Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DS MASSIVE Price Drop - 250 to 170

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From CNN...

"The company is 39 million units short of projected sales for the fiscal year ending March 31, and has cut financial projections for the year from 110 billion yen to 20 billion yen -- a plunge of 82 percent."

Wow. That's a big drop.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming....rum/index.html

!
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Their hardware sold well (Wii/DS), it's the software woes they can't shake. They can't carry themselves in the market anymore with first party releases like they could, at least marginally well, since the N64. There is too much competition and, variety and convenience is winning (iOS/Android).

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    If Nintendo wants to make more money, how about make 3DS region free and release Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora’s Tower, and the Mother series (Earthbound) to N. America. I'm sure that will make your fan happy and make your investor happy.
    Sorry, but RPGs are still a small niche that aren't going to be million-sellers in the US. It doesn't matter how much of a hardcore fanbase anything has, these games will NOT sell as good as you think they will.

As for the price drop, they're definitely going to spring back from this, I think. I can see the 3DS making a huge comeback when the holiday season rolls around.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I found reason #3:

Nintendo's Cuts Net Income Forecast 82%

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If Nintendo kept the 3DS the exact same price point until the PS Vita launch, then Vita would probably have been the winner no contest. Either that, or maybe Nintendo should have waited a bit longer before announcing the price drop as there's a lot Sony can end up doing in four months.
    The way I see it, Nintendo has massive appeal (i.e. kids, adults, teens, etc.) while Vita's appeals to only one demographic (i.e. young adults) and that's Sony problem. Sure, LBP is the exception but it shouldn't be if they're serious in going toe-to-toe with 3DS. Judging by their upcoming software holiday line-up, Nintendo would still "win" hands down cause they have great titles (i.e. Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, Super Mario, RE: Revelations, Devil Survivor) for everyone.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 07-28-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    That's a good drop but I still don't want one. Now my wish is Sony will drop the Vita to $200.
    The two things preventing me from going out and picking up a post price drop 3DS now are battery life and games. I still don't see any software that really interests me in the system outside of 1 or 2 titles and I don't see a whole lot on the horizon. Hopefully once they move more units some previously canceled games will see the light of day but as it stands not a whole lot motivates me to pick one up.

I HIGHLY doubt that Sony could knock off 50 bucks from the Vita's price already but I imagine it could be a really close handheld race. I think with a strong launch it could be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DT Maniac

Well I am happy I sould mine a few months back when I needed money, never even opened it. Even so with this price drop I think I will bite because I am itching to play Zelda.

I've have also heard that Nintendo is taking a loss on every 3DS sold now. At least according to Nintendo News twitter. I'm just curious as to how they can possibly get away with that.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ask Sony and Microsoft, they can tell you.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lanzo View Post
    Well I am happy I sould mine a few months back when I needed money, never even opened it. Even so with this price drop I think I will bite because I am itching to play Zelda.

I've have also heard that Nintendo is taking a loss on every 3DS sold now. At least according to Nintendo News twitter. I'm just curious as to how they can possibly get away with that.
    Not sure what you mean by "loss". The bill of parts for a 3DS runs about $108 not including assembly, shipping, marketing, licensing, distribution expenses, etc...At $170, they are probably going to still make a few bucks, just not the significant margins they were making at $250.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Amateurs.

If someone wants the 20 downloadable games and the cheaper price do this:

1.) Buy 3DS at Target.
    2.) After the price goes down, take your receipt to the service counter and have the price adjusted. They credit the difference back to you.
    3.) The end.

Target (and other retailers I'm sure) has a 14-day "price adjustment" policy. I do this all the time when an item goes on sale a week or two after you buy it. No screwing the store, no screwing Nintendo. It's 100% ethical and you get the best of both deals. Just make sure the price drop is 14 days (or less) from when you buy it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Amateurs.

1.) Buy 3DS at Target.
    2.) After the price goes down, take your receipt to the service counter and have the price adjusted. They credit the difference back to you.
    3.) The end.

