Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    IamCarbonDog

Unhappy Need advice on buying a neo geo mvs 2 slot

Ive been looking for a Neo Geo MVS 2-4 slot in my area for a while. I found out that the closest one to me is in a pawn shop about 30 minutes away from my house. Its a 2 slot, with a new screen, the side of the cabinet is cracked, and half the buttons dont work. The idiot wants $750! FOR IT! I know hes crazy. He tries to fill my head with lies about it being able to sell really quick even though I know that its been there for over 3 years. I am not paying $750 for it, what do you think is a reasonable offer on it? Im thinking around $300

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Unless you were specifically looking for the actual stand-up experience, you could build a Consolized MVS for about that price, a smidge more if you wanted Component out. Between a beautifully compact CMVS hooked up to any TV, and paying $300 for something that sounds like it needs that much more in repair work, I'd say just go for the CMVS.

The model I have was done by XianXi over at http://jamma-nation-x.com

It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It's the 2 slot with Memory Card Reader MVS Board, has AV, S-Vid, and Component out, and has the Bios Chip with the cheat program in it.

A pic of what mine looks like is here:
    http://jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/2cmvs.jpg

Just a suggestion.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCARBONDOG View Post
    Ive been looking for a Neo Geo MVS 2-4 slot in my area for a while. I found out that the closest one to me is in a pawn shop about 30 minutes away from my house. Its a 2 slot, with a new screen, the side of the cabinet is cracked, and half the buttons dont work. The idiot wants $750! FOR IT! I know hes crazy. He tries to fill my head with lies about it being able to sell really quick even though I know that its been there for over 3 years. I am not paying $750 for it, what do you think is a reasonable offer on it? Im thinking around $300
    You think a guy asking $750 for a broken game is going to entertain a reasonable offer? Skip this thing and wait for one that works. You should be able to find a working unit in good condition for $350 or less.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The going rate from what I've seen over the years is anywhere from 200-450 for a 1/2/4 slot machine in good working condition. It just depends on the seller. Unfortunately, the seller you've found seems to want way too much.

$750 would be what you'd be looking at for a completely restored machine, as I've seen the 4 slots go for $800 on the high end.

Best thing to do with the pawnshop seller is walk away. It's sad, but I see it happen on craigslist all the time, you try and "reason" with the seller and they don't wanna hear it. You won't ever get it cheaper from him later, because he will definitely find a sucker to pay it, just don't be the sucker...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    IamCarbonDog

Its the only one I can find. I know that I could easily fix the buttons and joystick, because one of my friends does arcade restoration. The only real problem is getting it cheap and the crack on the side of it. I wont pay more that $300 though for it. And I dont want a consolized version

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I dont want a consolized version
    Hold out for a cab. And it is never "the only one." Everytime I think that (with whatever it is I want to buy) another one, or multiples, pop up within a month or two. Try craigslist or local ebay auctions.

A pawn shop is actually kind of shady, I wouldn't even look at a place like that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) weaponepsilon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    weapon epsilon
    PSN
    weapon epsilon

Go onto ebay, buy a cheap MVS board. Go onto Craigslist, find a cheap cabinet. Thats what I did.
    Currently owned:

52 platforms; 67 individual systems; 912 singular games (0 doubles!); 2 arcade cabs

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

See if there are any arcade auctions going on nearby. While they can be risky, you can come out with a good cab if you know what to look for. Our 4 slot came from auctions. Other than a little cleanup, it works great.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist. Cabs come up all the time in NJ, only a matter of time for a Neo.

Insert Coin (Level 0) tentencanidae's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    jeremycomitas

I have a little advice for you, being that I have one.

I paid A LOT more for mine. You may think a ridiculous amount.. but it was an all 100% original 4-Slot MVS from California with the original serial number/import stickers still on it and whatnot. It's definitely had its use, but I paid $600, and then another $400 to make it completely working.

That includes a monitor recapping and reconditioning, a new power supply, new flat panel LED lights for the switching marquee, and a new control panel.. etc.

I'm literally at $1000 at this point.

TRUST ME.. Skip that machine and keep your eyes open for the next.

These cabs are SO much heavier than any other Jamma cabs I've come across. It was damned near impossible to get the thing (25" model) down to the basement, and now that it's there.. it's never going to be able to come out in one piece.

So... I would most definitely get one in better shape from the get-go.

No doubt you will make little repair projects here and there, but you don't wanna overpay for a beater, and then be stuck trying to make repair projects on a cab that is very difficult to maneuver around.

All I have left is a tiny filler patch to do on the wood to the left of the marquee, and replace the T-Molding, and mine will be like new. I can't imagine if I had to do major repainting or any other bigger repairs that required sanding or paint fumes in my finished basement.

Or... at the very least, get a beater for less than what that guys asking, and if you have a garage to work in.. complete it there first. I'm also saying all of this assuming you want it fully restored... Because if you want a beater, pay no more than $400, and you're all set.

Lastly, if you or anyone else are interested. I am selling my original Neo-Geo CD Front Loader from Japan. It's New In Box, never played, still in plastic with a new boxed controller and all paperwork. Literally untampered with. I opened the carboard box to see the contents to make sure I wasn't buying a used VCR, and then upon seeing it's minty glory, i closed it back up, and shelved it. The cardboard box was never factory sealed. I've never seen a nicer system.

Good luck with your search.
    TenTenCanidae
    Collects NES games & RPG's for all systems.
    www.myspace.com/peeweesbike
    www.myspace.com/bayonetdoesntcare

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am looking at picking an authentic Neo Geo 2 slot machine this weekend. I am told the cost is $1700. I did look at it and it is in perfect working order with a very solid case. Nothing has been restored as not much needs to be anyway. Has some wear, but it also comes with 18 MVS carts. Would this be a decent price? The monitor has no burn in either and the machine internally is very clean. Externally it could use a bit of "touch up", but again not too bad at all. Looking on eBay I could sell 16 out of the 18 games and come out with close to a grand for those, but again they are really only worth what someone would pay for them anyway.
    Last edited by Mikatu; 02-11-2016 at 10:27 AM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikatu View Post
    I am looking at picking an authentic Neo Geo 2 slot machine this weekend. I am told the cost is $1700. I did look at it and it is in perfect working order with a very solid case. Nothing has been restored as not much needs to be anyway. Has some wear, but it also comes with 18 MVS carts. Would this be a decent price? The monitor has no burn in either and the machine internally is very clean. Externally it could use a bit of "touch up", but again not too bad at all. Looking on eBay I could sell 16 out of the 18 games and come out with close to a grand for those, but again they are really only worth what someone would pay for them anyway.
    Depends on what 18 carts they are, but $1700 sounds super high. I bought my one slot on craigslist for $150 with Metal Slug and a 25" monitor. One of my friends bought his 4 slot with 5 carts that included Windjammers for $200. Nothing about the hardware on a 2 slot is uncommon, so at that price it ought to come with some of the harder to get, legitimate carts, like Twinkle Star Sprites, Super Dodgeball, Neo Bomberman, etc.