Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current-Gen Games That Will Retain Value

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Current-Gen Games That Will Retain Value

I've been talking with some friends recently about how sixth-gen and up games generally won't retain their value due to having a high amount of prints. There are some PS2/GC/XBox games that will always prove to be expensive, but what PS3/Wii/360 games do you guys think might end up being pricey 5-10 years down the line?

I've noticed that most of the first-party Wii games have retained 30-50% of their value, and I've found that to be somewhat interesting. If Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story end up being PAL-only games (localization wise) I can imagine them commanding high prices for some time, also.

I think most of the 360-exclusive disc-based shmups will probably always go for a lot as well. As for multi-plat and/or exclusive PS3/360 games, I'm guessing that the Japan-only PS3 version of Red Seeds Profile will always sell for a high price. I would also wager that if Atlus never picked up Demon's Souls, the Hong Kong version (100% English) would forever sell at a high price point as well.

Any other thoughts on this issue? Along with PS3/Wii/360, I would say that handhelds count too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This generation seems quite different from the past generations. The only game (well it's actually a set) that has jumped in price is the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii. I could see the Ys games for the PSP becoming collector's items in a few years as well, but with most titles being multi-platform, I don't think we'll see that many rare titles that will jump in price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Ultimate Sith edition of Star Wars: TFU has also retained it's value so far. One way to see if things from a few years still sell(besides looking online) is to check out your local Game Stop. I know it's not exactly the best measurement for this kind of thing but when you see that they are still selling used copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy for $50 or 60 and other used games for high price points, chances are those are still in demand. Rather that demand will last another 5+ years is anyone's guess.

The only games I see retaining their value for the forseeable future are the limited editions of the first Mass Effect and Bioshock. Even used those still command a pretty solid mark up.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A lot of garbage was released for Wii and DS. I imagine that stuff will be worth a bit due to lack of interest during release and low print runs, more than likely.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo 1st party titles nearly always keep their value, or at least a decent one. Probably due to how Nintendo almost never reduces the RRP.

The DS has plenty of niche RPGs that will forseeably keep or increase their value. I know Rondo of Swords (Pal) is currently going for more than what I paid for it.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Collector's Editions have potential to be worth a little more in the next several years. The Dragon Age: Origins CE was worth more than retail the last time I checked, on 360 at least. The Mass Effect 2 CE (complete) seems to be worth more and more as does the Demon's Souls CE. I could see a game like Deathsmiles going up in value over time as well. Games that rely heavily on online play will most likely be worth the least.
    Collection list (work in progress): http://vgcollect.com/darko

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It'll be interesting to see if One Piece Unlimited Adventure and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (Wii version) will hold value.
    Lum fan.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

So many games nowadays are released in such quantities that I don't think they'll ever reach the prices that some prior generation games command. But alot of those prices are ridiculous. I could see some of the limited/special edition games holding value and maybe increasing some over the years. Other than that I agree that alot of the MP specific games will drop drop drop 1. because they get such wide release and 2. because after the servers go dead what draw is there?

Tetris DS will probably always hold value at least if you can prove its not one of the umpteen million bootlegs out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhus View Post
    I've noticed that most of the first-party Wii games have retained 30-50% of their value, and I've found that to be somewhat interesting. If Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story end up being PAL-only games (localization wise) I can imagine them commanding high prices for some time, also.
    First party Wii games hold their value because Nintendo rarely ever lowers the price no matter how good the games sell. Unlike literally every other console developer and third party developer on the market. Nintendo just FINALLY released a budget line of a few games that have been out since launch.

Nintendo 1st party titles nearly always keep their value, or at least a decent one. Probably due to how Nintendo almost never reduces the RRP.
    Swamperon replied first but I'll leave mine.

Anyways, the only games I see holding their value is, like others have mentioned, a few collector's editions, a few early release PSP games with a somewhat low print, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition, and Tetris DS.

The reason why "some" limited editions hold their value is that: They're actually limited print runs, Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition. You could only win them, Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition. Or my least favorite but happens quite often, released in only one area and is limited, like Yakuza 4 Kuro Edition.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    First party Wii games hold their value because Nintendo rarely ever lowers the price no matter how good the games sell. Unlike literally every other console developer and third party developer on the market. Nintendo just FINALLY released a budget line of a few games that have been out since launch.

Swamperon replied first but I'll leave mine.

Anyways, the only games I see holding their value is, like others have mentioned, a few collector's editions, a few early release PSP games with a somewhat low print, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Star Wars Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition, and Tetris DS.

