Thread: Need help with mystery "CIRCUS CHABLIE" cartridge

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Need help with mystery "CIRCUS CHABLIE" cartridge

EDIT: Found out it was for the Famicom, and that the spelling error was like that by default. You can now delete/close this thread

Hello friends! This is not a "prototype" question per se, but I found this subforum the most fitting.

Me and a friend dug up some old NES games and stuff of his recently, and we found ourselves quite a little mystery!

He used to have an old black console that was likely a fake or something(He doesn't remember hos it looked unless he sees a picture of it) and I can tell you right now it did not look like the original NES. It could very well play NES games, if you used an adapter between the game and the console. Probably to "align the pins" on the cartridge, right?

Anyway, we found this old game we remembered playing on it. It's a Circus Charlie game, except this was kind of a fake one spelling "Circus Chablie" on the label. The weird thing about this yellow cartridge of mysteries though is that it's the size of like a SNES game, and it only has 22 pins under the cartridge unless I've miscounted it. It has no actual company branding on it or anything, and it's all very weird. Though my friend recall having an adapter that made it fit into the weird NES console.

We didn't find the "NES console" there, but it must be the one the game was played on, as they've never had any other consoles, and we used to play the game when we were kids.

Can anyone help us with this little mystery? Will provide pictures of the cartridge as soon as I am able to.
    Last edited by Jani; 07-30-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jani View Post
    EDIT: Found out it was for the Famicom, and that the spelling error was like that by default. You can now delete/close this thread

Hello friends! This is not a "prototype" question per se, but I found this subforum the most fitting.

Me and a friend dug up some old NES games and stuff of his recently, and we found ourselves quite a little mystery!

He used to have an old black console that was likely a fake or something(He doesn't remember hos it looked unless he sees a picture of it) and I can tell you right now it did not look like the original NES. It could very well play NES games, if you used an adapter between the game and the console. Probably to "align the pins" on the cartridge, right?

Anyway, we found this old game we remembered playing on it. It's a Circus Charlie game, except this was kind of a fake one spelling "Circus Chablie" on the label. The weird thing about this yellow cartridge of mysteries though is that it's the size of like a SNES game, and it only has 22 pins under the cartridge unless I've miscounted it. It has no actual company branding on it or anything, and it's all very weird. Though my friend recall having an adapter that made it fit into the weird NES console.

We didn't find the "NES console" there, but it must be the one the game was played on, as they've never had any other consoles, and we used to play the game when we were kids.

Can anyone help us with this little mystery? Will provide pictures of the cartridge as soon as I am able to.
    It's not that it's "For the Famicom". I mean Circus Charlie was originally on the Famicom but that's not the case. For some reason "Circus Chablie" with the "B" of course is a mispelling that pirates use. Both my Super Power Happy Fun Joy Joy III Power Player pirated Nintendo controller has it called that on it, and I have a 999-in-1 multicart with the same error. I have no idea why the Asian(?) pirates did that, I can only assume the original ROM had a typo in the name and them, probably not knowing too much English, left that as it was and now most pirate cartridges that have the game have that odd typo.

Also, if you look at the Circus Charlie title screen you'll find the "R" looks kind of like a "B". Someone who just transcribes the letters not knowing anything about English could make this mistake.

So yeah, you have a pirate Nintendo system and game(s) on your hands. Not a prototype or really anything special.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 07-31-2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!