Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Largest Video Game Collection?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

The guy must have a sad life! having to take care of all those games can't be easy and time consuming.

most people collect games they like and play often!
    collecting just for the sake of collecting?
    I bet my username that one can't play that many games from start to finish on a proper manner if you also have a normal lifestyle like most people do family time, work and stuff not just that sad video game obsession!

what you have after the title of the greatest collector is an empty room with walls covered in plastic with stickers on top! so sad

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mastamuzz View Post
    The guy must have a sad life! having to take care of all those games can't be easy and time consuming.

most people collect games they like and play often!
    collecting just for the sake of collecting?
    I bet my username that one can't play that many games from start to finish on a proper manner if you also have a normal lifestyle like most people do family time, work and stuff not just that sad video game obsession!

what you have after the title of the greatest collector is an empty room with walls covered in plastic with stickers on top! so sad

I collect for the sake of collecting. People collect all kinds of different things. I just happen to collect video games. There isn't anything wrong with that. Of course my collection is nothing like this guy's. I used to be a gamer and a collector. Then I got married and had kids. I might have played 3 hours of video games in the last 8 years. I just think collecting is enjoyable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could you break down how many different GB, GBC and GBA you have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well this thread is definitely humbling. I thought getting a Mountain Dew Xbox Complete in Box or Sealed was a nifty item to a Xbox collector. I didn't realize there were more Xbox console variants than funtastic N64 controllers...

Nice read though.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Quote Originally Posted by horseboy View Post
    I collect for the sake of collecting. People collect all kinds of different things. I just happen to collect video games. There isn't anything wrong with that. Of course my collection is nothing like this guy's. I used to be a gamer and a collector. Then I got married and had kids. I might have played 3 hours of video games in the last 8 years. I just think collecting is enjoyable.
    and that is the secret answer!
    you got married and you can't play anymore and your collection is not as big as that guy's. secretly inside you there is a gamer that still wants those games not just the collector so you are not only collecting for the fun of it! so you as I posted have a normal life like everyone else and you enjoy the other aspects of life instead of sickly obsessing over video games (this as far as your answer let us see I could be so wrong) so not because you want that guy's collection means you will have it!

some of us that collected games for many years can tell you lots of stories about selling most of our stuff because of the mayor events on a mans life and starting all over again when you settled and started missing all your sold stuff, each time you start over you become wiser and more specific on what you want and the conditions!

as far as I know big collection equals no time for a healthy life, for a wise collector and\or gamer the secret is quality over quantity! having a Barbie game besides Gears Of War makes no sense! unless you want to become one of those lame internet douche reviewers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as far as I know big collection equals no time for a healthy life
    And you would be very wrong. A whole lot of folks here have very impressive and sizable collections (bigger than our canadian braggart even) and still have time for families, careers, and other hobbies.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    And you would be very wrong. A whole lot of folks here have very impressive and sizable collections (bigger than our canadian braggart even) and still have time for families, careers, and other hobbies.
    first hand info or just a guess?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

First hand, as, at the very least, I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

first hand info or just a guess?
    Very much first hand. I've personally met most of the mods here as well as folks like Joe, John, Sean, Portnoyd, DreamTR, Ianoid, Marriott_Guy, etc and all of them fall into a category of having a great life and amazing collections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    http://www.sydbolton.com/

I was perusing the web and I came across this and I'm a little confused who brands people "top" collectors?

It says he is the top collector in Canada (according to the CBC) but there's an old school collector up there with way more games than that already....

It also states he was the first person in North America to acquire a complete XBOX collection in June 2011? I've had that finished myself for well over a year and I am sure others have finished it besides me...

I don't know, in this day and age I see a lot of claims about a lot of stuff these days but I just don't get how people "assume" they have more games than everyone else or how they would know they have complete collections over others...there's a ton of people who just don't talk about their stuff...
    I find it interesting that this bothers you enough to start a thread and argument about it. Must be some jealousy there. Who gives a shit anyway. Enjoy your collection because to YOU, that's all that should matter. This all sounds petty and stupid.

The comments bitching and whining about who's is biggest makes you sound like a bunch of jealous children.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Yorkey
    Why don't you stop collecting games like a faggot and tell me how you really feel!
    Quote of the fucking year, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I find it interesting that this bothers you enough to start a thread and argument about it. Must be some jealousy there. Who gives a shit anyway. Enjoy your collection because to YOU, that's all that should matter. This all sounds petty and stupid.

