Thread: Sega Star Wars Trilogy (Model 3) Audio Output via Toslink no sound?

Insert Coin (Level 0) LimeiBook86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Star Wars Trilogy (Model 3) Audio Output via Toslink no sound?

Hello everyone,

So I have a Star Wars Trilogy Sega Arcade machine (model 3). It works pretty well, I'm using a VGA converter to get video output, and another converter to go to the DVD recorder to make it simple to record the game. However I'm stuck with recording audio. The game board has a Toslink (optical audio) output. The red laser is coming out, so I know the connection is active. But when I plug it into my stereo, nothing comes out. I tried the stereo (and the same toslink cable) on my satellite box and the stereo works fine. So I'm wondering what's up?

I guess the Toslink connection could be disabled or not in use, but there is a red light coming out of it. There are two Toslink ports on the board, only one looked 'active' however.

I'm unsure if there are any settings in the Service menu, I looked. Maybe setting the cabinet to 'Deluxe' instead of upright will help? Also it's possible the audio signal it's spitting out is something odd the stereo does not understand.

If this fails I guess the only way to get audio is to split the connection to the speakers, which I want to avoid doing.

Thanks!
    -Steven
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 07-17-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the Toslink is a digital connection. So you need to make sure your receiver can decode whatever that thing is pumping out. The red light means something's coming out. Knowing the output format would help. It could be some strange digital stereo format that your receiver might not decode (I have concert DVDs with like 3 different Stereo PCM streams on the disc). Could even be THX format. My receiver decodes THX, but I've never even owned a disc that used it (I think Lucasfilm DVD stuff does).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that's what I figured, it's either unsupported by my stereo or some odd proprietary audio signal. I'll try to use the remote of the stereo to see if I can play around with the settings. The stereo I have a Sony DVD player with built-in stereo (DAV-S500). I ordered a mini-optical (toslink) adapter for my MacBook Pro, so maybe the Mac can be a bit more sensitive of what audio is coming out of the cable.
    Last edited by LimeiBook86; 07-18-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Milk Thistle's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to KLOV it's Amplified Stereo with Subwoofer (three channel). So 2.1 sound, I'm guessing digital PCM, just what format. A manual might say.
    Last edited by Milk Thistle; 07-18-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I got the Mini-Toslink to Toslkink optical audio adapter. Sadly it doesn't seem to work. No audio program I launched would show any waveforms or signals coming from the toslink cable. Oh well, at least I tried it. Maybe Toslink isn't enabled correctly, or it's damaged. Either way the $2 wasn't much of a loss and may be handy in the future.