Thread: Who has original comic art?

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Default Who has original comic art?

Pages, commissions, doodles, autographs, whatever.

I know Mayhem, Buyatari, Felixthegamer, and myself own a bunch and I was wondering if anybody else did too.

Show 'em if you got 'em.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

I do have a couple of pages of original art. They were from the Marvel New Universe book D.P.7, strangely enough. I bought them in the early '90s from the artist since I was a fan of the comic (really!). I don't have pictures of them or anything, they're sitting in storage somewhere along with the rest of my comic collection that I eventually gave up on in the mid-'90s.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I own a page of production art from the back cover of the Fun with Milk & Cheese collection graphic novel custom signed by Evan Dorkin and an animated style Mr. Freeze drawing done for me by Bruce Timm.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic

I've got page 12 to Red Sonja #14 (1978), an uninked but finished page from a Speed Racer comic, and a layout sketch Rob Liefeld drew with Todd McFarlane for a comic book art video in the early 90s.

Unsurprisingly I have a fair bit:

Second Life of Dr. Mirage #10 Page 11
    Shadowman V.1 #11 Page x (Bob Hall)
    Shadowman V.1 #28 Page 6 (Bob Hall)
    Shadowman V.1 #38 Page 24 (Bob Hall)
    Shadowman V.3#4 Page 7
    Shadowman V.3#4 Page 12
    Shadowman V.3#4 Page 16
    Solar Man of the Atom: Hell on Earth #3 Page 15
    Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom #6 Page 2 (preliminary, Sprouse, autographed)
    Transmetropolitan #4 Page 21 (Robertson, autographed)
    Solar: Man of the Atom #20 Page 10 (original watercolors - autographed by colorists)
    Solar: Man of the Atom #21 Page 6 (original watercolors - autographed by colorists)

I also have an original sketch of Vash the Stampede from Yashihiro Nightow...but I'm not sure if that counts as comic art or anime art :P

Here's pics:

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

And the rest:

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Come to think of it, I also have a piece of my own art that Kim DeMulder inked when he was my teacher at the Kubert School.

And, I own the printing/production cover color separation gels for two of the issues of The Manga Spider Man that I layed out/colored when I worked for Marvel.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

How are you guys displaying these? Mine are all shoved together into a few of those plastic sheet holder things and that's really not a good idea. I thought about framing them but I went to Michael's and they charge around $50 for a 9x12 frame (the smallest size I have), and that was with a half-off sale. Way out of my budget, unfortunately.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Of The Felines View Post
    How are you guys displaying these? Mine are all shoved together into a few of those plastic sheet holder things and that's really not a good idea. I thought about framing them but I went to Michael's and they charge around $50 for a 9x12 frame (the smallest size I have), and that was with a half-off sale. Way out of my budget, unfortunately.
    I had the Timm and Dorkin pieces framed (standard inexpensive off-the-shelf frames, nothing fancy) and hanging before I moved, now they're loose and stored in folder in my closet.

My own work is in my professional portfolio ... not that I'm planning on doing any work in comics in the near future.

I bought a hard plastic professional art display book for about $80 or $90. Comes with a bunch of acid free pages with sleeves to slide em into. I can't afford to frame em right now...about $150+ each per page for professional framing.

Pretzel (Level 4)

The only original comics art I have is my own.
    Dude, they should have seriously put Kissinger and Nixon in their own reality/sit-com show. It would be like the odd couple.

Nixon: Is that chairman Mao on the phone?
    Kissinger: Yes, but you can't speak to him, you're too drunk right now.

I have several pages and many commissions. I've slowed down the last few years though. Here's one that I commissioned John Byrne to do in August of 2006. It is 20X30

Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Felixthegamer View Post
    I have several pages and many commissions. I've slowed down the last few years though. Here's one that I commissioned John Byrne to do in August of 2006. It is 20X30

Would it be inappropriate to ask how much Mr. Byrne charged for his work?

I'm a fan of his (and I studied under Kim Demulder who did a lot of inks over John's pencils) so I won't judge if it's a large figure.

ServBot (Level 11) SpasticFuctard's Avatar

I have a signed The Tick ashcan?

I would imagine that's a $500-750 piece for sure.

VERY nice....I love Byrne! Was a big fan of Next Men (which is apparently coming back???)!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar

I have only one, but it's very special. My favorite comic book character is Sleepwalker. Yes, Marvel's Sleepwalker. Don't know why, but this guy just "clicked" with me. Anyway, without going into a whole lot of backstory, I have a page from issue 7 or 8 -- when he first meets and fights 8-Ball.

It ain't Spidey or Bats or any of the heavy hitters in Comic-dom, but I am THRILLED to have this page on my wall.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar

I don't have any comic book original comic art but I have a couple of ones for anime. I managed to obtain sketches from both Shoji Kawamori and Haruhiko Mikimoto from different anime shows they appeared at. Kawamori did a sketch for me of a Super Deformed Valkyrie and Mikimoto did a Minmay sketch wearing a beret. I need to find where those sketches are, get off my duff, and get those things framed.

In regards to original comic art, I've been on the hunt for the JLA/Avengers hardcover for a few years now. The hardcover includes pages from the original proposed crossover that was supposed to happen in the 80's but fell through. I've seen a few pages here and there but I've wanted to own the HC so I could see all of the pages.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Max - nice Transmet and Tom Strong pages!

I've got between 30-40 pieces in my collection, on last count. Primarily Transformers art (from the Marvel run) including four covers, as well as a few Preacher and Sam & Max pages, and some covers from my favorite indie artists. Much of my collection can be seen here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=2075

For those of you who are PC gamers, I have the original design sketch for the Sam & Max Hit The Road PC box by Steve Purcell in there, too.

Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Most of the art I owned had to go to pay for videogame purchases. Some of it is still here including these.

Sergio Aragones is awesome. Here are a few pieces from MAD books that he illustrated. Also some letters he wrote to the editor at MAD.

Not much art here. This is the cover for Superman #100

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I have some. Apparently a far cousin of mine used to be an inker. I think his name is Sal Regla.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar

Well I can be added to the list so long as sketches count. I was at the Cincinnati Comic Expo today and commissioned a piece from my favorite comic book artist who was in attendance, a Mr. George Perez. Here's the sketch he did for me (apologies for any size issues)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	5736

The Huntress has long been one of my favorite characters, right up there with Superman and Batman, and I've always loved George's rendition of her from the Crisis on Infinite Earth maxi-series back in 1985/86. In fact, the first comic book I ever got was drawn by George Perez, an issue of New Teen Titans that had them crossing over with Batman and the Outsiders. I've been a devout fan of the man's work ever since.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheDoctah's Avatar

I have a bunch of recent CGC graded "Blank" issues (made specifically for conventions for artists to draw on) Ill post pics later tonight.

Key (Level 9)

I have some aragones as well

Chaos Knight
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Sergio is awesome, met him a few times, although that's partly because I'm friends with Stan Sakai

When the thread was originally started, I hadn't joined up to CAF, but now since I have, I guess I can drop a link to my galleries...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=43641