah but that's the whole thing, first he's claiming he is "not" doing this for personal gratitude when it is obvious it is about "him" more than the museum when you look at his website and Wikipedia thing.

I mean, it's great for marketing, the problem is, he's not "admitting" it is for that, rather pretending to be an innocent bystander with this whole thing...

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    It's not difficult to go online to a popular game collecting forum and ask around for feedback before making an unfounded claim.
    It's not difficult for people in Canada with "bigger" collections to get the word out about themselves either. In fact, it is a hell of a lot easier for video game collectors in Canada with huge collections to find this forum than a hack journalist who is probably working on a deadline and was probably "tipped off" about Syd or actually ordered by his bosses to talk to him.

Without knowing how much work the reporter had on his plate or how long he had to throw the story together, who can honestly say he had time to Google search individual video game forums, sign up on them and hang around long enough to get all the right names and numbers? Yeah, the guy is still a hack, but not every reporter out there has the luxury of writing stories at their leisure, nor are they afforded the necessary weeks/months that some stories require to properly research.

Going back to the Canadians with bigger collections:

If someone is modest or likes to maintain a certain degree of privacy, I can respect that. However, it takes two to properly determine Canada's "top collector." The reporter is just one part of the equation.

I guess the point is, DreamTR shouldn't have to vouch for other people in Canada who have bigger collections. If they gave a shit, they would have come forward themselves by now. If they are too lazy, busy, scared or disinterested to, that isn't Syd's problem.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-11-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Is this the guy who ripped off Jason/DB's stuff awhile back?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess I don't have strong feelings about the whole CBC declared me the winner and so I don't feel the need to correct them discussion. I will agree that his claim of being the first to have a complete Xbox collection in North America is complete BS and really should be corrected as the CBC didn't declare that, he did and now knows that to be false. I also question how he can operate a museum only one day a month and not raise questions from the tax/non-profit regulators about whether this is really just a private collection masquerading as a "museum". I am not familiar with Canadian law on the subject, but I suspect in most states and under Federal law in the United States, you would be hard pressed to maintain non-profit status by being open to the public one day a month in the absence of other civic or educational objectives being otherwise completed.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

he lives in my town and i met him once at one of his spring cleaning yard sales. he is pretty cool.
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Programming Ace: That Bill Gates Launch Team XBOX is different than the one I used to have? I had one that said that in the circular part of the XBOX symbol on the console with his signature with these special green beefy controllers? If I recall the Halo one looked the same with the exception of the controllers and the Bill Gates stuff obviously not in there unless you are referring to ANOTHER version of that because that sounds like the one I used to have....
    There are actually 2 different versions of the green Bill Gates signed consoles. The first was sold to the development team for $500 with 5 games and 2 controllers. It says "Launch Team 2001" and is signed "Great work Bill Gates". The second looks almost identical, but instead of saying Launch Team, it says "Thanks for partnering" with Gate's signature. This one was given to the executives of the companies who helped develop the Xbox (IBM, Nvidia, etc). They're about even for rarity, less then a dozen of each known to exist.

Fun fact: it was cheaper for the launch team to go to walmart and buy a console then to purchase the launch team model from Microsoft. I don't think many were bought. For the 360, Microsoft gave the launch team their specialized console for free.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do you guys have Halo 2? Halo 2 is totally hard to get. Steelbook Edition.
    #vbender

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    It's not difficult for people in Canada with "bigger" collections to get the word out about themselves either. In fact, it is a hell of a lot easier for video game collectors in Canada with huge collections to find this forum than a hack journalist who is probably working on a deadline and was probably "tipped off" about Syd or actually ordered by his bosses to talk to him.

Without knowing how much work the reporter had on his plate or how long he had to throw the story together, who can honestly say he had time to Google search individual video game forums, sign up on them and hang around long enough to get all the right names and numbers? Yeah, the guy is still a hack, but not every reporter out there has the luxury of writing stories at their leisure, nor are they afforded the necessary weeks/months that some stories require to properly research.

