Thread: Video Game Channel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Video Game Channel

I had this though about a gaming only channel that geared toward New and Classic

Gamer Cribs - like MTV Cribs, but showing Gamers Set-up or there Retro Collection

Anymore Ideas??

I know Comcast has alot of Money with G4, But G4 is Garbage

I don't know about how does the Companies like DirecTV, Dish or At@t work adding new channels, Or even to get one started

Bring in like Celebs that plays game...How much does it cost to get it going??

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I only know one guy that claims to have a gamer cred - that guy from Law and Order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

They tried the gamers only concept with G4, originally it was all shows and programs heavily oriented with gaming in some way. They gradually shifted away from that because they weren't making any/enough money, until gaming becomes something even more mainstream then its become I don't think it can stand on its own.

I really don't think that a gamers only channel is a viable concept for television, maybe some sort of web channel thing but as a full blown TV channel I don't think their is enough of a market to support gaming only shows 24/7.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Maybe online Web Channel, Not on youtube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Maybe online Web Channel, Not on youtube
    That seems to be the way of future. Lots of free webcast sites such as Justin.TV and Ustream make it easier to start your own web channel.
    My Arcade Collection - http://www.ggdb.com/Collectors/ViewMember.aspx?mid=394
    Southern California Classic Collectors (SC3) - http://www.sc3videogames.com/
    3DS: 5370-0932-2395
    Wii U: SysOp Miiverse: The_MCP
    PSN: shertz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest problem with gaming coverage on television is that the people in charge of programming insist on recycling old, outdated content instead of having fresh content every day. They need to treat it more like a news network and less like a typical niche interest channel. There are some documentaries or shows that remain relevant, but they need to provide something fresh for the other 90% of the broadcast day, and I just don't think that's feasible.

Besides, a television channel about videogames has to be compelling enough to get gamers to stop playing videogames in order to watch shows about videogames.
    It's a pretty hard sell.

Podcasts or webcasts make a lot more sense, since you can consume them at your leisure, possibly in situations where actually playing games is not an option.

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm so glad Directv took that channel off their line up, G4 just simply sucks end of story. Someone on the internet will make a true video game channel/podcast/etc and hopefully a major company sees them and sponsors them somehow.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post
    I'm so glad Directv took that channel off their line up, G4 just simply sucks end of story. Someone on the internet will make a true video game channel/podcast/etc and hopefully a major company sees them and sponsors them somehow.
    Why are you glad it's gone? Do they charge you less for your TV subscription now, because they charge me the same amount, for less programming.

I use to like to watch Cheaters, Unbeatable Banzuke and Ninja Warrior in the morning while I exercised. I felt pretty blindsided when they removed the channel. I don't watch much television at all, but I enjoyed that morning block.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gatchaman17

Ah, another G4 sucks thread. How blissfully annoying. must run and get the popcorn

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Why are you glad it's gone? Do they charge you less for your TV subscription now, because they charge me the same amount, for less programming.

I use to like to watch Cheaters, Unbeatable Banzuke and Ninja Warrior in the morning while I exercised. I felt pretty blindsided when they removed the channel. I don't watch much television at all, but I enjoyed that morning block.
    Glad you did, I actually enjoyed the game and technology shows which ZDTV and Tech-TV were famous at the time for. Icons,X-Play,The Screen Savers, and even the early run of Attack Of The Show that's what made the channel memorable.

Ask for DirecTV, never had a problem with them, they offer a decent amount of programming for a decent price, just like everyone else in the market does, if I wanted more I would turn to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-El View Post
    Ah, another G4 sucks thread. How blissfully annoying. must run and get the popcorn
    No, it's really not, just my opinion of a channel that used to be about technology and gaming, which made it unique.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post

Unbeatable Banzuke was amazing, honestly. I loved that show and I wish I could find a place to actually watch it nowadays, it seems like it's disappeared!