Thread: SuperGrafx vs. PC-Engine/CoreGrafx: Any reason to get the latter?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SuperGrafx vs. PC-Engine/CoreGrafx: Any reason to get the latter?

If the SuperGrafx can play all hucard games, you have no interest in the CD-ROM games, and one buys all import hucards is their any reason to stick with the latter?

I think the Supergrafx is interesting looking, interesting history, compatible with all hucards, has composite/stereo built-in, and you wont need to pull it out to play the sgx games - its already out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Not particularly. Just that Supergrafx is only a real benefit to hardcore fans. Very few sgx games were made.

Most users who could afford one, will find the PC Engine Duo line much better value for its price.
    Lum fan.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Picking a Supergrafx (at least if I read pcenginfx right) doesn't keep you from having a CDROM addon.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have no interest in CD games and like the look of it, then it sounds like you want one.

I've always thought it was a pretty useless system to own since there's only the 5 exclusive games and 2 other Hus that play with upgraded graphics, some of them are not cheap. I've played Ghouls n' Ghosts on one before and it was awesome fun, but that's not a title that isn't readily ported these days and a couple of the other exclusives are titles that are regarded as being terrible games these days.

Since a PCEngine system can be had for as little as 8 dollars bare from the right place (these things are borderline junk in Tokyo, I've seen it), I don't see the price difference as worth it.

If you have the cash, do what makes you happy.
    Last edited by Milk Thistle; 07-17-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no interest in the CD-ROM. I've read and reread the list of CD-ROM titles and none of them interest me very much. The only exception may be Bonk 3 but I predict it's the same as the hucard with only slightly better music. Also Neo-Nectaris. Is it worth getting for 1 game plus 1 game with different music. I don't know.

I wouldn't mind an American TG16 with Turbo Booster but the Booster is extremely rare and can't be found anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by courtesi1 View Post
    I have no interest in the CD-ROM. I've read and reread the list of CD-ROM titles and none of them interest me very much.
    Wow that's a pretty bold statement. Here's just a few w/ screenshots:

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/ind...pic=32859&st=0

I would of added more to that list in the above thread, but I think they were just detailing some notables that were in some torrent that was flying around the net.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a SuperGrafx, but whatever floats your boat. As for the CDs, are you only considering the US library or something? The CD library is so large that I really can't imagine any fan of 16-bit games not finding at least a few to love. I mean, there are around 100 more CD games than HuCards, with about 400 in total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no interest in the CD-ROM. I've read and reread the list of CD-ROM titles and none of them interest me very much.
    The CD has lots of great, exclusive games to get, so you might rethink that down the road. Anyway, the Super CD-ROM^2 attachment connects directly to the SGX, and is a more robust CD attachment than the old briefcase CD-ROM unit by virtue of its age. So you're in no way limiting yourself if you choose the SGX route.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CDROMs are definitely where it's at for the Duo. Not only are they region free, but they're dirt cheap compared to some of the crazy Hu prices.

The most expensive CD game I can think of is Sapphire, and that's nothing compared to the expensive American Hucards.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the thing: I am different. Not "unique" but I'm not the same person I was when I was younger. Honestly after reading the above list of games and cross comparing on youtube and the pc-engine review site there are only two CD games that stuck out:

Gradius II - Gofer no Yabou - this looks great but is likely something can can be picked up on the Gradius pack for the PSX/Saturn.

Neo Nectaris - I'm really on the fence on this one. It is all Japanese so it will require a guide. It also contains more units than the PSX port. Really, really on the fence.

Yes, there is no doubt there are a ton of games on the CD format but none of them that are calling to me. After I'm done buying for the TG/PCE/SGFX I might have a dozen titles max - likely less.

I may even stick with a CoreGrafx. I'm not completely in love with GnG - I think its graphics and difficulty seduced me more than anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is the thing: I am different. Not "unique" but I'm not the same person I was when I was younger. Honestly after reading the above list of games and cross comparing on youtube and the pc-engine review site there are only two CD games that stuck out:

Gradius II - Gofer no Yabou - this looks great but is likely something can can be picked up on the Gradius pack for the PSX/Saturn.

Neo Nectaris - I'm really on the fence on this one. It is all Japanese so it will require a guide. It also contains more units than the PSX port. Really, really on the fence.

Yes, there is no doubt there are a ton of games on the CD format but none of them that are calling to me. After I'm done buying for the TG/PCE/SGFX I might have a dozen titles max - likely less.

I may even stick with a CoreGrafx. I'm not completely in love with GnG - I think its graphics and difficulty seduced me more than anything.
    Don't get me wrong man, I totally get where you're coming from.

My last trip to Japan I was super tempted to buy a cheap white PCEngine (15-20 bucks at most stores!) and a clip of dirt cheap Hucards and just be content.

But the truth is most of the most popular Hucards are available on the PSN/Wii stores, so I just opted to buy the download versions and be happy.

I would say go for the system if there's at least 10-20 games you wanna buy off the bat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Thistle View Post
    Since a PCEngine system can be had for as little as 8 dollars bare from the right place (these things are borderline junk in Tokyo, I've seen it)...
    After spending four years in the Tokyo area and being into retro gaming the entire time, all I can say is good f'n luck finding a PC Engine for US$8 on a regular basis. You might find one on a "junk bin" (untested used bin) occasionally for around that price, or in a place like Hard-Off for that price, but that is NOT something that you see everyday. A PC Engine at that price will be untested and often yellowed. As you said, that is usually a bare system with no hook-ups or controllers.

Still, finding a PC Engine (white or Core Grafx) with a controller and hook-ups for $30-40 is not too hard to find if you look. Around $20-30 for a bare one is the most common price. Cheaper if yellowed. They are not overly expensive.

As for the OP's question, if you just want a PC Engine system to play all the games, then get a Super Grafx. It does it all. The only reason not to get one is price and aesthetics. You can also hook up a Super CD-ROM2 add-on to it. Through in an Arcade Card, and you've got a complete set-up that plays everything. No need for any other PCE system.

FYI, once you get to know the library, there are a TON of great CD releases. How can you not like Winds of Thunder (Lords of Thunder), Gate of Thunder, Sapphire, Ys Books I&II, Dracula X: Chi no Rondo, Ai Cho Aniki (it IS a good game), Macross 2036, Download II, Shubibinman 3, Metamor Jupiter, Valis, Nexzr, Spriggan, and more.

How could you say that those games do not interest you? Insane!