Going back to the Canadians with bigger collections:

If someone is modest or likes to maintain a certain degree of privacy, I can respect that. However, it takes two to properly determine Canada's "top collector." The reporter is just one part of the equation.

I guess the point is, DreamTR shouldn't have to vouch for other people in Canada who have bigger collections. If they gave a shit, they would have come forward themselves by now. If they are too lazy, busy, scared or disinterested to, that isn't Syd's problem.
    Bangtango: Yeah, I agree on that, but the dude is going with it, though...he's going with the "top" collector thing as a huge marketing thing and that's the problem itself; it is incorrect. I mean, who the heck even knew about this to begin with? I just don't see anything in here except what bojay mentioned, a man's "personal" collection being submitted as museum which is not the same thing.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Except that it's not their job. It's a reporter's job to be accurate and to do research.

Then the story shouldn't be printed until there is time to do it right. Otherwise, why not just make up the entire article?
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then the story shouldn't be printed until there is time to do it right. Otherwise, why not just make up the entire article?
    Isn't that 3/4 of news now anyway?

Regardless, I know Syd and he does run a VERY cool Computer Museum just down the road from me. It is very much a non-profit venture with a board of directors and everything from what I understand, and it's open by appointment as well as specific days. He does all sorts of neighborhood functions, recycling drives, all sorts of things. Don't be bashing the museum. It's definitely separate from his collection.

He also has a very impressive personal collection and is NOT a braggart about it. He gives tours of his place all the time too. He has been getting a lot of press locally and doing a lot of public speaking as well, so it's not surprising that CBC would do an article at all. If you guys don't like what the article says...email the journalist.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Yeah but that's the whole thing, first he's claiming he is "not" doing this for personal gratitude when it is obvious it is about "him" more than the museum when you look at his website and Wikipedia thing.

I mean, it's great for marketing, the problem is, he's not "admitting" it is for that, rather pretending to be an innocent bystander with this whole thing...
    The first thing that stuck out about this whole ordeal is his name-domain and his face on the page. Not lining up at all...

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    Isn't that 3/4 of news now anyway?
    Sadly, yes.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Except that it's not their job. It's a reporter's job to be accurate and to do research.
    I know it isn't the same thing, but it isn't American Idol's job to go door-to-door looking for the best singers. Their job is to weed out people who show up at tryouts. A guy can't bitch about being a great singer with star potential who has never been discovered if he never showed up to the American Idol tryouts in his town.

How is someone supposed to "find" him otherwise? Idol would never get a new season on the air if they had to chase millions of leads across the country or "research" without running any tryouts.

Just like the Guinness Book of World Records isn't obligated to go door-to-door looking for the world's fattest man or the guy who has eaten the most pieces of Godfather's Pizza in a single sitting. That'd take forever. At some point, they gotta depend on people to come forward and take credit for these sort of things, which is why they ask for submissions.

If I felt I had Canada's biggest collection and was concerned about someone with a smaller collection taking credit for being Canada's "top collector", I wouldn't be couch surfing with a Slurpee, a bag of Doritos and Season 3 of Lois and Clark. I'd be contacting somebody.

How long ago did CBC do this article and how long has Syd been taking credit for being Canada's top collector? There's no excuse for guys with bigger collections to have not come forward by now and say "That's wrong." I'd have done it in a heartbeat, if it were me.

Right, but if the reporter is given an assignment to do the story and if he isn't given a decent amount of time from his company to complete it, that isn't the reporter's fault. That is CBC's fault.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you entirely, considering a story about Canada's top video game collector is hardly an urgent matter that ought to be rushed into completion.
    Last edited by bangtango; 07-12-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local paper verified me as having the largest video game collection on my block. I am also the first known person to have a 100% complete Tiger R-Zone collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    My local paper verified me as having the largest video game collection on my block. I am also the first known person to have a 100% complete Tiger R-Zone collection.
    I live alone in a two-story house in the country, but it hasn't been verified yet that I have the largest video game collection in my household. At least not solidly.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a large ePenis. Biggest in the mall.