Thread: NesterDC VMU Loading Issues

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NesterDC VMU Loading Issues

Hi everybody,

I have Nester DC 6.0 and usually it plays great. However, lately I have noticed that I'm not able to load certain save states no matter how many times I try.

Incident 1: I was playing a season of Baseball Stars. Around game 23, I was no longer able to load the season from my VMU and the SRAM always failed. I could upload the quick saves and the save states from my other memory card (slot 4 on a 4 in 1), but for some reason slot 3 loading failed. If the SRAM from slot 3 loaded, it would be from game 16 (Didn't let the SRAM save for game 23).

Incident 2: I was playing the Adventures of Musashi and saved it at level 14. Of course the SRAM failed to save, but I had a quick save (at 14), so I tried to load it and save it and of course the memory card refused. Now when I play it refuses to load the SRAM, but WILL load the quick save at level 8 from a different slot. This is from slot 1 of the 4 in 1. Ironically, the level 8 load is from slot 3, which would not load Baseball Stars.

This is a 3rd party VMU that NEVER has any trouble except when loading a Japanese game (which I figured out was because my Dreamcast reset and the dates didn't match up). I'm wondering if this is a 3rd party VMU issue (although I have never had this issue w/other games) or is it just a Nester issue in general. Last year the card worked fine for Zelda 2 w/the exception of 1 incident where I had to save on multiple slots as a precaution. Since then it has never had this issue, but I haven't really played much since coming to University.

Also, the memory card becomes undetected during play from time to time and when I look up the Nester save dates the year reads "2036".

Thoughts?

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by peter_gunz View Post
    This is a 3rd party VMU
    That's your problem. It's not a VMU, it's a memory card. Some games won't recognize anything that doesn't have the VMU internals - they freeze or take ages to load. One of them was Power Stone 2, since it autosaves when you start playing, it just freezes because it doesn't know what to do with a memory card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Repeat post

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    That's your problem. It's not a VMU, it's a memory card. Some games won't recognize anything that doesn't have the VMU internals - they freeze or take ages to load. One of them was Power Stone 2, since it autosaves when you start playing, it just freezes because it doesn't know what to do with a memory card.
    How is this the problem? I mean, I realize being a 3rd party made item could be the problem, but how could being a memory card itself be the problem? Not sure if I made it clear, but the games saved EVERY OTHER TIME up to this point. Then they stop. Also, I have Power Stone on here and it saves no problem. Same w/every other Dreamcast game.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the very least, the emu author might not have taken all 3rd party memory solutions into account when building the emu. You are using two pieces that are essentially after-market and not official or tested for compatibility. Sometimes certain pairings like that just don't work right. Try an actual VMU, and if you get the same issues, then it's isolated to the emu build itself handling access of the memory device through those games.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    At the very least, the emu author might not have taken all 3rd party memory solutions into account when building the emu. You are using two pieces that are essentially after-market and not official or tested for compatibility. Sometimes certain pairings like that just don't work right. Try an actual VMU, and if you get the same issues, then it's isolated to the emu build itself handling access of the memory device through those games.
    Alright, I'll try it. Wondering if anyone else has had the issue though before buying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Yeah, I had to buy a mad-catz memory card for the DC, because I couldn't find a VMU anywhere. I would play NFL2K, and everything would seem fine, then the next time I'd go to play my save file would be lost.

I had simular issues with the vibration pack. I believe it was NFL 2K1 that wouldn't load when I had a vibration pack plugged in, once the game loaded I could insert the vibration pack (Thunder pack) in and play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I had to buy a mad-catz memory card for the DC, because I couldn't find a VMU anywhere. I would play NFL2K, and everything would seem fine, then the next time I'd go to play my save file would be lost.

I had simular issues with the vibration pack. I believe it was NFL 2K1 that wouldn't load when I had a vibration pack plugged in, once the game loaded I could insert the vibration pack (Thunder pack) in and play.
    Interesting to note. My files are on the memory card, but wont load.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try unlocking the extra space on the VMU and reformatting.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the developer of the emulator had his VMUs set up that way.