Thread: Borderlands question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Borderlands question

I bought the GOTY edition of this for $20, so it's not a big deal, but does the game get better after the first hour? I played it a bit with my brother last night, and we both agreed that the first bit was quite boring. Does the game get any better? I've read about people devoting 50+ hours to Borderlands, but I can't see myself doing that if it's like this for the rest of the time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Have you played Diablo? Did you like Diablo?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Port's pretty much nailed it. It's a lootwhore game.

Personally, I had a great time with what I played, even though all I got to was level 15.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

A lootwhore game with -not enough space to store everything-.

I sold thousands of items before I was through with the -main game-. You only get the chance to store stuff once you reach Mad Moxxi's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Yeah, it's all about the drops. I'm one of those 50+ hour guys (hell, going to be starting Knoxx this weekend with 3 others) and I love it. There is nothing better than having an assault rifle with a 300 bullet clip that shoots at 15.0+ with metal storm procced with stat and quick recharge chugging away.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Like Port says, it's a Diablo game wrapped in a multiplayer FPS.

When your stats are low the game is a bit slow, grindy and fetchy (actually it's always fetchy), but once you can carry elemental weapons and your health meter is big enough to take a beating, it's pretty fun, though it's relatively light on any cinematic story elements.

There's an over-arcing thing in the main game about The Vault, but the meat of the game is about how much you like collecting rare weapon/item drops and trading them out/selling them based on your limited storage space.

Jump online and play some missions with more experienced folk and you'll level up pretty quickly.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you didn't like the first hour of it I don't know if you will enjoy the rest of the game. The game is really huge, the environments change a lot, and each expansion was well done. Some of the areas are very challenging but this game is all about exploring and loot. The quests are not that exciting but some of the boss fights border on epic.

For me this is one of the best games to come out in years. I play it on PC though, not sure how I would like the console controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Yeah, it's all about the drops. I'm one of those 50+ hour guys (hell, going to be starting Knoxx this weekend with 3 others) and I love it. There is nothing better than having an assault rifle with a 300 bullet clip that shoots at 15.0+ with metal storm procced with stat and quick recharge chugging away.
    I played through the first wave of each of Moxxi's arenas alone. I barely made it. I read up that you have to spend two to three hours to get the "Best" achievements PER ARENA, and that's just too much for me to handle in one sitting.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    I bought the GOTY edition of this for $20, so it's not a big deal, but does the game get better after the first hour? I played it a bit with my brother last night, and we both agreed that the first bit was quite boring. Does the game get any better? I've read about people devoting 50+ hours to Borderlands, but I can't see myself doing that if it's like this for the rest of the time.
    Borderlands is a pretty honest and straightforward game .... and i think that in the first hour the missions that you got access to are pretty easy.

You should give it at least one more hour. It is a very fun game to play solo or with a friend in split screen. The goal and the missions are very simple but fun, this is a Shooter more than an RPG.

I spent like 60 hours in it .... and still have to buy the last 2 DLC
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I played through the first wave of each of Moxxi's arenas alone. I barely made it. I read up that you have to spend two to three hours to get the "Best" achievements PER ARENA, and that's just too much for me to handle in one sitting.
    Yeah, we did the 5 rounders but left the 15 rounders alone. Just too long to do for 4 adults. The Underdome itself must be a nightmare alone... I can't count how many times I've revived and been revived out there. Surviving on second winds alone must be horrid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Yeah, we did the 5 rounders but left the 15 rounders alone. Just too long to do for 4 adults. The Underdome itself must be a nightmare alone... I can't count how many times I've revived and been revived out there. Surviving on second winds alone must be horrid.
    I played as the guy with the turret. I used an accessory that gave me 5 ammo per second, plus that perk that increased your magazine capcaity, and I had a medium power machine gun which had a 250 bullet cartridge with that perk. My technique was "Run like hell, use turrets to distract then grenade their asses, snipe the shit outta everyone." And then Moxxi made it so Sniper rifles gave 0 damage. Friggin' CPU...

The main reason why I did it alone was the fact that the PC version uses... GameSpy. I can't figure out how to get an account there. I wish it used something else, like Steam (since I'm playing the Steam version.)

The game is VERY fun, but I'm a solo player so it was one hell of a challenge.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 07-15-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Fatalstar64's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Fatalstar64

It get's better once you get into a story actually, it's the only thing holding this game back the long periods without progression. I'm at 31 hours right now finished the game and am going through the DLC now starting with the Claptrap one. Sadly none of my friends are giving it a chance saying it's just another shooter but I'm glad I did and am level 40. So FPS bores me but you gain levels you say and find better weapons? Pretty simple solution to motivation in a shooter.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a great game - I think an hour is too quick to make a judgement on anything, even with a second opionion. I think it is a game that defines this generation. I think you got an incredibly good deal...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalstar64 View Post
    It get's better once you get into a story actually, it's the only thing holding this game back the long periods without progression. I'm at 31 hours right now finished the game and am going through the DLC now starting with the Claptrap one. Sadly none of my friends are giving it a chance saying it's just another shooter but I'm glad I did and am level 40. So FPS bores me but you gain levels you say and find better weapons? Pretty simple solution to motivation in a shooter.
    This. It's an odd game. Stats on my FPS? Weird, but it works.

I just wish it wasn't so grindy sometimes, especially when it comes to leveling up your weapon proficiency.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not really big into FPS or western RPGs so keep that in mind.

I got this for $7.50 on the last day of the Steam sale, on the recommendation of one of my EVE Online friends. I don't buy "current" games very often, especially on the PC, but I gave it a chance. It did feel slow at first, early on you have few abilities and you're pretty weak. That's a good thing in my opinion, and it gives you a base level to compare yourself to later on. Once you hit level 5, and start getting skill points to work with, the pace builds up.

I don't think it's a perfect game by any means, but I am enjoying it and expect to try to finish almost all of it. For me, it feels like a strange child of Fallout 3 and Bioshock, although to be honest, those are the only other similar games I've played. But unlike Fallout 3, which I wasn't a fan of at all really, you don't have to explore every little nook and cranny. The missions will take you anywhere that's worth going to eventually as long as you do them all.

Now, there are a few small things that do annoy me. Yes, there's a lot of loot, but it's almost all completely useless other than to sell. I just hit level 30, and I've been using the same sniper rifle since level 16, which I picked up in the first area of the game. It's not even a rare drop either, I just haven't found anything even remotely similar stats in a long time. Even in the mission I just finished that gave me a "kick ass" sniper rifle as a reward. The same with my other weapons, although not to the same extreme. Yet every 30 minutes or so of playtime I find a newer, better shield I can use. Strange.

So yeah, as somebody who doesn't really play these kinds of games, I'd say give it another chance. You might actually find you like it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Borderlands has a 60 minute trial on PSN. In my opinion it really hurts the game more than it helps it. About the entire first hour is the tutorial quests and getting used to the games menus etc. While I haven't got too far, I've made it to where you get the vehicle and I've got past the part where you have to collect the electric crystals(atleast level 11.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I'll give it another try. I was never really into Diablo, so maybe that's why, but I can see how it would get more fun as you get deeper. I think we only just got out of the tutorial missions, so maybe the next part will be better.