Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Digital Press /Portable/ Rarity Guide

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    They could install with the APK installer, that's never a problem. It's on iOS the functionality's limited.
    Ah. Thought you were talking about Droid.

Where iOS is concerned, if the maximum number of free developer codes is exceeded nz17 can just send a "gift purchase" of the app to anybody who pledged, cost for that can come right out of the development fund, and if he starts off the pricing of the app with a launch sale within the first 24 hours or so, it can even minimize that as an expense.

There's always creative solutions where these things are concerned.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

They discourage the gifting/etc. in most storefronts unless they're getting their cut of downloads. That 30% profit, excluding bandwidth costs...

I think if at least a working demo/alpha could be produced there would be more interest in the product - it's near impossible to get funding with just a project outline, particularly with such high aspirations.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    They discourage the gifting/etc. in most storefronts unless they're getting their cut of downloads. That 30% profit, excluding bandwidth costs...

I think if at least a working demo/alpha could be produced there would be more interest in the product - it's near impossible to get funding with just a project outline, particularly with such high aspirations.
    An iOS App Store "gift purchase" is a full price paid purchase with no discount, I'm not really sure why they'd discourage it.

nz17, when the product is Alpha, will you make it available to community members who want to participate in testing?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    He has, they're called Tony Hawk Ride and Tony Hawk Shred. You may have heard of them. Not to mention working on BFA. While on a higher scale than your project, I think it's fair to say he knows what he's talking about.
    I suppose I need finer accuracy to explain what I meant. Despite the commercial nature of those games, what I was referring to was the specific development and deployment of applications for mobile platforms. I don't doubt that ProgrammingAce is a programmer - his opinions make this easy to know - nor do I doubt him capable of making a mobile app.

What my statement was trying to point out is that there is much more to the commercial success of a program than just the programming, and there are all sorts of pitfalls and gotchas in the world of mobile development especially when considering deploying on multiple platforms. The ronin developer is not to be envied for he needs to be PR, marketing, programming, business, art, and more all rolled into one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    So you're spending all of this time to make an app that uses and relies on the DP database and the only way to submit a correction is to go to a PC, log in to DP, post on a forum, and hope that one of the database maintainers fixes it. Instead of using the application that's already in their hand...
    I didn't design the method of creation, I'm just turning it into a useful mobile app. Perhaps in the future something will be made with this idea in mind, but for now that's outside of this app's scope and it would add an unneeded layer of complication to something that doesn't need to be complex.

Since you're asking for donations to purchase a new PC, why not buy the Mac from that? You could do the Android and iOS versions from the same system, and not require the purchase of an additional PC.
    Because as the original budget outline clearly demonstrates, only $400 has been allocated for a PC. If you know of a good source for $400 Intel Macs, please enlighten us.

How is this volunteering? You're being paid up front, and after the application is delivered. You're asking everyone else to take the risk. We have to trust that after paying you $4,600, you'll produce an app. It seems a reasonable risk, but the risk is on us, not you. Take a look at sourceforge for all the applications that started with good intentions, but were never completed.
    First of all, don't be hating on Sourceforge's projects. Many good men and women started those free of charge and free of restriction, and life doesn't always work out for programs or people. Everyone flocks to the biggies no matter if they are in the open source world or not, and it is difficult to get the attention of people if you aren't gigantic.

Second, I am volunteering because technically voluntarism doesn't have to be at no cost. It just means somebody is willing to undertake a responsibility or action without being forced. And while I'm no professional applications programmer, I imagine that the amount I'm asking for is way under par for this kind of development.

Third, I don't see a dime through Kickstarter unless the $2600 goal is met. That's right, despite the generous contributions we've seen so far, I've still only received $0.00 and it'll stay that way if we don't obtain the grand total. No loss for pledging to a project that doesn't make it.

And why do you seem to have a problem with money being made from this project? Don't you want to see this Web site, as well as all the other DP-branded initiatives, this entire collective of video game knowledge and community, survive past the founder's charity? I know that Joe Santulli likes to pay for this site, the store, the magazine, the guide, and all those other little bits that make up DP, but one day that will stop and then where will we be? And I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to see Joe's generosity be repaid by having his projects not be a source of financial burden, but actually pay him back ten fold for all he has given. Have others given of their time and effort? Certainly. Of money? Of course. But no one has given more than Joe, and while 15% isn't 100%, he certainly appreciates the giving as he expects nothing back from this endeavor even if it is a huge success.

