Thread: Is there a list of Wii games that use the Classic or Classic Pro controller?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Is there a list of Wii games that use the Classic or Classic Pro controller?

First let me be clear. I do not currently own a Wii. That said, I have the same plans for the Wii as did for just about every console I own today which is pick one up at some point cheaply with a bunch of games/accessories once it has been replaced by the next generation of console.

HOWEVER. I am not into the whole Wiimote / Nunchuk or whatever the terms are (forgive my lack of Wii Knowledge) I have played several titles at friends and relatives. I can see getting it for the must have, must play games as well as emulators and any other use I can make out of it. I would prefer to use the Classic controller or Classic Controller Pro (are they both compatible?) or even Gamecube controllers. So, I would like to know what are all the games, emulators, down-loadable games that can make use of the Classic/Pro controllers or even Gamecube controllers? I want to avoid using anything wireless as much as possible THANKS!
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Classic Controller Pro is only a slight variation -- the shoulder buttons are a bit different, and it has handles, so it's shaped more like a Playstation controller (whereas the original Classic Controller is more shaped like an SNES controller). They are exactly the same as far as the games are concerned.

I don't know of a full list anywhere -- there is one on wikipedia but it's incomplete. But usually it's pretty easy to find out if a particular game is compatible. Also, every single Virtual Console game can use the Classic Controller.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know Donkey Kong Country Returns is a no go, that was a major bummer for me, in terms of buying a Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    I want to avoid using anything wireless as much as possible
    You're pretty much SOL, then, because the classic controllers are still wireless in the sense that they connect to the Wii through the Wiimote.
    It's like the worst of both worlds; the clumsy cord of a wired pad, with the dependency on batteries and syncing of a wireless pad.
    Even GC games (and Wii games that use the GC pad) need the Wiimote to launch the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    You're pretty much SOL, then, because the classic controllers are still wireless in the sense that they connect to the Wii through the Wiimote.
    It's like the worst of both worlds; the clumsy cord of a wired pad, with the dependency on batteries and syncing of a wireless pad.
    Even GC games (and Wii games that use the GC pad) need the Wiimote to launch the game.
    Ah I was not too clear on that, I am fine with that, I meant as in controlling gameplay once the game starts. I just want to play games with the good old feeling of using a gamepad and not the Wiimote, manipulating menu's or launching the games are fine using a wireless method but once gameplay starts I want the feel of a gamepad as opposed to waving my arms all over the damn place.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wish all first party wii games had gamecube/classic controller support. I wouldnt miss any of the motion controls at all. I also wish that the classic controlle pro could plug directly into the gamecube controller port.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I just picked up a wii myself a few days ago and I know where you are coming from, overall its a good console but I'm not too big of a fan of the way motion controls are used all the time. However the only time where I'm forced to use the remote at all is at startup the system asks you to press the A button on the controller, from then on I just use the Classic Controller Pro for menu navigation and playing games.

I'm not sure if their is a comprehensive compatible control method list anywhere but if your wondering about individual Wii titles then check the back of the retail boxes. In the upper right hand corner it will list what the game can use as a control method in the form of a wiimote, nunchuck attachment, classic controller (and by extension the PRO version), or game cube pad. As far as the homebrew channel is concerned it seems that most everything is compatible with the classic controller PRO so you should be fine on that front as well.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This list shows what games use the classic controller and Gamecube controllers. It mentions that it is an incomplete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sic_Controller