Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NeoJ4K3
    PSN
    Inf3rnoJake

Default Super Castlevania 4!!

Just beat it.. I have never HEARD of the game, found it. Got it, and couldn't stop playing...amazing. Just damn, that game was spectacular, The level where shit spins was awesome little bonus level.

I hated fighting death, he gave me such a beating, thank god for a password before him. Me and stage 3....christ that level whooped my ass for some reason. I would get far then repeatedly freaking die, then have to start from damn beginning. Once i passed that it was much easier and the rest of the game was just great fun, even with repeating levels over and over. I will play this game alot, hell yeah. Found some alright stuff this weekend, so gonna be occupied (Killer instinct gold was part of the find), but wow what a great game, is Dracula X anything comparable?

Jake
    ~Live. Love~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'd never heard of Super Castlevania IV until just recently? Color me genuinely surprised.

Anyway, Castlevania: Dracula X is, basically, a retelling of the PC-Engine game, Akumajō Dracula X: Chi no Rondo. It has the same basic plot, the same (quite well reproduced) soundtrack, and very similar gameplay, but the stages are all new, as are some of the bosses. It's not a port, or even a sequel, but it gets called a port a lot, and it has a bad rep for having one particularly unfair gameplay mechanic... when you get hit, there's no moment of invincibility. You can literally be bounced back and forth between enemies and die.

Outside of that issue, it plays very much like the traditional Castlevania entries (CV, CV III, etc.), in that you pretty much left to right, whipping and jumping as you cross platforms and such. There's little in the way of "Metrovania" gameplay (i.e. "Symphony of the Night" and its ilk), though there are some hidden secondary stages in spots for you to discover.

Overall, it's not a bad entry. The death bouncing is frustrating, but it doesn't ruin the game. And while it may not be quite as good as SVC IV, it is a good game with very good graphics, great music, and a tougher challenge (and not because of the death bouncing).

Insert Coin (Level 0) Granado_jake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NeoJ4K3
    PSN
    Inf3rnoJake

my first castlevania game was...n64, so i didn't really ever play the others. I watched some stuff on 1,2,3 on nes and thought they looked awesome. I love my snes though and found out there was a 4.

I loaded it on my ps3 snes emulator first to see if i was gonna like it, played the first stage and went and bought it. Mind you this was like 2 weeks ago
    ~Live. Love~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the soundtrack of Super Castlevania IV.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Granado_jake View Post
    is Dracula X anything comparable?
    Depends on what Dracula X you're asking about. Dracula X Chronicles or Rondo of Blood are great games. Not as good as SCV4, but close. Dracula X for the SNES is a great game, but one of the worst level based CV titles.

If you're going to purchase Dracula X, I hope you found it cheap, because unless you're a die hard CV fan like me or some others, then $50 for cart only isn't worth it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

One of my favorites on the system, and my favorite CV game. Glad you finally got to play it through.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

Super Castlevania IV is my favorite in the series, quite possibly, and definitely my favorite SNES game.

Dracula X is a good game, but not even close to IV, and it is a bastardized incarnation of the Japanese version. It also costs a fair amount of money to obtain.

Worth a play through, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love SC4, my favorite side scrolling castlevania game. The Dracula X on SNES while decent, not my favorite..Ive played the PC Engine Chi No Rondo Dracula X and your health bar is literally 3-4 hits and makes me want to just stick with SC4..If you dont mind the Metroid-vania action, then Symphony of the night is the best of the best. (hell, id rather play the original Castlevania than the SNES Dracula X, let's put it that way, and the final boss is just way too hard).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You'd never heard of Super Castlevania IV until just recently? Color me genuinely surprised.
    Seriously. This was my first thought as well.

my first castlevania game was...n64, so i didn't really ever play the others.
    Ah, that explains everything.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

SCIV is my fav of the old school Castlevania titles. I think without level codes I can get up to stage 4 or 5 at least (if lucky not getting killed with stage 4's 2 bosses).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

If you can get your hands on Castlevania III for NES (or download it on the Wii shop) don't miss an opportunity to play through that.