Fourth, $4600 divided by the 16,743 user accounts here is only $0.27 per person. Even if you only wanted to count the 1,296 active accounts, that's still only $3.55 per person. And shockingly enough, I think 1300 people can stand to have $5 less than one person can stand to be out $4600 by himself. But then again, I did say that this project will go forth even if we only make our $2600 goal, so I suppose all of those numbers should really be less per person.

And I can't see how anyone would consider me untrustworthy. The whole site, nay, the whole server is under my jurisdiction. I don't think I'd be entrusted with such a responsibility if I wasn't deserving of it.

Maybe i wasn't clear. I'm not claiming you're charging any individual twice, but the community as a whole.
    OK, how does the community pay twice? Each person who wants a copy of the app pays once, either now or later. Collectively, that means the community pays for the app once. People are free to pledge $5, $100, $0, just wait until the app is released, or pay nothing forever. Nobody is getting short changed.

Your only real audience for this app is the DP community, which is the same community you're asking for donations from.
    Funny enough, DP does not encompass the whole audience for this app. There are many game collectors who have never been here who would want this. There are many non-collectors who just want to see what their games are worth or how uncommon they are. And despite the fact that this information is available in a variety of ways, many people prefer the convenience of a mobile app.

Gah, I need to start promoting this at other places more.

On that note, how exactly will you be giving the free copies of the iOS version to the people who donate? As Skaar said, you have a limited number of free codes for a published iOS app.
    OK, let's try this again: The only, single fundraiser will fund the Android version. This gets complimentary copies of the Android version to those who contributed. Sales from the Android version past this point fund other versions. Other versions include iOS. There are no "free" copies for iOS. That is because that version won't have a fundraiser.

This is just rude and disingenuous.
    I don't see how, nor the difference among them. They are all profitable ventures made possible by the work of volunteers who expect no compensation for their work. And I haven't heard a single Guide Information Contributor complain about this.

You're asking for DP members to pay all of your upfront costs, including the hardware and worker's time. It seems improper to use that as a justification for the cost of the app as well...
    Amazingly, you're mixing up two things again. The DP members who pay upfront... get the app at no additional charge. Zilch. But those who want to get the app later, after it is finished, pay $5 to the app store of their choice. And a percentage of this money goes directly back to paying for the Digital Press Web site and other endeavors.

---

All of this typing of responses is taking up valuable time I could be spending on things like improving the Web site or promoting the two Digital Press Kickstarter projects. Therefore I am now only going to respond to those who have or who are thinking of financially contributing to the project. Thus this thread will be split into two: one thread for updates on the project's progress, and another thread for discussion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I just don't understand why this app is becoming your job for 3 months.

EDIT: Just now saw your latest update. "Instead of a regular day job"? Seriously?
    Last edited by portnoyd; 07-19-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    nz17, when the product is Alpha, will you make it available to community members who want to participate in testing?
    Hmm, I could see this happening. As you know there will be a Beta period, but I could also see an early Developer Preview (Alpha Version) being released for those who are interested. I would probably limit it to two consoles so people wouldn't think it was the final version.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Garry Shandling's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gary Shandling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    Fourth, $4600 divided by the 16,743 user accounts here is only $0.27 per person.
    To be fair, 15,295 of those are Sega-16 members that only visit when their forum has been hacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nz17 View Post
    Fourth, $4600 divided by the 16,743 user accounts here is only $0.27 per person. Even if you only wanted to count the 1,296 active accounts, that's still only $3.55 per person.
    I can look up the online rarity guide for free on my iPhone on the internet. So I wouldn't pay $3.55 for something I can look for free and it's only for Android (at first I know) and maybe it will never be made for Apple's app store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I have not always agreed with things that this site has done but feel that this app is a must have, and would love to see it happen. I also know that it is going to take alot of effort and time to see this through, as well as financial support. I cant count the times I wish I had a portable guide with me. As a savvy, thrifty serious collector I am just publicly stating that I want to support this. I am not going to try to change anybody's mind about how they feel about this project, but to just say that this is a good idea. I see alot of good projects that often have differing opinion get shelved or delayed due to heated debate. I myself, who have contributed to the DP advance guide among thousands of others, do not mind paying $5 for this app nor do I mind contributing(end of this month) a little contribution for this project.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... the only way to submit a correction is to go to a PC, log in to DP, post on a forum, and hope that one of the database maintainers fixes it. Instead of using the application that's already in their hand...
    Why do you keep pushing this point? I already told you what you're asking for is NOT going to happen. "nz17" can correct me here, but it sounds like his app is a more advanced interface for accessing the information in the guide. It's not going to be for just anyone to edit it however they please - if that ever happened, it would no longer be the Digital Press guide, for one thing. For another, it wouldn't be worth a nickel. You don't seem to have any problem posting lengthy replies to this thread, so why is posting in the DPG forum such an arduous task for you? If you don't like that, well, nobody is stopping you from making your own price guide, "ace".

