Thread: Metal Gear Review (MSX)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear Review (MSX)

Almost every Metal Gear Solid game owes its roots to this classic. The game has codec calls, stealth action, boss fights, as well as a complicated storyline with twists and turn. Yes, even the famous cardboard box makes its debut in this game (and it’s goddamn useful). You might think with all the complexities in stealth action games today, it might become hard to believe that this game achieved “tactical stealth action” with such limited capacity. But, once you take your first step into the giant fortress infamously known as Outer Heaven, you’ll feel right at home just as if you were playing any other Metal Gear Solid game.

Full Review:
    GameBlurb: Metal Gear Review (MSX)
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am unfamiliar with the MSX. Was this game in English?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Rockies View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the MSX. Was this game in English?
    If you purchased Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence it was on the second disc as an extra.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad review. A bit on the short side, but not bad at all.

Will we ever get a modern remake of Metal Gear? It sure would be nice, perhaps with a few upgrades.

I've spoken with diehards who claim that Metal Gear Solid is a remake of Metal Gear. I have not played enough of the game to decide for myself.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    I've spoken with diehards who claim that Metal Gear Solid is a remake of Metal Gear.
    Those diehards aren't as die hard as you think.

@rest of thread.

The MSX was never released in America but thankfully now the game can be played on the second disk of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. To be honest, I played Solid first and when I went back to the original, I was kind of underwhelmed. It basically plays like a Zelda or Ys game with a modern military setting and, of course, a stealth element, though you could tell that it was very much an experimental game and they hadn't worked out all the kinks yet. For example there's a lot of areas where you will be IMMEDIATELY spotted the minute you walk onto a new screen, unless you go into them wearing the box and stop IMMEDIATELY when the screen transitions. Fortunately, if you trigger an alert all you have to do is kill enough dudes and the alert will end. Sometimes its better to just run and gun.

Another neat fact: Soldiers can only see within their direct line of sight. This means that if you're even a little off to the side, they can't see you even if you're standing in the open and they're looking in your general direction.

It's a fun game, and it's worth playing if you're a fan of the series, and its a LOT better than the NES version (for one thing, the "enemy respawns when you use binoculars" glitch doesn't happen on the MSX, and there are no jungle mazes). But really, its the second game Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake where the series starts getting really good.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, so the original MSX version is in Japanese, but the one on the MGS3 Substistence disc is in English, correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Do you really think they'd put a Japanese version on a U.S. release?

Insert Coin (Level 0) shinobimusashi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish they would have ported the MSX Metal Gear games to the Genesis. The lackluster NES port was one of the best selling games for the system. I wonder why they never bothered with a port for the 16 bit consoles. There aren't any games like Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 on the Genesis or Snes, thats for sure.

Does anybody think we will ever see a modern console/handheld remake of the first two Metal Gear games?

Doesn't seem likely. It's a shame too. The two MSX games were indeed crucial to the storyline, perhaps they could even elaborate on the story a bit, with a little twist(ala Night of the Living Dead 1990 remake). Plus we would be playing with good ole "Young" Snake, as opposed to Raiden, "Naked" Snake/Big Boss, or the grumpy, moaning, "Old" Snake. Something we fans of the series haven't been able to do since MGS. I think they could have remade the games on the PSP, or even the Gamecube instead of the MGS remake. It was just too soon for a Metal Gear Solid remake.
    Last edited by shinobimusashi; 08-04-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Do you really think they'd put a Japanese version on a U.S. release?
    I still dont know thats why I asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. It's a retranslation. They didn't use the old now-expensive PAL version Metal Gear 1 MSX.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinobimusashi View Post
    I wish they would have ported the MSX Metal Gear games to the Genesis. The lackluster NES port was one of the best selling games for the system. I wonder why they never bothered with a port for the 16 bit consoles. There aren't any games like Metal Gear/Metal Gear 2 on the Genesis or Snes, thats for sure.
    Yeah, those two games seemed like they'd be right at home on the Genesis.

Does anybody think we will ever see a modern console/handheld remake of the first two Metal Gear games?
    Hideo Kojima has said he has no plans, but "if someone else wants to do it, that's fine."

Though personally, I rather agree with a certain Snake Soup article. The later games were made with the MSX Metal Gears in mind, and unless the games were straight remakes (IE same areas and dialogue, just all in 3D) then a remake would probably cause more kerfluffles than they solve.

But considering the PSP games pretty much already destroy the canon (Outer Haven is off of Costa Rica now? What?) that may not matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Rockies View Post
    I still dont know thats why I asked.
    Yes, its in English.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 08-04-2011 at 10:48 PM.