Thread: Game Genie SNES Problems

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Genie SNES Problems

Hi,
    I Recently Bought a game genie for snes and it seems to only work with certain games i know it doesnt work for star fox super mario world 2 etc.
    I tried Street Fighter 2, Mario Paint, Super Mario All-Stars and when i try super mario 1 its doesnt even wanna boot it just goes to a black screen my version of the game genie is v1.0 it should boot super mario world 1 ive seen it done at a friends place a long time ago. been trying these last days to somehow to fix it but no go.
    Help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Game Genie can't work for star fox or other special games (megaman x2, mario rpg, etc). No extra cartridge pins.

Also it doesn't allow imports, if you're planning to get into that.
    Lum fan.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cartridge-based cheat devices are finicky about having dirt in them. Clean the contacts and see if that helps. If not, it's possible that certain code slots on your Game Genie are messed up.

Also, I don't get what people say about games with extra pins not working. Games like Star Fox, Vortex, and Yoshi's Island will boot with my Game Genie, but there are no codes for them. Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 08-02-2011 at 10:17 AM.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also it doesn't allow imports, if you're planning to get into that.
    Japanese SFC imports will work if you break the tabs. PAL games, however, don't work and instead require a device like the Pro Action Replay which has two cart slots (one is used for a domestic game to boot with)

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Cartridge-based cheat devices are finicky about having dirt in them. Clean the contacts and see if that helps. If not, it's possible that certain code slots on your Game Genie are messed up.
    Yeah, if the game boots to a blank screen, cleaning the cart contacts of the system, both ends of the Game Genie, and games thoroughly is the best bet. The extra connections these cheat devices add between the game and system make failures a lot more common.

Also, I don't get what people say about games with extra pins not working. Games like Star Fox, Vortex, and Yoshi's Island will boot with my Game Genie, but there are no codes for them. Am I missing something here?
    Are you sure Starfox boots? AFAIK, it doesn't on any SNES/GG combo. I don't know about Vortex. Yoshi's Island, however, is known to work with a 1/1/1 SNES and v1.0 Game Genie, and codes are available.

Certain SNES and Game Genie combinations don't work well together. A 2/1/3 (SNES mini, and likely late models of the first SNES) especially: no codes work on Game Genie v1.0, and only the first and last code lines work on Game Genie v2.0

You can confirm a compatibility issue by entering 5 codes, booting the game, and then pressing reset. If any of the lines on the code screen have a completely different code than what was typed originally, the problem exists with that SNES/GG combo.

To check the SNES CPU/PPU1/PPU2 version, use the BARRY cheat in The Lion King, or a FFMQ v1.0 cart. To check the Game Genie version, a 1.0 will have the dash already present in all 5 codes upon entering the code screen; the 2.0 doesn't add them until the first 4 digits of a code are typed.
    Last edited by JLukas; 08-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vortex is a Super-FX game, just like Stunt Race and Star Fox. Yes, I'm sure Star Fox boots. I'm using an SNES Jr. with Game Genie 2.0. According to The Lion King BARRY code:
    CPU: 2
    PPU1: 1
    PPU2: 3

Version 0.99 (though I'm not sure if this is my hardware or the version of The Lion King).

Unfortunately, only line 1 and 5 work.
    Last edited by BetaWolf47; 08-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Star Fox boots here, but no video is displayed and you can just hear the audio.

If you're getting video, you must have a later revision of the Game Genie that includes those side contacts to pass that information through to the system (Easy enough to see just by visually inspecting your Game Genie, they're clearly missing when I look at either end of mine). That's also why you can't easily find codes since they were useless to the vast majority of Game Genie owners, so few ever bothered to develop any I imagine (In fact I think you're the first person I've ever seen that claimed your Game Genie had those side contacts).

When this was introduced, it was before things like Super FX carts were being released and that expansion capability had gone unused so far, so they didn't increase their production cost to support something that might've never been used.

And I really doubt Yoshi's Island really works with the initial run of the Game Genie. Those contacts are missing so the moment the Super FX chip kicks in during something like a boss fight, it isn't going to work correctly.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-04-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I'm apparently mistaken. I just tried now and no video. Don't know what I was thinking earlier... sorry for that.