The reason why "some" limited editions hold their value is that: They're actually limited print runs, Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition. You could only win them, Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition. Or my least favorite but happens quite often, released in only one area and is limited, like Yakuza 4 Kuro Edition.
    This argument about Nintendo first party games is just no longer accurate. For the past two years or so, every Nintendo first party game has been on sale between Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy or Target multiple times. In fact, the most recent Metroid is $20 as Amazon's deal of the day today. Sin & Punishment 2 has been under $20 for months at multiple retailers. Animal Crossing hit as low as $7.50 at Target on clearance a few months back. While Nintendo doesn't permanently reduce MSRP generally, they are clearly allowing retailers to give massive discounts on their first party titles on a regular basis. I really don't think there will be any "valuable" games from this generation as everything including the vast majority of the CE/LE/SE's were massively overproduced and more importantly, lots of people are collecting modern games meaning there will be lots of copies out there down the road in very nice shape.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This argument about Nintendo first party games is just no longer accurate. For the past two years or so, every Nintendo first party game has been on sale between Amazon, Toys R Us, Best Buy or Target multiple times. In fact, the most recent Metroid is $20 as Amazon's deal of the day today. Sin & Punishment 2 has been under $20 for months at multiple retailers. Animal Crossing hit as low as $7.50 at Target on clearance a few months back. While Nintendo doesn't permanently reduce MSRP generally, they are clearly allowing retailers to give massive discounts on their first party titles on a regular basis. I really don't think there will be any "valuable" games from this generation as everything including the vast majority of the CE/LE/SE's were massively overproduced and more importantly, lots of people are collecting modern games meaning there will be lots of copies out there down the road in very nice shape.
    Sure they've been on sale/clearence, but as REGULARLY priced games, they don't fall that much. You can find the exception of course(animal crossing) but by and large, Nintendo prices fall slowly.

And Sin and Punishment isn't Nintendo First Party.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Sure they've been on sale/clearence, but as REGULARLY priced games, they don't fall that much. You can find the exception of course(animal crossing) but by and large, Nintendo prices fall slowly.

And Sin and Punishment isn't Nintendo First Party.
    Yes, slower than other publishers perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that most Nintendo games have been available for below and in some cases massively below MSRP over the past two years. This was never the case previously as Nintendo really actively stopped retailers from selling their games at a discount through a variety of means including stock allocation and promo incentives.

Sin and Punishment 2 is published by Nintendo which makes it "first party" published despite the fact that Nintendo didn't develop the game (therefore it's not first party developed) as Nintendo is also the company which makes the hardware.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 07-27-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For arguements sake (no disrespect intended)
    In the video game industry, a first-party developer is a developer that is part of a company that manufactures a video game console. First-party developers may either use the name of the company itself (like Nintendo), have a specific division name like Sony's Polyphony Digital, or have formerly been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer, such as Rare or Naughty Dog.[1]

As sin and Punishment 2 was developed by Treasure, it is not a first party game. Nintendo owns no part of Treasure.
    Star Successor is an exclusive. Nothing more.
    Monster Hunter Tri was Published by Nintendo in Europe and Australia, does that make it a first party game? Nope.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For arguements sake (no disrespect intended)
    In the video game industry, a first-party developer is a developer that is part of a company that manufactures a video game console. First-party developers may either use the name of the company itself (like Nintendo), have a specific division name like Sony's Polyphony Digital, or have formerly been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer, such as Rare or Naughty Dog.[1]

As sin and Punishment 2 was developed by Treasure, it is not a first party game. Nintendo owns no part of Treasure.
    Star Successor is an exclusive. Nothing more.
    Monster Hunter Tri was Published by Nintendo in Europe and Australia, does that make it a first party game? Nope.
    Perhaps I could have been more clear, however, Nintendo is a first party solely because they manufacture the hardware. The are a first party developer and they are also a first party publisher, often of third party developed games. Having worked for a studio with a video games division, I would agree with you that when somebody says "X" is a "first party" game, it generally means both developed and published. In this case, however, I clarified that it was a first party published game only which is perfectly accurate and perfectly acceptable in the industry terminology. In any event, the point stands that Nintendo has allowed significant discounting of both their first party developed and first party published titles in the past two years, the most recent examples of which are Mystery Case Files on the Wii which Amazon had for 50% off the launch week and Zelda 3DS which virtually every retailer had on sale launch week and which has continued to be on sale since at various retailers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Who says Nintendo's "allowing" it in that sense? There's not much they could do about it without killing PR among gamers or the possibility of getting in trouble for anti-competitive practices. Except when it's through sales channels owned/operated by Nintendo.