The comments bitching and whining about who's is biggest makes you sound like a bunch of jealous children.
    It's just the shoddy journalism that has everyone up in arms, but since when is that new? The fact that it pertains to video game collecting seems to have hit a sensitive spot with a lot of members here.
    Last edited by Doonzmore; 08-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    daddypushi

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    Very much first hand. I've personally met most of the mods here as well as folks like Joe, John, Sean, Portnoyd, DreamTR, Ianoid, Marriott_Guy, etc and all of them fall into a category of having a great life and amazing collections.
    so if it's not you then is 2nd hand thanks for clearing that up!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and that is the secret answer!
    you got married and you can't play anymore and your collection is not as big as that guy's. secretly inside you there is a gamer that still wants those games not just the collector so you are not only collecting for the fun of it! so you as I posted have a normal life like everyone else and you enjoy the other aspects of life instead of sickly obsessing over video games (this as far as your answer let us see I could be so wrong) so not because you want that guy's collection means you will have it!

some of us that collected games for many years can tell you lots of stories about selling most of our stuff because of the mayor events on a mans life and starting all over again when you settled and started missing all your sold stuff, each time you start over you become wiser and more specific on what you want and the conditions!

as far as I know big collection equals no time for a healthy life, for a wise collector and\or gamer the secret is quality over quantity! having a Barbie game besides Gears Of War makes no sense! unless you want to become one of those lame internet douche reviewers!
    I never said my collection wasn't big. I only said it wasn't anywhere near as large as the real BIG dogs. I have my fair share of stuff.

Your assumptions are still a little off. I have been collecting since the mid 90's. Many years before I stopped gaming. I think everybody can do whatever they want and have balance in their lives as long as they prioritize correctly. There are many many many more people that have lost "real life" to gaming than there are people that lost it to collecting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol!!! Is this the best you can do? I swear, the trolls around this place are getting to be laughable!

Actually, my collection, though not the size of some of the ones I listed, comes in at right about 4,000 games. Hardly small by pretty much anybody's definition. With that, I manage to maintain a full time job, attend classes to further my career, spend time with my wife, keep my dogs well exercised, travel extensively (spent the past 2 weeks traveling), maintain a house, maintain several cars, and still have time to pursue not only my other hobbies, but spend time playing and hunting for video games.

So if you want "first hand" knowledge, yes, I can offer that and yes, you are incorrect in your assumption. Maybe from your perspective it's not possible, but I've given you several names that prove that it is indeed possible to have not only a sizable and quality collection, but also a meaningful life away from the hobby. Perhaps you can't manage it, but it is certainly possible.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Dynamite comeback right there. Look out, this guy's on fire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The clique has spoken your collection is invalid. You now have the smallest video game collection in Canada, Thanks for playing.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. The only thing that bothered me is that he acquired such a large collection and is only now posting on Digital Press. Where's he been? How come he is only now cataloguing?

Game CollectorZ is a good choice of software.

Dude's console collection is impressive, but as was mentioned the retro-PC portion was more impressive.

DreamTR has 225 arcade/pinball machines?? Really...or is that PCB's. That would be one awesome arcade.

I disagree that any true Xbox collector needs to have a Hello Kitty Xbox...but I respect those who disagree...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sydric View Post
    Are you telling me that "Platoon" on the Commodore 64 is somehow less than a video game than the NES version (graphics and sound differences aside?).
    It is if it isn't cartridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore View Post

It's just the shoddy journalism that has everyone up in arms, but since when is that new? The fact that it pertains to video game collecting seems to have hit a sensitive spot with a lot of members here.
    I never heard the initial claim but even I'd see it as spurious considering some of the collections I've seen online.

It still all seems like a trivial thing to get up in arms about. Since when do journalists ever get facts right anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Wow. The only thing that bothered me is that he acquired such a large collection and is only now posting on Digital Press. Where's he been?
    Because DP is the center of the universe and EVERYONE must participate in the glory and honor or posting here?

I've been collecting for 20 years and I don't have a high post count here. What does DP matter really?

I'd assume someone told him about this little thread and he felt compelled to defend himself, right or wrong.

Let me know when it becomes a world wide law that all owners of huge video game collections must sign up and post regularly at the might Digitpress.