Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What generation will you stop collecting at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This gen is the last straw for me. I didn't even want to get suckered into this gen to begin with, but a lot of developers that I highly respect were putting out excellent games, and I ended up caving. Even then, my collection of current gen games is relatively small.

There are already enough games in the world to keep me busy for an entire lifetime, and I'm not into the direction the industry has taken at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I will only be interested in going back to pick up games for systems up to the Dreamcast, with a very few that I might still pick up on Xbox, Gamecube or PS2. The present generation has been a huge disappointment for me overall, with an average of one game a year that has interested me at all. If I get a Wii I could probably buy six games for it and be done, and all of them would be "lightgun" games.

I think my primary collecting will be focused on TurboGrafx/PCE/CD, Sega CD and Saturn for the indefinite future. If the Jag market drops to reasonable prices I'll be picking up quite a bit there too.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Not really interested in collecting just interested in playing games for fun regardless of the generation. I keep around what I enjoy and sell off that which I don't so I guess I'll never stop collecting in a way.

That being said I seem to have picked a great time to get nostalgic about the Genesis and SNES with all of the titles being developed from the ground up or getting official translations/releases. I'm buying up most of the promising newly developed titles for the genesis at the moment so I guess thats a (lose) form of collecting.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Gamecube will probably be the last system i ever try and get a complete set for.

On a side note, does disc rot effect modern discs like Xbox 360 and ps3? Or is it mainly older discs like turbografx, ps1, saturn, sega cd etc.?
    Thanks

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I don't build entire libraries, so there's no need to stop collecting. I only "collect" the stuff I like and want to play...so probably never unless I stop playing.
    This is me as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

I'd say I don't go past the childhood era of gaming for me anyway. So no PS2, Xbox or Gamecube I think this was the era I least enjoyed. Frankly I'm not even sure whether these games will ever have value because for one they all have the cases and are far more common to find. I could be proven wrong though I sincerely do hope that people focus on the newer systems so classic Nintendo games can plunge and I can finally get some at low prices. I don't actually want to own all games on a system as if I buy a bad game and hate it I will not hesitate to sell it or trade it for another retro title. So I don't want a complete collection either just stuff I want to play and quality games keeps me from needing more shelves. Also focus on collecting carts because they will actually last I have no desire to own disc based games unless it's Crash or Spryo the Dragon there are exceptions. I simply just love the classic Nintendo games and my big collections will always be NES-N64.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have thought about this before and my initial thought was to collect everything through the Sega Dreamcast; I am unsure about how far I want to collecto for the Gameboy/GBC/GBA. It seems I have had a great deal of luck collecting for the original Xbox and the Gamecube so I will likely pursue them at some point; this thought begs for me to collect the PS2 as well to finish the generation.

I am well along in my pursuits with several complete (or near complete depending on your criteria). The sticking point is some of the high priced games - I hope to start buying them one at a time every few months.

There are a handful of games I expect never to have (Magical Chase TG-16, Daytona Netlink Edition for the Saturn, Bounty Bob for the 5200), but I will settle for close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    But I cannot see myself collecting for any of the systems pre-NES, like the Atari 2600 or Colecovision. Maybe at some point I will change my mind, but I cannot see myself ever playing those games.
    Exactly how I feel. And I actually grew up with the Atari 2600 and 7800 being the first systems my family owned back in the day. But today those systems and games are completely unplayable to me. I don't collect for them and would never want to play them again.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

In terms of collecting I would say this gen is my last. I am really enjoying collecting the 360 and I don't have the space or money to collect another system, although the DS has been getting some love recently so I'm getting close to collecting two.

There are tons of other games for other systems that I want to buy and will buy no matter what but I don't collect for the system. Probably about 60% of my 360 games I'll never play more than once because I only bought them to collect but like I said I can't do this for most systems because the games would take over my house and I have a very understanding wife.... but not THAT understanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

I only collect cart based games and they are the games that I like. I do not want any game in my collection that is something I wouldn't want to play. Though there have been times I have considered collecting all N64 titles. Mainly because that I felt that it is attainable due to the smaller library.

The N64 would be the last Generation that I would consider collecting for when it comes to a home console. Nothing interest me beyond that. I am open to any generation of gaming, but at the moment, I am waiting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

My "serious collecting" of games ends with PSP, although I think that I will eventually get 3DS and the vita. The Sega Dreamcast will be the latest set I probably will complete(1 game away). I dont think I will have the time or engergy to pursue stuff newer.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a cart type of guy so it's N64 for me
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This generation. I'm less and less interested in modern games..

I don't even own a PS3 or Xbox 360 yet.. If I want to play something I'll go to a friend's house to do so. The last time I could say that was when the Master System was current.

Perhaps I'll get one-or-the-other at some point, but probably nothing beyond this gen.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I stopped collecting around age 16 and switched to only getting games I actually want to play. Which is, outside of the odd sale game here and there, only a few a year at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already stopped at the PlayStation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually in the process of getting back into the hobby. I'm one of those guys who "sold it all" while everyone was telling me "you'll regret it." Yeah, I'm that guy.

Like others have said, I will only buy what I will play. Though I may buy an extra cheap copy in the wild just to have a back up - I will likely own less than 20 games across several platforms.

Here are the last few consoles and my thoughts on them (I will own older consoles, these are just thoughts):

nintendo 64: <10 games

dreamcast: not interested in anything

playstation 2: not interested in anything

xbox: <3 games, rallisport challenge 2 immediately comes to mind (best rally racing game ever created)

gamecube: nothing I want to play but will buy adapter to play GB/GBC/GBA cames on the tv.

xbox 360: what turned me off of modern gaming. launched out of the gate with knowingly defective manufacturing in an effort to quickly gain market share. this plus all the games i am interested are internet only with laggy broken network code. this all left a bad taste in my mouth.

playstation 3 - the only game im interested in is thexder neo. $400+ for one game? pass.

wii - we have one but only use it for netflix

so to answer the ops question: xbox
    Last edited by courtesi1; 07-16-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    There are already enough games in the world to keep me busy for an entire lifetime, and I'm not into the direction the industry has taken at all.
    My thoughts exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im a gamer and find myself "collecting" for platforms I play games on, so yes that does include this generation, but to be honest with publishers implementing stupid things to wipe out the second hand market this will be my last generation that I care about, I hope anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've pretty much stopped at the N64/PS1 era. I really stopped buying new consoles with this generation and even for these, I have very little, like 10 - 12 games per system as there aren't a lot of must have titles for me.

Even the PS1 is kind of a fringe part of my collection. As others have said, I prefer collecting cart based systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    There are already enough games in the world to keep me busy for an entire lifetime

(hotlinked image, so if it is goatse on your end, I apologize)
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!