Thread: Anybody have a problem with craigslist addiction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anybody have a problem with craigslist addiction?

I collect games but mostly I buy/sell/trade them. I just in the past few weeks started looking on craigslist. I don't have alot of extra money buy I find what I think are good deals and I go with it. If I can buy some games and play them then sell them and make money I'm game. It's the hobby.

Then, after spending my alotted amount of money on games for the month I see this.

Sega Dreamcast with Games and Accessories $50

Now, I shouldn't have looked because I didn't really want to spend anymore money on games but this is what craigslist does to me. When I scroll down I see the list of games

GAMES:
    Sonic Adventure
    Power Stone 1
    Power Stone 2
    Soul Calibur
    Air Force Delta
    Virtua Tennis
    IKARUGA - Very rare, addictive vertical shooter from Japan.
    Bangai-O
    Mars Matrix
    Star Lancer
    Iron Aces

Of course I'm going to try to buy it. OF COURSE. It even comes with a Sega Dreamcast bag to put it all in. Storage cases are just cool.

Does anybody else have this problem? I never had this with eBay. Even back 10 years ago when normal people like me could find awesome deals.

I think I'm just going to stop drinking anything but water and start riding my bike to work so I can add that extra $50 a month to my game budget.

I just wanted some other gamers and collectors to speak to about this. My wife just doesn't know (though she is very understanding )

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I used to find stuff regularly on craigslist but I haven't in awhile, the odd time something really good show up it sells quick so I usually miss out on it. Still if something good gets listed I'll try to buy it.

About 10 days ago someone listed a Sega CDX with hookups and controller, mouse, Capcom fighting stick, and over 60 games for $180 total. Nothing super rare like Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron, Shining Force CD, or any of the really desirable titles but several were worth $30-$50 each(like Fatal Fury Special) and everything was in excellent shape. I replied about an hour after it was posted but I got an email back a couple hours later saying it sold. I was bummed out for days for missing it, a lot of it I would have wanted to keep. It really looked that good.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just try not to look if I really really have no money, but usually I think I can scare up funds if I absolutely need to. Of course, I tend to not keep much if anything that I find on CL b/c my collection is getting to the point where I can't find the stuff I still need "in the wild." But yeah some months I have to get money from my wife for rent (until payday) b/c I spent too much buying stuff to resell that didn't sell quickly enough. I just can't pass up a good deal.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Insert Coin (Level 0) CapnCrunch53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap, I thought that Dreamcast list looked familiar. I was looking at that ad less than an hour ago! Don't worry, I'm not gonna steal it from ya, I've spent WAY too much on Genesis stuff lately. Just kind of a bizarre coincidence. Neat to see a fellow collector so near me
    My Systems
    Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA-SP, GBP, DS Lite, 3DS
    Sony: PS1, PS2
    Microsoft: Softmodded Xbox, Xbox 360
    Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Dreamcast, GameGear
    Other: Atari Super Pong, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Odyssey 2, Turbografx-16, NeoGeo Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that's what I need. I need this person to not answer back because so far every good deal I have seen I have gotten and relatively quickly

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    I can scare up funds if I absolutely need to.
    Ha! This is my problem. There is ALWAYS that little extra. Jar of change, $2 bills... savings account? Damn straight I'll use it. As long as it's not being charged it is expendable.

Capn! Another Indiana DPer! I drive by Arcola every week on the way to the zoo. Wanna come play some Contra?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With that Dreamcast lot just be sure it's not backups if the CL ad doesn't have a picture up.

Insert Coin (Level 0) CapnCrunch53's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ugly_monster View Post
    Capn! Another Indiana DPer! I drive by Arcola every week on the way to the zoo. Wanna come play some Contra?
    We totally should sometime. I've got a couple buddies that are totally into old-school gaming, sometimes we get together for 16-bit fighter tournaments or attempted runs through SMB: The Lost Levels. You should join us
    My Systems
    Nintendo: NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA-SP, GBP, DS Lite, 3DS
    Sony: PS1, PS2
    Microsoft: Softmodded Xbox, Xbox 360
    Sega: Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, 32x, Dreamcast, GameGear
    Other: Atari Super Pong, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Odyssey 2, Turbografx-16, NeoGeo Pocket Color

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ugly_monster View Post
    Ha! This is my problem. There is ALWAYS that little extra. Jar of change, $2 bills... savings account? Damn straight I'll use it. As long as it's not being charged it is expendable.

Like I said, I usually end up selling the stuff I buy, so that helps justify it in my mind. Tho of course if there's a game or two in the bundle for me, that makes it all the better.

As for two guys on here seeing the same CL ad, not only does that happen to me a ton, but sometimes I see guys from my area posting their CL ad in the sale forum. (And yeah I do the same thing, ) Pretty weird when I'm halfway thru reading a topic to realize I just saw it on CL.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com