Target (and other retailers I'm sure) has a 14-day "price adjustment" policy. I do this all the time when an item goes on sale a week or two after you buy it. No screwing the store, no screwing Nintendo. It's 100% ethical and you get the best of both deals. Just make sure the price drop is 14 days (or less) from when you buy it.
    That's pretty much the same thing I was saying. But what Skaar means is you get the 20 games and you get it at the cheaper price, so in that sense it's unethical because we know about the change beforehand.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

what Skaar means is you get the 20 games and you get it at the cheaper price, so in that sense it's unethical because we know about the change beforehand.
    You missed his point then.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I don't see a big deal about getting the 20 games, they're just NES and GBA titles. If they were actually DSiWare games then maybe it would be something significant. I'm guessing if anyone is actually interested in the NES and GBA titles that they'd already have those systems and games to play.

I still don't see anything worth playing on this system, none of the games appeal to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You missed his point then.
    His point was that the 20 free games are for early adopters that overpaid on the 3DS and that's why Nintendo is removing the ambassador program right before the price drop. The idea of getting the 20 free games and overall paying the $170 price is cheating the system.

So no. I didn't miss his point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

His point was that the 20 free games are for early adopters that overpaid on the 3DS and that's why Nintendo is removing the ambassador program right before the price drop. The idea of getting the 20 free games and overall paying the $170 price is cheating the system.

So no. I didn't miss his point.
    No, you missed the point. In your example you fuck the retailer.

In your mind, you obviously never thought of that. Or didn't care.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I just thought of something for those that were now going to pick up the 3DS due to the price drop.

The only reason this would work is we know of it in advance. (1)Go and pick it up for the $250 price point before the price drop. (2)Join the Ambassador Program, get the free 20 games and as soon as the price drop hits, (3)bring your receipt back to the store and complain. Being that it's been less than a month you are able to get a refund back up to whatever you paid more($80.) Do it on Amazon and you don't have to pay for tax(just make sure you don't do free shipping or you might not get it in time.)
    Here's my quote. I'll break it down using the same words and in my quote I'll enter (1) (2) (3.)

1. Pick the 3DS up for $250 before the price drop.
    2. Download the games(extra step that heybtbm didn't list but is obvious.)
    3. Bring your receipt back to the store and complain about the price drop. Get your $80 you overpaid.

Amateurs.

1.) Buy 3DS at Target.
    3.) The end.
    What do you know. The exact same fucking steps. Holy shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    No, you missed the point. In your example you fuck the retailer.
    How do you screw over the retailer exactly when most big box stores have price matching policies that cover price drops? If you know of a price being dropped the other thing to do is avoid purchasing until the drop, big box stores know people will wait which is why they offer the price matching. They'd rather get a sale now than have to wait, either way they'll get the same money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    How do you screw over the retailer exactly when most big box stores have price matching policies that cover price drops? If you know of a price being dropped the other thing to do is avoid purchasing until the drop, big box stores know people will wait which is why they offer the price matching. They'd rather get a sale now than have to wait, either way they'll get the same money.
    Matching with price protection policies I didn't have any issue with, at all.

The way he was making it sound was more of a purchase/return for refund, the "price matching" came into the game later.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

1. Pick the 3DS up for $250 before the price drop.
    2. Download the games(extra step that heybtbm didn't list but is obvious.)
    3. Bring your receipt back to the store and complain about the price drop. Get your $80 you overpaid.
    Minor point, but you can't do step two, the games aren't being made available to download until September so I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Matching with price protection policies I didn't have any issue with, at all.

The way he was making it sound was more of a purchase/return for refund, the "price matching" came into the game later.
    He worded it poorly but it was always about price matching/price protection policies. He said to bring back the receipt to get a partial refund(up to the new lower price). It should have been worded better but it was never about buying a new console for the games and then returning it for a full refund.

I just thought of something for those that were now going to pick up the 3DS due to the price drop.

The only reason this would work is we know of it in advance. Go and pick it up for the $250 price point before the price drop. Join the Ambassador Program, get the free 20 games and as soon as the price drop hits, bring your receipt back to the store and complain. Being that it's been less than a month you are able to get a refund back up to whatever you paid more($80.) Do it on Amazon and you don't have to pay for tax(just make sure you don't do free shipping or you might not get it in time.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You sign up for the ambassador program. Regardless if you get the games then or later, you already signed up for it.

How am I making it sound any different. I clearly said that if you're already interested in getting the 3DS then these steps you can also get the free 20 games while still paying the $170. I just added that you can do the same from an online retailer to save on taxes.

I did nothing more than quote myself to prove that heybtm listed the exact same steps that I did. I don't know what you were thinking I meant but don't see how you thought any different.