Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 8-Bit Classic Guide... What System's Game Values Are MOST Outdated Today?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Exclamation The 8-Bit Classic Guide... What System's Game Values Are MOST Outdated Today?

As you may know, the "old" DP Classic guide, which features the earliest systems and games up to the Nintendo Entertainment System, is on schedule for a new edition later this year.

While we've all dug in to modify the existing entries, prices are something that often gets neglected, and in many cases they're very very dusty at the moment. And while there has been a running thread on this, I'm sure many of you have hit the online guide at some time recently only to be shocked by an outdated, unrealistic (usually way too low) value.

This is the time to speak up. Rest assured that all prices for all games and systems right up to the NES will be updated for the book, but using the current online guide, what's the most hurting area in this regard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stadium Events and Nintendo World Championship for the NES are two that come to mind, right off the bat.

Of course, most games that fit that profile (limited production and high demand) are in the same boat.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Stadium Events and Nintendo World Championship for the NES are two that come to mind, right off the bat.

Of course, most games that fit that profile (limited production and high demand) are in the same boat.
    You do know that the guide "caps out" at $999, yes? NWC has been listed that way for years so I'm not sure where it's off in your mind (unless you didn't know that).

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    You do know that the guide "caps out" at $999, yes? NWC has been listed that way for years so I'm not sure where it's off in your mind (unless you didn't know that).

Thanks for the feedback!
    I did know about the dollar amount cap. I was going to mention it, but I just took it as a known reason for the pricing issue and, therefore, didn't mention it.

Alright, I'm off to look for more game prices that need correcting!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Feedback is appreciated. We're all caught up with the "prices off" thread in the Online Guide forum and now just working on our sections methodically. I'd still prefer to hit the things that make people feel the prices are outdated on FIRST.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SegaCD.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Game Boy is horribly off. Shantae, amongst others, is ranked an R3 and $15. Mega Man V is $15. Mr. Do is $15. Etc.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    SegaCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Game Boy is horribly off. Shantae, amongst others, is ranked an R3 and $15. Mega Man V is $15. Mr. Do is $15. Etc.
    This thread is for the Classic Guide, it only goes up to the NES system. I was going to mention the Gameboy stuff myself but I read the thread again more closely and realized it was about even older stuff.

And Shantae is listed at $5, not $15.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Atari VCS
    As you know I autioned off my 300 carts VCS collection in 2004 due to personal reasons.
    Since two years now I have started to re-collect VCS (cib), and games which used to be common, eg Star Wars the Arcade Game, Pressure Cooker, Frogger II Threeedeep
    and many more especially Activision titles have risen in value. So most VCS titles have increased in value, I'd say.

Ditto with A8 cartridges, but I don't keep track on this constantly.
    Last edited by tom; 07-21-2011 at 03:30 AM.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

So check it, I just cross-referenced the previous online guide with the store's price list (they're not meant to be the same values, retail prices are still a bit higher than the guide) and updated the entire Sega CD section in about 15 minutes. Loving the new editor tools. There won't be much "outdated" for very long.

2600 stuff is being worked on offline. After the book is out we'll get the online guide to reflect the massive changes.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

And since it was asked while I wasn't supposed to be listening, the reason why I'm asking even though I can do these lightning-fast now is because:

a) I want to fix the "most broken" sections first.
    b) I don't want to trample on other active editors' sections but can notify post-classic-guide guys.
    c) Not every section will go as lightning fast as Sega CD. I'm using my store price lists and there are still things we haven't seen or haven't seen enough to draw a clear price on.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I think NES is the section that is in need of the most attention. There's a lot of outdated prices. For instance, it shows Panic Restaurant as being worth $20 loose, compared to it's current $100+ value loose (and wow a complete copy just brought $300!). Some other uncommon/rare titles with off prices are Zombie Nation, Baby Boomer, Little Samson, and Wacky Races.

Maybe it goes without saying because NES collecting has really taken off as of late, but I thought I'd mention this.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Personally I think NES is the section that is in need of the most attention. There's a lot of outdated prices. For instance, it shows Panic Restaurant as being worth $20 loose, compared to it's current $100+ value loose (and wow a complete copy just brought $300!). Some other uncommon/rare titles with off prices are Zombie Nation, Baby Boomer, Little Samson, and Wacky Races.

Maybe it goes without saying because NES collecting has really taken off as of late, but I thought I'd mention this.
    That's what I'm talking about. Updated your entries and NES is a few hour project in the works (not at this exact moment but easy enough to get caught up in the next week).

PS while wondering why Panic Restaurant became so sought-after I grabbed my collection copy and discovered that it is factory-sealed. So anyone who has a complete copy in good condition and wants to give me lots of money to take a sealed one off my hands, please do, or spread the word.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

All of the rarities and values of the 1989 and 1990 Atari 2600 red box releases need to be re-examined in light of the Venezuelan find and Ebay sales and what seems to have been an earlier find before the Venezuelan stuff came to light. You would be very hard pressed to get $50 for a loose Motorodeo or Ikari Warriors considering that you can buy sealed copies of both for $20 each easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Metal Storm is around $20 loose now, probably because it's the most frequently mentioned NES title in "underrated" and "hidden gem" threads.

Hillsfar is around $25 and Faria $30 loose.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bucky O'Hare is another NES game that has risen in value the past few years. It's around $15-20 loose now.

Gun-Nac loose is also in the $20 range nowadays
    Last edited by cracked8ball; 07-22-2011 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ebay BINs for CIB+map Koei titles has increased from around $45 last year to currently $100+. I don't think many of those BINs actually sell though. Auction prices are $40-60.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    PS while wondering why Panic Restaurant became so sought-after I grabbed my collection copy and discovered that it is factory-sealed. So anyone who has a complete copy in good condition and wants to give me lots of money to take a sealed one off my hands, please do, or spread the word.
    Panic Restaurant is by product of the late release Taito effect, started by Flintstones 2 and now it's just spreading to every other late release Taito game (Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, Jetsons, Bubble Bobble 2, Power Blade 2 in particular). In some cases, value was average or flat, others, it was already high (BB2).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VIC-20 valuations were way too high in the last printed guide. I was going to check if that's still true but for some reason the online rarity guide isn't available.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    Ebay BINs for CIB+map Koei titles has increased from around $45 last year to currently $100+. I don't think many of those BINs actually sell though. Auction prices are $40-60.
    The best estimation of value is going by completed listings on eBay.