Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does advertising really work?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Dante's Inferno had to match up against God of War 3 on the PS3. It didn't help that Dark Siders also came out around the same time.
    God of War 3 doesn't effect all the gamers who were exclusive to the 360. I understand that an overhyped game like God of War 3 might turn some heads, but this game didn't get the sales it deserved on either console. According to VGChartz, the PS3 version sold more in all regions.

As for Darksiders, the game isn't even comparable God of War 3. The game doesn't even hold a candle to Dante's Inferno. How the game is getting sequel surprises the hell out of me. Good thing you brought it up, because both versions of Darksiders happened to sell more than either version of Dante's Inferno, and I didn't even know about the game until the demo appeared on the PSN. So if it had an advertising budget, then it wasn't very big at all.

As for Dungeon Siege 3. It received a score of 72 and is a Diablo clone. Sacred 2 received 71, Sacred 74, Untold Legends 1 and 2 65 and 68, Champions of Norrath 85, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 87, Dark Alliance 2 77, and Return to Arms 77. Aside from Champion's of Norrath and Dark Alliance, and obviously the Diablo series, these games just don't get high ratings, no matter how good they are.

The only thing about Dungeon Siege 3, like these other titles, is that it's not a super high profile game. I can only go by the demo of Dungeon Siege 3, but it was an enjoyable game. It's something that if I went out and purchased it right now for $39.99, I wouldn't feel like I wiped my ass with the money and flushed it down the toilet which is exactly how I'd feel if I were to go and repurchase Final Fantasy 13 again.

I only mentioned Dante's Inferno and Dungeon Siege 3 because advertising for these two games were pushed more than any game this gen in my opinion.

Also, reviews don't really factor in as much as you'd think. Because a game that got decent advertising and good review scores is Brutal Legend. This game sucks balls in my opinion, yet the scores it received on Metacritic is 82(higher than most of those good Diablo clones I listed.) However. This game sold like crap. What? Decent advertising and a high Metacritic score and the game bombs? I thought Metacritic was like the bro code. Everyone on the internet lives by it.

*edit*

I think regardless of advertising, people pick and choose their favored games at random. One of my best friends favorite games are UT3 and Call of Duty, but dislikes games I've recommended him such as Borderlands, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Mirror's Edge, Uncharted 2, etc, etc. He dislikes Yakuza 3, but he likes garbage like Castle Crashers. He likes Champions of Norrath, Return to Arms, and the Untold Legend games, as do I, but he dislikes Sacred 2(which I happen to like more than the others.) It's like. Seriously. What the fuck. Do people just pick this shit out of a hat. Like I said he's one of my best friends, but when we hang out we rarely game together because he has such shitty tastes.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-03-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work in marketing. It works a treat. Even on people who think they're unaffected by it, it just kind of worms its way into your brain.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does it, of course it does, I mean how many times can you play the same game *cough* Pokemon*cough* and still enjoy it...damn you Nintendo! Especially when you can hum those annoying catching tunes in your head..in your sleep...ugh!
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by shopkins View Post
    I work in marketing. It works a treat. Even on people who think they're unaffected by it, it just kind of worms its way into your brain.
    Worms your way into your brain, this statement reminded me of commercial jingles especially. Red Robin, Gordon's Fisherman, Sloman's Shield, Folgers, those jingles where you can sing/say about half of it and the people around you chime in and finish the jingle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    God of War 3 doesn't effect all the gamers who were exclusive to the 360. I understand that an overhyped game like God of War 3 might turn some heads, but this game didn't get the sales it deserved on either console. According to VGChartz, the PS3 version sold more in all regions.
    The PS3 version sold more, because it has more content (Devine Edition for PS3) than the 360 game. The multi-console owners may have bought the PS3 version because of that.

As for Darksiders, the game isn't even comparable God of War 3. The game doesn't even hold a candle to Dante's Inferno. How the game is getting sequel surprises the hell out of me. Good thing you brought it up, because both versions of Darksiders happened to sell more than either version of Dante's Inferno, and I didn't even know about the game until the demo appeared on the PSN. So if it had an advertising budget, then it wasn't very big at all.
    Advertising for Darksiders was all over the internet and gaming magazines. It certainly had better looking boxart than DI, as well.

As for Dungeon Siege 3. It received a score of 72 and is a Diablo clone. Sacred 2 received 71, Sacred 74, Untold Legends 1 and 2 65 and 68, Champions of Norrath 85, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 87, Dark Alliance 2 77, and Return to Arms 77. Aside from Champion's of Norrath and Dark Alliance, and obviously the Diablo series, these games just don't get high ratings, no matter how good they are.

The only thing about Dungeon Siege 3, like these other titles, is that it's not a super high profile game. I can only go by the demo of Dungeon Siege 3, but it was an enjoyable game. It's something that if I went out and purchased it right now for $39.99, I wouldn't feel like I wiped my ass with the money and flushed it down the toilet which is exactly how I'd feel if I were to go and repurchase Final Fantasy 13 again.
    I've played Dungeon Siege on the PSP. It was just an average game. Hell, I enjoyed The Bard's Tale on the PS2 more than that PSP game.

I only mentioned Dante's Inferno and Dungeon Siege 3 because advertising for these two games were pushed more than any game this gen in my opinion.
    Yeah, Dante's Inferno received a ton of advertising, but I didn't exactly see the same for DS3. Retail seemed to make a push for DS3, but considering how large the release list was for that month, it makes sense.

Also, reviews don't really factor in as much as you'd think. Because a game that got decent advertising and good review scores is Brutal Legend. This game sucks balls in my opinion, yet the scores it received on Metacritic is 82(higher than most of those good Diablo clones I listed.) However. This game sold like crap. What? Decent advertising and a high Metacritic score and the game bombs? I thought Metacritic was like the bro code. Everyone on the internet lives by it.
    The reviews really didn't seem to paint a true picture of what that game was. I played the demo on the PS3, and thought that it would be a kick-ass game, but after reading the countless threads about it, the demo really didn't convey what most of the game really was, strategy. This was a case of the internet boards setting the record straight and no amount of advertising could sway that opinion. Yes, advertising works to a certain degree, but with the internet providing the information it does, advertising can only go so far.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

While Gamefaqs polls are usually just a myriad of votes, the most recent poll asks "what influences you the most in game buying." Advertising has the least votes.

For me. I'm one who might end up picking up a hyped game months or years after it's out and wanting to see what all the fuss is about(see God of War series,) but rarely does advertisement ever sell me on something.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=4422
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Advertising is targeted more generally. The fans get their own promotional strategy.

The goal of ads is to increase awareness of your group, project, brand, product or service. Once you are a supporter, it's preaching to the choir.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ the original question.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Advertising helps me become aware of a game, then I do further research to find out more on the game and if it still looks good I'll read some reviews and if most are good I'll buy it(or make a note to buy it at some point). I won't buy a game just because of advertising alone.

There are some games that weren't advertised well, not surprisingly I can't remember which ones at the moment but I kept forgetting about them until seeing them in person years later. Good advertising should market the game as if it's going to be a big deal, then people will remember about it long enough to look further into it.