Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    True, but I'd say that Kirby 1, 2, and Adventure are all must-play titles really... Super Star (or Super Star Ultra) too perhaps, and for the spinoffs Pinball, Dream Course, Block Ball, and Canvass Curse should be played for sure. Kirby and the Amazing Mirror and Kirby's Epic Yarn are solid games as well, for the newer platformers.
    Oh, I agree. Kirby 1, 2 and Adventure are all amazing games in their own right. Super Star is one of the best Kirby games hands down, with Ultra being an excellent version in it's own right. I remember really liking the OST for Pinball and Block Ball. Dream Course and Canvass Curse I've yet to have a chance to play.

Amazing Mirror, Nightmare in Dreamland and Squeak Squad were all disappointments in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Super Smash Bros. was a great game; Kirby 64 was not. What happened with HAL in between these two games?
    Whatever it was, it was probably the same thing that happened in between Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Kirby 64 had the distinction of being possibly the only 2.5D platformer on the system.
    It's not. There's Goemon's Great Adventure, Tarzan, Mischief Makers if you count what little 3D it uses, probably more.

I'm really surprised to see so much Kirby 64 hate. The game was overall very well-received and still is held in high regard. It's a little less well-known compared to other N64 platformers, especially for one published by Nintendo, but I'd chalk that up to how late of a release it was. Honestly, I'd rather play Kirby 64 than many of the bigger name platformers on N64. Like I just recently played Banjo-Kazooie for the first time (my first time with Kirby 64 was about two years ago, so I'm not going off of nostalgia before anyone suggests), and I definitely prefer Kirby 64. It's a bit too easy (but that's nothing unusual for a Kirby game) and it's a bit slower than some other Kirby titles (but it's comparable, if not faster, than many, many other platformers that are highly respected, like much of the Castlevania series), but other than those issues, I really can't come up with many complaints about it.

From what I've seen of it in action, Dream Land 3 looks like a really nice game too, but I can easily see how if someone disliked one, they'd dislike the other, considering that Kirby 64 is basically a re-envisioning of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wasn't Kirby 64 stuck in development hell for a very long time?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ironically, nostalgia is what made me hate Kirby 64 so much. I was expecting it to match Kirby Super Star. It still boggles my mind that no other Kirby game has used the same powerup system as that (press a direction + attack to pull off a different move). Combining powerups is the only thing Kirby 64 has for it. Cutter + Bomb is seriously awesome.

Didn't know Goemon's Great Adventure and Tarzan were 2.5D. Mischief Makers doesn't really count any more than Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for DS.

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    I don't think so. It was only announced the year Super Smash Bros. came out. You might be thinking of Kirby's Air Ride, which was originally announced during the early N64 days and not released until 2003 for GameCube. Or, perhaps, the upcoming 2.5D Kirby game for Wii, which was supposed to come out for Gamecube?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2LZcgj8N8

Woah, that game looks sweet!
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 08-01-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    There's Goemon's Great Adventure, Tarzan, Mischief Makers if you count what little 3D it uses, probably more.
    Yoshi's Story and Paper Mario, as well.

Didn't know Goemon's Great Adventure and Tarzan were 2.5D. Mischief Makers doesn't really count
    Why not? Several levels feature polygon-based backgrounds and other levels feature gameplay on the Z-axis. I definitely consider Mischief Makers 2.5D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That suck's you can't chose your color like if you play it on the Game Boy Color

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Does Yoshi's Story use any 3D in its levels?

And Paper Mario isn't a platformer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    Yes it was. All HAL N64 games were, they had a hard time dealing with the transition to 3d. And that's why the only things they managed to release for the system were Kirby 64 and SSB, both 2.5d.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's not. There's Goemon's Great Adventure, Tarzan, Mischief Makers if you count what little 3D it uses, probably more.
    Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers is partially 2.5d as well, and also Tigger's Honey Hunt is 2.5d.

As for 2d platformers, I think Yoshi's Story is pretty much it, unless the game is actually 2.5d. I think of it as 2d, but I'd guess it is probably actually made with flat polygons... I don't know exactly how to count it. 2d, probably.

In my opinion, GGA is the best of the bunch by a sizable margin. Kirby, Mischief Makers, and Tarzan would be following it, maybe in that order. Those other two are really easy (the latter for obvious reasons). As for Yoshi's Story, it's an okay game too.

Oh, in GGA, only the levels are 2.5d -- towns have depth (still side-view, but you can move in and out of the screen, not sure what you call that). But all actual levels are 2.5d.

I'm really surprised to see so much Kirby 64 hate. The game was overall very well-received and still is held in high regard. It's a little less well-known compared to other N64 platformers, especially for one published by Nintendo, but I'd chalk that up to how late of a release it was. Honestly, I'd rather play Kirby 64 than many of the bigger name platformers on N64. Like I just recently played Banjo-Kazooie for the first time (my first time with Kirby 64 was about two years ago, so I'm not going off of nostalgia before anyone suggests), and I definitely prefer Kirby 64. It's a bit too easy (but that's nothing unusual for a Kirby game) and it's a bit slower than some other Kirby titles (but it's comparable, if not faster, than many, many other platformers that are highly respected, like much of the Castlevania series), but other than those issues, I really can't come up with many complaints about it.
    Kirby 64 vs B-K? Hmm, I'm not sure... I'm weird, DK64 is my favorite of Rare's 3d platformers. That one I definitely like better than Kirby 64. The other three Rare N64 3d platformers are good too though, so maybe I'd put them above Kirby 64... I'm not certain though.

From what I've seen of it in action, Dream Land 3 looks like a really nice game too, but I can easily see how if someone disliked one, they'd dislike the other, considering that Kirby 64 is basically a re-envisioning of the game.
    Yeah, they really are quite similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47
    Ironically, nostalgia is what made me hate Kirby 64 so much. I was expecting it to match Kirby Super Star. It still boggles my mind that no other Kirby game has used the same powerup system as that (press a direction + attack to pull off a different move). Combining powerups is the only thing Kirby 64 has for it. Cutter + Bomb is seriously awesome.
    Yeah, probably similar for me... I was expecting it to be as good as Kirby 2, and be better than GGA too; I mean, it's a Nintendo platformer, and Kirby too! And it just wasn't even close to being either of those things. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600
    Paper Mario is neither a platformer nor 2.5d.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Paper Mario isn't a platformer. (Edit - Should've finished the thread first, someone beat me to it).

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Paper Mario isn't a platformer. (Edit - Should've finished the thread first, someone beat me to it).
    Also Yoshi's Story isn't 2.5D. It's straight 2D.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Also Yoshi's Story isn't 2.5D. It's straight 2D.
    Doesn't it have 3D models and all that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would consider Yoshi's Story as 2.5D. The characters and items are constructed of polygons and the camera perspective is typical of games that are considered 2.5D.

The level environments and such don't appear to be constructed of 3D polygons, but they often aren't in games that are widely considered as 2.5D platformers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xXClan KillerXx

I loved Kirbys Dreamland.. I don't play it much anymore but every once in awhile my 5 year old plays it.
    Follow me on twitter at
    http://twitter.com/OldSkoolGaming

Checkout my Youtube Videos of Reviews, Collections, and more at www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolbrian