Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What generation will you stop collecting at?

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default What generation will you stop collecting at?

Personally the N64 is the newest system I plan on collecting for. There are two reasons for this: One is that I only want to collect cart based systems as the games themselves have a very long lifespan. Where as cd's eventually get scratched or deveolp disc rot which is a real turn off for me. On top of that when buying disc games used there is a much higher chance that they are damaged.

Second is that many games made after that just don't appeal to me. I mean some do like zelda titles. But looking specifically at the Wii (I only collect nintendo at the moment) for every good game there is a good 20 that suck. I work at a Toys R Us and there is about 3 games we have now that I would try on a shelf of about 100 it is really sad.

Third (yea I know I said I had two reasons) is that the librarys for systems put out after the N64 are huge. I just looked up the list of Ps2 games on wikipedia and its over 2000 games long. Granted some are region exclusive but still that is alot.

So which generation of game consoles do you plan to stop at and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    maxwatts

As i am a VERY VERY VERY specific "collector" (in that i only get games i want to play) i will probably go on indefinitely. For instance i have the Gamecube games that i want to the exclusion of everything else in that library.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

To build entire libraries for, I will stop at the Dreamcast, but for video game series or simply enjoyable games, I see no end.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by maxwatts View Post
    As i am a VERY VERY VERY specific "collector" (in that i only get games i want to play) i will probably go on indefinitely. For instance i have the Gamecube games that i want to the exclusion of everything else in that library.
    Same, I just buy the games I want to play and keep them really. I don't try to collect every game for every system, takes up too much room and I don't want all that junk.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Way to hate on the GBA, DS and 3DS. The PS Vita is also going to be on memory card type things as well. Those are all 'cart' systems that went well past the N64 release frame.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, obviously if a system has no physical games I won't be collecting for it. It really comes down to how you define "collecting". For the most part, I'm not interested in pursuing full system sets. I am interested in more targeted sets within a system's library, though. I do have less interest in the systems past the 32/64-bit generation, but in time, I wouldn't be surprised if I get more interested. Hype is a turn off for me, so I tend to appreciate games more when they're older. I still on occasion buy and play current games, though, and I don't see that ever changing unless things become digital-only.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking at today's games, I'm thinking I should've stopped after last-gen. I regret getting a Wii and DS, and I regret not just getting into PC gaming sooner. I would be happy playing just games from NES through GameCube times. There aren't enough games made today that honor the genres that made gaming as popular as it is. I realized that after playing Demon's Crest this week.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ballermann2D's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreamcast!

then again - it's the only system i'm collecting for, even though i'm not aiming for a complete one.
    was Dreamcast a PlayStation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't build entire libraries, so there's no need to stop collecting. I only "collect" the stuff I like and want to play...so probably never unless I stop playing.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Way to hate on the GBA, DS and 3DS. The PS Vita is also going to be on memory card type things as well. Those are all 'cart' systems that went well past the N64 release frame.
    I'm not really into handhelds I was thinking about home consoles when I wrote it so maybe I should have specified.

When I put ... last generation you collect for I guess I was thinking more about the people who go for complete sets because in my mind that is what makes it collecting to me. To have a goal to reach and a finish point. Getting games that I like to play isn't the same as collecting to me. I have games for both gamecube, PS2, and Wii but I wouldn't say I collect them because I just pick games up I find interesting.

It's just my opinion on what makes it "collecting" and I can't find a way to explain it better at the moment, and I know I'll get crap for it. But it is just my opinion.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For people that collect whole sets, I imagine the PS2 generation must be intimidating due to the large number of titles. Most of them are cheap, but storage becomes an issue. Disc rot, as you mentioned, also casts doubt on the future of collecting discs.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

English is my first language and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the phrase "stop collecting."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me theres really no end in sight. I mainly collect only what I want to play but I also make a few exceptions for rare games that I can resell down the road. My collection starts at the Nes generation and runs right into the current gen. The only way I'd stop collecting new games is if future console gens went to all digital. At that point I could focus specifically on my past gen collecting and playing my huge backlog of games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've stopped collecting with the current generation. The only machines I have are an Xbox 360 and a DS. The 360 is dead thanks to my nephew, and I've never bothered getting it fixed. There's no point in collecting for it. I can have a huge part of the 360's library in 20 years, but there's virtually no way I'll have a working console to play them on with the poor quality of construction. I've never liked Nintendo, so I don't care about the DS (I only bought it because I found it cheap in a thrift store).

I'm so far behind on this generation that it would be too difficult to play catch-up. There's not enough quality games that I'd like on the Wii to bother with that one, the PS3 has never grabbed my attention, and the 360 is too unreliable to bother with. I still haven't come across a cheap PSP in the wild to pick one up. So I'm going to have to pass on the newest systems and games. I probably won't bother with the next generation either. Those new systems will all be HD, and I've given up on watching television anymore, so I've never upgraded from a tube TV to hi-def. I've fallen too far behind the curve. But I don't really care, I've got plenty of classic machines to play and collect for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

13th generation. I don't plan on living much beyond 60. :-)

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES is as far as I go.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already stopped at the Genny. I sold off my n64 and Saturn collections, and while I still have a pile of ps1 games I don't really see buying (m)any more in the future. I also have a good GC, PS2 and Xbox1 collection but I'm not adding anything and it wouldn't kill me to sell some of that off. I have no interest in collecting for modern systems. I already started selling 360/Wii games after I was done with them because I know I'll never play them again.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Like others have mentioned, I'll collect what I like regardless of gen, so no stopping until there are no new games I enjoy.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

As far as fullsets go I'm pretty sure I draw the line at the 7800, but I continue to pick up anything that strikes my fancy for pretty much everything its contemporary or newer. I simply don't have the space or money to go willy-nilly on every game I find.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no interest in the collecting tons of terrible games that are required for a full set. More power to those that do. For me, though, it is more a question of how far back in time I want to collect. I am of the generation that grew up with the SNES, Genesis and N64, and I am very interested in collecting for those systems. I am also interested in acquiring an NES at some point. But I cannot see myself collecting for any of the systems pre-NES, like the Atari 2600 or Colecovision. Maybe at some point I will change my mind, but I cannot see myself ever playing those games.