As far as I'm concerned once a third-party retailer has purchased inventory of a game, the decision to offer discounts should be theirs alone and at their own risk.
    Lum fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Yes, slower than other publishers perhaps, but it doesn't change the fact that most Nintendo games have been available for below and in some cases massively below MSRP over the past two years. This was never the case previously as Nintendo really actively stopped retailers from selling their games at a discount through a variety of means including stock allocation and promo incentives.

Sin and Punishment 2 is published by Nintendo which makes it "first party" published despite the fact that Nintendo didn't develop the game (therefore it's not first party developed) as Nintendo is also the company which makes the hardware.
    Metroid and S&P aren't in-demand Nintendo titles. Mario Galaxy, Mario Party 8, Smash Bros Brawl, New Super Mario Bros Wii, and Mario Kart Wii are all MSRP $49.99 with Mario Kart at $39.99 on Amazon, the cheapest I can find it new. Nintendo is like Disney: they'll discount stuff from their subsidiaries but their premiere titles never waver in price because there is still demand for it.

I guess you can chalk it up to good design, or maybe the power of their name brands, but Nintendo is probably the only company that can publish a 4 year old game and repackage it at the same cost.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Who says Nintendo's "allowing" it in that sense? There's not much they could do about it without killing PR among gamers or the possibility of getting in trouble for anti-competitive practices. Except when it's through sales channels owned/operated by Nintendo.

As far as I'm concerned once a third-party retailer has purchased inventory of a game, the decision to offer discounts should be theirs alone and at their own risk.
    They used to proactively stop retailers from doing any discounting of their titles by refusing to grant guaranteed allocations of in-demand titles and they would withhold promotional money, displays. etc...That doesn't appear to be the case anymore from what I've heard and there have even been certain titles where they have provided financial support to retailers like Kmart and Amazon to provide coupons or gift certificates towards future game purchases. Again, I agree that their core titles are held to MSRP for long periods of time, but the days of Nintendo actively stopping retailers from lowering sales prices at retail are long gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

At retail, you're right. You still see the prices holding steady for long periods of time (Mario Kart DS being the all time winner). At Amazon (i.e. reality), every single Nintendo 1st party title (Wii and DS) has been significantly discounted since release. The old philosophy of "Buy the Nintendo game now because it won't get any cheaper for 1-2 years" is done. It's been over for at least a year now. Dinosaurs still buying games at Target and Walmart just haven't gotten the message yet.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Regardless how you want to spin it, MSRP for Nintendo games, aside from those four that made it to the budget line up, never reduce in price. This is fact.

Yes. Amazon is running a video game deal of the day for Metroid the Other M for $20. What happens when you miss the 24 hour sale? It's no longer on sale? You can find any game on sale if you wait long enough(I got Tactics Ogre PSP on sale a month after it was released, Yakuza 4 was released at $39.99 at Best Buy, etc.) Doesn't mean the MSRP isn't still higher and the fact that MSRP is just what it says "suggested retail price." Undercutting your competition usually means more business. Walmart used to do it, and now that they have everyone thinking that they're lowest priced, they jack the prices up to higher than what you'll find in most locations(that and Sam Walton is dead.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Regardless how you want to spin it, MSRP for Nintendo games, aside from those four that made it to the budget line up, never reduce in price. This is fact.

Yes. Amazon is running a video game deal of the day for Metroid the Other M for $20. What happens when you miss the 24 hour sale? It's no longer on sale? You can find any game on sale if you wait long enough(I got Tactics Ogre PSP on sale a month after it was released, Yakuza 4 was released at $39.99 at Best Buy, etc.) Doesn't mean the MSRP isn't still higher and the fact that MSRP is just what it says "suggested retail price." Undercutting your competition usually means more business. Walmart used to do it, and now that they have everyone thinking that they're lowest priced, they jack the prices up to higher than what you'll find in most locations(that and Sam Walton is dead.)
    But the question posed by the OP was which current gen games will retain their value. Obviously, if you pay $50 for a game, it has to be worth more than $50 a few years from now just to keep up with inflation. Very few games in previous generations have ever maintained their value and as several of us have pointed out, regardless of Nintendo's previous stance on maintaining MSRP, it doesn't change the fact that on Amazon and at retail, most Wii games have been on sale over the past few years. Metroid Other M has repeatedly been on sale at Amazon, including during launch week. It has also been on sale at Best Buy repeatedly. MSRP may not be falling, but almost any Wii game can be found for well below MSRP easily.