Did I slam the door on this one?
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    It's not going to be for just anyone to edit it however they please - if that ever happened, it would no longer be the Digital Press guide, for one thing. For another, it wouldn't be worth a nickel.
    Good lord, Stonic. The very first time Prog mentioned this idea he said (and of course I quote) this:

Instead of using the app as read-only, make it actually useful and interesting. If you're going to give people access to the DP database, allow them to make updates and corrections straight from their phone. People are complaining about the database inaccurate, you're not thinking of ways to help fix it. Granted, someone will have to verify the changes, but that's why you're making $5 a copy. Justify your paycheck somehow.
    He was suggesting that someone would moderate said changes. Twice you've accused him of suggesting a free-for-all Digital Press guide and that wasn't at all what he was saying. The idea of an editable DP guide was something he thought would better justify the $5 price.

Besides, I don't see an editable DP guide being that big of an issue! Before you yell at me hear me out! Why can't each person have a unique copy of the DP guide on their own phone/tablet/whatever, and be able to edit the rarities or prices on their own terms? (the edits they made would only effect their copy of the guide) Giving them the ability to edit isn't that bad if it's just their own guide. It would be the same as someone having a print copy, and scratching out the rarity/price and putting their own. Why I dunno, but it's their copy of the guide to do with what they please.

Err anyways... that's my $0.02.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 07-19-2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    If you don't like that, well, nobody is stopping you from making your own price guide, "ace".
    I sure as fuck don't want to take a bunch of emails asking for support and updates when Android users see the database is out of date. The average person on the Android marketplace is roughly the same as those who post in the youtube comments. It's not remotely worth the trouble to me.

Besides, it'd be a dick move to steal the project out from under someone who already plans on working on it.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Good lord, Stonic. The very first time Prog mentioned this idea he said (and of course I quote) this:
    And twice he stated wanting an app that allowed users to edit the guide, instead of having to post in the DPG forum (go back and read his posts again). Thus, my replies are valid.

Besides, it'd be a dick move to steal the project out from under someone who already plans on working on it.
    Did I suggest stealing anybody's info here? No. What I suggested is that you create your own price guide. Call it Programming Ace's Price Guide. Whatever.

Again, I think we're done on this matter.
    [SIZE="4"]<< INSERT MESETA FOR SIGNATURE >>[/SIZE]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

EDIT: Just now saw your latest update. "Instead of a regular day job"? Seriously?
    Seriously?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Seriously?
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Wow, what a clusterfuck this thread, and the idea that spawned it, is.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, where to start in this thread...

For the people who are overly PRO "this is a great idea", instead of blindly shooting down everything that has been said here with blind devotion to Digital Press, try addressing some of these peoples concerns and if you are one of "those" posters who have replied to pretty much every comment without actually adding anything of significance to the conversation, maybe you need to look at your +1 posting habits.

It seems that quite a few of the regulars are a bit perplexed with a number of things. It appears that while the guide has been the tireless work of many volunteers over the years it now looks like somebody is going to profit out of converting this work into a new form.

There is some work involved in getting this app up and running, I understand that, but maybe the DP community could of been asked or polled to ask if there was a someone or a group of someones willing to give there expertise to getting this off the ground, ala the current volunteer model.

The other big question is why android first, has there been a poll to see how many users here have android phones or iphones? or is it simply what is easier for the "developer"?

Other questions such as, are price guides really needed?, can we have some type of submission part to the app to change and update the database? are all valid questions asked by COMMUNITY MEMBERS, you know, the guys you're asking money from...

Simple questions that are in need of simple answers.

Maybe the lines of DP's commercial ambitions and the communities ambitions and or ideals no longer draw parallels to each other and this is why there is such strong debate regarding the direction of DP from the parties involved.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    For the people who are overly PRO "this is a great idea", instead of blindly shooting down everything that has been said here with blind devotion to Digital Press, try addressing some of these peoples concerns and if you are one of "those" posters who have replied to pretty much every comment without actually adding anything of significance to the conversation, maybe you need to look at your +1 posting habits.
    No U.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

No, really... seriously?!