Thread: Disk Cleaning help

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Disk Cleaning help

Sup guys, sorry if this question has bin answered before but Chrome is giving me a weird error when I try to search for something. So I bought a pre-owned copy of Kingdom Hearts 2 but I can't get it to work. I've cleaned it a few times but when I put it in my PS2 it says please insert the format disk. There's no deep scratches, just one small mark that looks as if it was spilled on the disk. I can't get it off by rubbing it, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to use?

Cheers,
    Josh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like disc rot, a problem that occurs when the disc is made cheaply or with the wrong materials, or exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. On a regular disc it will show up as a dark spot on the bottom side of the disc or spots where you can see light coming through the disc label. I hear that on PS2 discs with the dark coloring it shows up as lighter spot than the normal color of the disc.

This is an oxidation of the data layer of the disc, and any data on that part of the disc is lost forever if that's the case with yours.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Boltorano View Post
    This sounds like disc rot, a problem that occurs when the disc is made cheaply or with the wrong materials, or exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time. On a regular disc it will show up as a dark spot on the bottom side of the disc or spots where you can see light coming through the disc label. I hear that on PS2 discs with the dark coloring it shows up as lighter spot than the normal color of the disc.

This is an oxidation of the data layer of the disc, and any data on that part of the disc is lost forever if that's the case with yours.
    Thanks for the info, dude. It's a normal disk and the mark is white. It's pretty small but it's the only mark on the disk. Well, there are some scratches on the circle around the middle of the disk where it says PlayStation 2, are scratches there worse than scratches on the outside of the circle?

If I can't get it to work I'm just gonna take it back to the shop and pick another game. I don't think I've ever had to take a game back before, so I'm hoping they don't give me any 'oh, you've pulled the stickers off..' bullshit.