Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis question

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis question

I'm new to the Genesis and last night was trying to hook one up. I figured, easy, right, it's just an rf and power supply. Wrong. This is my situation:

I tried to hook up two difference Genesis 1 consoles. Same result with both. I put the RF from the console to the vcr input, attached the power supply. The sound came out fine, the picture came out, but the picture just about rolled vertically with both consoles. Could I be using the wrong rf or something? Maybe something about passing through a vcr via coax? The TV is fine as it works with everything else... but these Genesis consoles didn't want to work properly and the fact that they both did the same thing leads me to believe I did something wrong.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

what RF are you using? It sounds like the RF is being odd. either that or possibly not enough power? I'm a little confused to why this would happen myself.

-AG

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can get the model # of the a/c tonight, and I used both an NES and a Sega rf with the same results...

I was just looking at a gen a/v cord on ebay. It only has one audio plug. I thought the Genesis is stereo?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Genny one does not output stereo out of it's rear DIN plug. Only out of it's front earphone plug. The Genny two can output stereo out of it's rear mini DIN plug.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, so the back of the Gen has the DIN socket, that a/v socket, and the ps socket. What I was trying to use was that a/v socket with an rf. Is that wrong? Do I need to find one that works with that DIN socket? Where the smeg can I find an owner's manual?

x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DIN= barrel plug
    RF= small round, looks kinda like a composite jack, but isn't (composite is red, yellow, white plugs)

An RF switch would connect to the small round RF jack on the back of the genny. Try changing the channel on the back of the Genny as well. I've seen some that would no longer work on one channel, but would on the other.

The RF out on the genny could be toasted. If so, a composite cable that connects to the big DIN in the back would likely solve your problem.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah... that's the weird thing, though. Both consoles did the same thing, which would mean that I either picked up two with the exact same problem within days of each other, or something in my setup is interfering. I'm going to continue to debug the situation.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is not an "A/V" & a "DIN" they are one and the same. You should have an 8-pin DIN labeled A/V OUT and you should also have a Female RCA jack, labeled RF OUT

With an RF switchbox, either the original Sega one, or a NES one should work, use the RF OUT, and connect to the COAX INPUT of your VCR, now you may run into problems depending on what channel your TV is set to, what channel the Genesis is set to, and also what channel the VCR is set and whether or not you have it on. You may have it on, but possibly not set to VCR. Or maybe something else in not hooked up right? Try hooking something else up thru the same setup to make sure everything else is working right. Got a NES? Try that.

Also as AdamG has asked about power, make sure its a DC power supply. NES uses AC that's not good for the Genesis. That too could be a possibility.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

First, adjust your v hold. Second, are you using an NTSC system on PAL TV or a PAL console on an NTSC TV?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The odds of my having found two PAL systems in the same week at yard sales in MA are staggeringly low, so we can rule that out.

The V hold on the tv is fine as everything else connected to it displays properly.

I did have an nes hooked up through that same vcr in and the signal went through properly (blinked like a mofo, but that's not relevant here).

It can't be an NES power supply because it says SEGA. I'll check the part # tonight to make sure it's the proper one.

When I said a/v, I meant RCA and was using the wrong term. My bad. I could understand if I was getting no signal, that would lead me to believe that I had a wrong channel or something. The fact that I get a signal, but it's bad, is what is confusing... tonight i'm going to pull out another TV and just set it up in the most basic way with rf into the tv. Let's eliminate all the variables.

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No idea if this will help....

Genesis Model 1 uses RF Switch #1603 while Model 2 and 3 use Switch #1632 (these numbers should be somewhere on the switch itself.

Also, some TV models are not compatable with the Genesis (according to Sega.com). These models include Zenith, Magnavox, and Sylvania. Why this happens the website doesn't say....
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where is the genesis info on sega.com? I tried looking there with pretty much zero results for Genesis info...

The tv I'm using is pretty damn old, but it works so far with dreamcast, nes, saturn, my vcr and directv...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    The odds of my having found two PAL systems in the same week at yard sales in MA are staggeringly low, so we can rule that out.
    That's gotta be the most diplomatic response that could be expected from you

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default a

Odds or not, it could be, if all else works.

Try on another tv to rule it out. I had to have a "Zenith mod" done by Sega on my genesis once....it didn't roll though...it just came in like complete crap.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, he's trying to help me out and pointed out a legit possibility. I'm not THAT jerky that I'd snap at someone offering me help! I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that, if it was snippy or anything like that, it was purely unintentional.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: a

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick

Try on another tv to rule it out. I had to have a "Zenith mod" done by Sega on my genesis once....it didn't roll though...it just came in like complete crap.

-Rob
    Hrm... I wonder what brand that TV is. I honestly don't know. I'll have to check that out.

<5 minutes pass>

I just called and sent my wife to the basement to look at the tv. Goddam if it isn't a Zenith. It's like 40 years old but it is definitely a Zenith. What exactly was the problem with the Zenith tvs?

Peach (Level 3) Pop Culture Portal's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: a

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick

-Rob
    Hrm... I wonder what brand that TV is. I honestly don't know. I'll have to check that out.

<5 minutes pass>

I just called and sent my wife to the basement to look at the tv. Goddam if it isn't a Zenith. It's like 40 years old but it is definitely a Zenith. What exactly was the problem with the Zenith tvs?

No idea what was up with the Zeniths...the same thing happened to me when I bought one of the first PS1s...my older Zenith, no go...on my brother's newer Zenith, everything worked. From what I remember, the older Zeniths don't have an automatic horizontal control (or something like that...supposedly a chip not available for the older TVs)...this was "fixed" later on newer models, which included this chip...basically, ANY game system hooked up to these TVs were not supposed to work, yet all my other game systems worked on that crappy Zenith, except for the PS1. Go figure.

And BTW...

http://www.sega.com/help/classic/gen...shooting.jhtml

There's a tad bit of info on the TV incompatability about half-way down under "The screen is bouncing or jumping."
    All right youngens, bath time. Cover up your eyes and drop your britches! Who wants wax?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I wonder what entails this 'Zenith Modification' for the Genesis when you send it in?

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just found that url myself. Funky stuff. That tv works with directv, vcr, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES... those are all things I've tested so far and they all work perfectly. I know it doesn't have a vertical hold because I tried to find one to adjust it. So now if I want to do this whole setup properly (I'm planning on setting up one of each system on switchboxes) I have to get another tv just because of the genesis? That's retarded.

Does anyone know if the Laseractive has this issue with Zeniths? I do have one of those but hadn't planned on using it in this setup.

Also, this 'Zenith mod'... are these modded consoles still compatible with nonZeniths?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm gonna move this over to the Restoration Society Forum. Seems like a better fit there, yes?

>> YES <<