Amazing 8-bit entry and my favorite game in the series.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Castlevania IV is a masterpiece.

And no matter how many years go by without touching it, I can still play straight through to the end and remember where everything is.

The level where shit spins was awesome
    Indeed. Imagine how awesome it was back in 1991!
    Last edited by Rob2600; 07-19-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was always my favorite in the series. The music is great. I spent many hours with the sound test on, listening through my headphones.

Dracula X... not so good.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If you like the flashy parts in CV4, you should check out Bloodlines, which has some impressive scaling and rotation that is actually backed by some real gameplay to boot. The spinning background in CV4 is cool, but if you take that away, it's basically a flat surface from left to right with no legitimate gameplay or challenge.

Dracula X for SNES is pretty good, but with a series that has so many excellent games, it just doesn't compare. Richter plays kind of slow and clunky. For a Castlevania fan, it's definitely worth playing, though. Probably my favorite part of the game is the art by Akihiro Yamada (not the lame US cover; the Japanese art): http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...3921_front.jpg Now THAT is some cool gothic style art, not that bishounen stuff that tries to pass for gothic by Ayami Kojima (although I do like her art too; better than the generic anime art they're using these days).

Anyway, I'd say the best Castlevania games are CV1, CV3, CV4, and Rondo of Blood (the original, not the remake with sub-par 3D).

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The spinning background in CV4 is cool, but if you take that away, it's basically a flat surface from left to right with no legitimate gameplay or challenge.
    In that segment's defense, the platforms do drop away as you're walking over them, so there is somewhat of a sense of tension. Something tells me, though, that what people are referring to is the other rotating room, where you have to latch onto the center with your whip as the environment spins around you. Always liked that bit.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Do the platforms drop out from under you if you stand still? It always seemed to me like the platforms dropped off as they reached the edge of the screen. If they drop even when you're not scrolling the screen, you'd have to be going painfully slow through that section. The other spinning room doesn't have much in the way of gameplay either. Grab the hook, hang there like a limp sack, take out a few Medusa heads that are no threat, hang doing absolutely nothing again until the bridge appears, and you're done. I do think those parts look really cool, but I value gameplay over flash. The chandelier segment does a better job of combining the two. Bloodlines flashy segments all have some moderately challenging gameplay. A flashy segment will always be heightened by a little tension.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Granado_jake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NeoJ4K3
    PSN
    Inf3rnoJake

Yeah it looked like they only dropped when you walked on the spinning level, and its not so much the "flashy" bits of the game, it is just something cool that i liked. I loved the whole game

Castlevania Dracula X on SNES is the version i am talking about, I emulated PCE CD version and it seemed really awesome, but I am more curious about SNES, nad yeah a game store has a copy for 80 bucks, just the cart...wtf

Castlevania 64 was alright but it didn't spark my interest in the rest of the series like it should have, SC IV should had been bought years and years ago. AVGN prompted me to try and play a castlevania game (just recently found out about him too!), i will give Castlevania 3 a shot this week

I did do a little research on Bloodlines, how much is that going for? Right now i don't have a genesis on me (few states over) but i could easily get one cheap
    Last edited by Granado_jake; 07-19-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    ~Live. Love~

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Bloodlines is real cheap. You should be able to get a copy for under $10 (maybe more if you want it complete).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

So you like Castlevania IV?

Definitely one of the all time classics. Did you know Konami still makes games every bit it's equal?

18 posts in...Surely I can't be the first to mention Castlevania Adventure ReBirth? Seriously. C'mon people.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 07-19-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    So you like Castlevania IV?

Definitely one of the all time classics. Did you know Konami still makes games every bit it's equal?

18 posts in...Surely I can't be the first to mention Castlevania Adventure ReBirth? Seriously. C'mon people.
    *facepalm*

INDEED!

ReBirth is an awesome homage to the Gameboy era of Castlevania!!!

(Sometimes I think that I'm the only person that enjoys Castlevania Legends)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"