Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis question

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd never heard of such. The TV's are not compatable! I've never had a problem out of Magnavox personally although now I mainly use Sony. I guess that's always an option... There's no way to get a model 1 and the model 2,3 RF switches confused. The 2 & 3 RF switches go to the mini-DIN of the A/V on those model systems. It's an entirely different plug.

Best thing to do is go simple like you've already suggested. Make sure it's not a problem with the systems, or power supplies, or RF switches, then it it's still working look elsewhere to what you may have fouled up.

Oh and if you've got a Sega power supply you should be OK. The model 2,3 and other Sega ones, for CDX, Nomad etc. all used a smaller barrel plug, again it wouldn't fit right so you would know right off. But sometimes people think you can just use a NES power supply, and end up frying your Genesis, or Jaguar, it's also a DC system.

I find it hard to believe you have two bad Genesis systems, or that they are both PAL, Actually is this even possible? I thought all foreign versions were Mega Drives? Wouldn't they be labeled as such?

Almost as unbelievable is that your TV is incompatible with the system, I've had close to 20 Sega Genesis systems, and have never found one to not like a tv of mine, sounds more like a coverup by Sega.. Although there are people here claiming that to be the truth..

I think it's something simpler than that. It's Got to be...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah... though every piece of evidence points to the Zenith incompatibility. I guess we'll find out tonight when I bust out my trusty (had it since 1985) 13" Hitachi and see if they work on that one.

What intrigues me now is whether or not the Laseractive is also incompatible with certain Zenith TVs... I'll have to test that out. In any case I now know that the old Zenith I'm using for my setup isn't the one I'm going to be able to stay with since I do intend to have a Genesis in that setup. It's going to be a true room of doom.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Console outputs picture & sound = Not power supply
    Console has color image = Not PAL
    Console has clear screen but rolls = Not RF switch

All signs point to the TV. There must be some peculiarity in the Genesis video signal that doesn't bother most TVs, but bothers Zenith TVs.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got an old Zenith (I think it's a Zenith) that works just fine with my Dreamcast, but when I plug in the Playstation, either via RF or composite, I get bouncy bouncy bouncy picture for most games. It's not a constant rolling, but rather a jerky up-down. Playable, barely--headache-inducing, definitely. The TV has got to be at least 20 years old, probably more. So the Playstation incompatibility is for real, I've found. I wouldn't be surprised if your Gennies are suffereing the same incompatibility.

The funny thing is that for the PS and PS2, it's all in the game code. Not all of my PS games bounce. If a PS game bounces, though, it's going to bounce whether I play it through a PS, a PS1, or a PS2. Some PS2 games bounce, as well (e.g., Ico). Some games bounce during the intro, but not during gameplay (Jeopardy, PS). In Gradius III & IV (PS2), one of the two games (III, I think) bounces, while the other doesn't.

This is the reason that the best TV in the house is in my game cave, while the Zenith POS lives in the bedroom. Priorities, man.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen instances where a console gets just enough juice from the wrong ps to work but not work properly... or work properly and get fried over time. It is possible, but here all evidence does point to the TV being incompatible.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed in the original post that you're connecting it through a vcr. Have you tried plugging it directly into the tv? VCRs can interfere with picture from games, although admittedly it's usually the macrovision interfering with composite signals. Also, I don't think it's the RF. With an RF, if it doesn't just stop working completely, you will usually lose sound but not pic or pic but not sound.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, after taking another tv and connecting both units directly to it (one at a time), both work just fine. It must be the tv... that stupid Zenith incompatibility.

One more question: One Gen1 says HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS along the top and the other does not. I assume that basically means one is first run and one is a later run... is there a real difference? Is one better to have than the other?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As long as one doesn't say Mega Drive on it, they are the same. I found a Mega drive here in a pawn in Edmonton once. It was a Japanese one.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The unit with 'High Definition Graphics' on it would be the earliest version, and it has no form of lockout/territory chip inside. Models after that one do, and they'll show a black screen with white lettering that reads 'Licensed by Sega Interprises' etc before actually moving onto the game. It's a slight pause, and you could consider the earliest version to be the best, but I've run across a few games I could not get to work on it, so it's probably best to keep both.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oooh... no lockout! Am I correct in assuming that means you can play Japanese games? Euro games would be out, I suspect, since they're PAL, but Japan uses NTSC...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Oooh... no lockout! Am I correct in assuming that means you can play Japanese games? Euro games would be out, I suspect, since they're PAL, but Japan uses NTSC...
    Ironically it's the other way around. Japanese megadrive games are shaped differently and will not fit in the slot of American and European systems. However, most early PAL games (that I've managed to try) will work on that early American system, something about the way they're coded that allows them to display NTSC.

The thing about the lockout on later models is that they actually prevent certain old American carts from playing, like some early EA games.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Right... so, basically, I'm going to keep the earlier one and trade away the newer one. I figure I'll find a newer one again easier than the earlier one. Cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wily Wars was only available in Europe, I think (?).

Any way of playing these on Genesis 2 with an adaptor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can get a "HoneyBee" connector that allows japanese MD games to play on any Genny. I have no PAL games to test.

I traded my Japanese MD away when I got the Honeybee. That said, It's quite the sight, my honeybee connected to my 32X which is connected to my Genny, which is connected to my SEGACD.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    The unit with 'High Definition Graphics' on it would be the earliest version, and it has no form of lockout/territory chip inside.
    Actually, there are 2 versions of the "High Definition Graphics" Genesis, a lockout and a non-lockout. I have about 8 Genesis right now with the "HD-G" at the top, and only 1 is truly non-lockout. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell unless you plug them in, or open them up (unless somebody has deciphered the serial number progression).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Then I stand corrected! Could the difference in the 'Hi-D' Genny and the ones without be the lack of that serial port in the back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using the Power Base on either Gen 1 or Gen 2....

Are you able to play Gun games for SMS? With the Genesis gun or do the inputs of the SMS allow to use the SMS gun on the Genesis?

What's the button layout for the Genesis using the SMS games... A & B or B & C ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then I stand corrected! Could the difference in the 'Hi-D' Genny and the ones without be the lack of that serial port in the back?
    Yep. That, and some changes to the board design (mostly the shift from discreet components to ASICs).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    Using the Power Base on either Gen 1 or Gen 2....

Are you able to play Gun games for SMS? With the Genesis gun or do the inputs of the SMS allow to use the SMS gun on the Genesis?

What's the button layout for the Genesis using the SMS games... A & B or B & C ?
    You can use the gun with the power base converter no problem. The buttons map to B & C (I think). The PBC works only with the style 1 Genesis. It probably would work with the Genesis 2, but it won't fit. It also works with the CDX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    Ironically it's the other way around. Japanese megadrive games are shaped differently and will not fit in the slot of American and European systems. However, most early PAL games (that I've managed to try) will work on that early American system, something about the way they're coded that allows them to display NTSC.

The thing about the lockout on later models is that they actually prevent certain old American carts from playing, like some early EA games.
    This is also true for some early PAL Mega Drives. US Genesis games have often been compatible with many Mega Drive model 1's and some Model 2's

[/random info]