Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

Just completed Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy via the 3DS's eShop and like I suspected for all these years, it is an awesome game and a strong start to a long-lived series.

Back in the day I didn't own a Game Boy and felt abandoned by Nintendo Power when all of its coverage began to shift to the Game Boy and later the Super Nintendo. By that time it felt like Nintendo had all but surrendered interest in the console that made the company. Thankfully before it sent the NES out to sea Nintendo deemed it worthy of receiving Kirby's Adventure and I saw what made the GB game special... but of course in color and with Meta Knight and a save feature.

Like many of the Game Boy's early titles, this game is a quick game to finish and features only a small level set and no level select. However the five levels here are quite fun, fluid, and large by standards of the day, and each has many sections connected by doorways. Every one features a memorable boss fight at the end, whether you are fighting a giant tree, an eye in a lightning storm, Lolo and Lala's doppelgängers, a blimp with a cannon, or King Dedede himself. And if you want more of what's here, an Extra Game mode is available that remixes the original stages with more difficult enemies.

Unlike the later games, Kirby doesn't have his famous copy ability on display here. Instead he must utilize the rest of his abilities to stop the enemies. He can jump, he can fly, he can swim, he dive-bombs, he inhales blocks and enemies, and he spits them back at others as dangerous stars.

About the only other thing really missing is his pink color! And why you may ask? Because Nintendo of America didn't think Westerners would want to play as a pink puff ball. So NoA nixed the pink coloring on the game's cover art. But Kirby proved that though he's a little guy, he packs a mighty wallop, and we've seen his games released one after another ever since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HAL labs made some great games that Nintendo would later take credit for.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

and Kirby for the NES is really fun also.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kirby's Dream Land is a fun lil' game that's enjoyable to revisit once in awhile. Those sorts of easily digestible platformers definitely hold appeal from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    HAL labs made some great games that Nintendo would later take credit for.
    That sounds a little harsh, HAL may be a subsidiary of Nintendo but the HAL name has always been given proper developer credit. Aside from Kirby, is there any HAL property that Nintendo treats like 1st party?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the 3DS allow different color shades to play in like a Super Gameboy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently played through this as well. Even though it was quite easy, it was still enjoyable. I love how on the box cover he was white (instead of pink) because they didn't think it would sell in America/Europe if he was pink. There's also lots of glitches in the game as I later found out when researching for my site:
    http://www.glitchgamer.com/kirbys-dream-land-gb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Great to hear the 3DS is bringing classic GB games to new gamers who missed out on the classic system. I highly suggest you buy either a GBC or a GBA SP and start a real GB/GBC collection.

A little while ago I wrote a top 25 list of the best games to look for on the handheld. I own well over a hundred GameBoy games and this is what I consider the cream of the crop.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...y-color-games/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Solid title, I remember I could play through this game in a single class. (<50 minutes) and still have a good time.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having played Dream Land 2 first, I didn't care too much for the first one. It's just a slow platformer without the copy abilities and a linear level design. I'm sure I'd have liked it if I'd have played it before Dream Land 2 and Super Star.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Aside from Kirby, is there any HAL property that Nintendo treats like 1st party?
    Very minor, but 3-D Hot Rally on the FDS was originally promoted (, programmed?) and planned to be released by HAL, but then Mario characters were added and the game was released by Nintendo instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

A huge part of the game for me was actually the upbeat catchy music. The gameplay was almost secondary.

This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, Kirby 1's a good game for sure. And yes, it's very short. However, for everyone saying it's easy... um, did you not wait through the credits or something? Use the code shown at the end of the game (or look it up online) and play the game again in Extra mode, which could have been called Hard Mode, and just try to easily beat it again... Kirby 1 in Hard Mode is one of the tougher Kirby games, really.

Plus, after you beat THAT (it'll take longer!), wait through the credits again and you're given a second code, for a special options menu with some neat stuff on it.

Still though, as good as it is I do think Kirby 2 is the better game, it's a much longer game and does have some challenge too, in that case from trying to get all of the Crystal Shards. Plus powers are fun. The first game's just so short, and Kirby doesn't really have powers either. Still, it's got good graphics, solid level designs, and is fun, and is a classic, so sure, it's a good game. But I do like the sequels even more.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 07-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, without the extra mode the game really is much, much too short and easy to be worth whatever price it commands (and I'm sure it's substantial). I think it's the only game of its era that I beat the same day I started playing it.

With the extra mode, it's more acceptable, but sticking with Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Super Star, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (and maybe even Kirby 64) is the way to go. (Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3 are pretty well done, but the slow, puzzle-based gameplay is a bit of a drag.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Yeah, without the extra mode the game really is much, much too short and easy to be worth whatever price it commands (and I'm sure it's substantial).
    A loose cart is worth around $5, I think it's worth that price. I've played through the game but haven't played through the hard mode yet, it is an enjoyable title for sure. The early Kirby games are all pretty good, I just didn't like that Tilt 'n' Tumble one for the GBC.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually figured out the 2nd hidden code by accident while waiting at a doctor's office one time. The game is really short, but it is fun.

Speaking of HAL/Nintendo, I would love to see Hal Bailman from Air Fortress as an assist trophy on the next Super Smash Bros. Flying around the screen shooting his Light Blaster and Crash Beam Bullets at your opponents...

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone dig the GB Kirby offshoots? Block Ball, Star Stacker, Pinball Land? I'm quite partial to Kirby's Pinball Land, myself. There's a decent variety to the tables, the table goals are challenging and reasonably skill based (without being too reliant on lucky shots) and the ball physics are definitely solid. HAL's take on video pinball got better every time they tried their hand at it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I still need to give the original a play myself. I haven't managed to come across a cheap copy just yet. Oddly enough, my introduction to Kirby was with the spin-offs. I had Pinball Land and Block Ball on Game Boy, and Dream Course on SNES. It wasn't until Super Star came out that I finally played a traditional Kirby. Actually, now that I think about it, I believe Super Star and Kirby 64 are still the only traditional Kirby games I've played.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

First Kirby I've played was Kirby's Adventure. I didn't really enjoy Kirby's Dream Land much because it didn't have all the special powers and great level design that made Adventure so fun.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The Kirby "spin off" I sunk the most time into is Kirby's Dream Course. We'd play that game for a solid weekend without sleep back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    First Kirby I've played was Kirby's Adventure. I didn't really enjoy Kirby's Dream Land much because it didn't have all the special powers and great level design that made Adventure so fun.
    Blasphemy!

I liked Dreamland, though I found it a tad easy. But like Kupo stated, Adventure was much, MUCH better, thanks to it's length, depth, and difficulty.

Also loved the remake on the SNES and DS (SuperStar). Never understood why one level was taken out, though.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!