Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found a rare game variant I really want, but I don't know how to acquire it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I found a rare game variant I really want, but I don't know how to acquire it.

In late August of 2001, Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro was released. After 9/11, the game was recalled and re-released in late October of 2001 with changes made to the game regarding scenery, level names, and dialogue due to the sensitivity of the World Trade Centers attack.

I want an original copy of that game, but there's no actual way to tell which version the game is without either looking at the disk on a computer (File names) or actually playing the game and looking for differences.

Aside from buying all the copies of the game I can find, I don't know how I could go about acquiring it. (I've looked around, but due to its unmarked nature, I'm not finding copies for sale anywhere.) Any tips?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, it'll be easy since it's disc only and didn't reach the retail market. Only those who know what they have would have it for sale. Just keep poking around collector web-sites, you'll find one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It did reach the retail market, though. It was sold for a couple months before the recall. That's why it's so difficult. It's in circulation, it's just uncommon and unmarked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No, no...it never made it to retail. The game was literally on the assembly line - complete discs and all - when Activision pulled it from the assembly line.

If I may, from IGN's original posting - Bolded Text is for dramatic effect:

"Activision announced today that it would delay Spider-Man 2 Enter: Electro for the PlayStation.

In the attempt to show respect and to be sensitive to the victims and the families of the victims in the World Trade Center attacks, Activision has decided to alter a few scenes in Spider-Man 2, which takes place in Spider-Man's home town of Manhattan, NY. The game's climax takes place on a skyscraper that loosely resembles the WTC. Activision's president and COO made the announcement.

"Out of respect for the victims, their families and our fellow citizens, we will be postponing the launch and making minor changes to the game," said Doornink. "While the buildings in Spider-Man 2 Enter: Electro act only as a background environment and do not explode or collapse, Activision is being extremely cautious about any images in our game that might be mistaken for the Twin Towers. We expect to ship the game well in time for this holiday season. Additionally, the delay of the game will have no material impact on our business."

Activision didn't announce a new release of it. The game has been rated "E" for Everyone (ages six and older) by the ESRB. Activision's X-Men Mutant Academy 2 is still scheduled for release this week on PlayStation."

The only discs that made it to the public were from people yanking it off the assembly line before the discs were destroyed. It's only "complete" if you place the 9/11 disc in a reformatted case.

Now, Syphon Filter 3's "9/11" version got as far as warehouses and some employees via employee purchases. That was as close as it got. Any copies in the public were copies hoisted from the warehouses and employees.

Trust me on this, I own both.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the extremely informative post. That's quite disheartening. I was both excited for the thrill of the hunt and under the impression that it would be affordable. I was going by the wikipedia article, that states that it was recalled and re-released, and also listed the release dates of the original version and the new version.

That's awesome that you have both Syphon Filter and Spider-Man 2's pre-edit versions. How did you acquire them? Hunting them down? Ebay? Please tell me more.

Like I said, I did some googling and searching around and couldn't really find a lot of activity regarding the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Both were by 100% complete accident, actually. The Spider-Man was just on my wanted list that'd I'd post every month. Was lucky enough to have a fellow collector have it and sell it to me, as he'd know it was going to a good home and would be taken care of.

The SF3 one was, in complete honesty - a fluke and half. A mom and pop store I worked at for years, and then left to go work at GameShark in Maryland, and then came back to to shop and say hi was having a B2G1 sale on DVDs. Talking with the owner / my former boss and friend, I brought up the SF3 in conversation as one of my pet peeves in trying to find. When he heard the name, he mentioned a customer had traded in one. Sure enough, $14.95 on the shelf right behind me.

Turns out the customer who traded it in was a Sony Warehouse employee. At the time (and this was *years ago*) the warehouse workers could make purchases from the actual warehouse somehow. The person who bought it was getting out of gaming, so he had sold off all his stuff to the mom and pop store. The rest is history.

I have full articles (that need to be updated with better images) at my site at game-rave.com or you can click directly below:

Spider-Man
    http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playsta...an3/index.html

SF3
    http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playsta...r_3/index.html

If you ever try to hunt down the SF3 - be aware that there are incomplete copies being sold. The "full" game has a double jewel case, the front / back inserts, the guide / manual, and matching art on disc and manual.

^_^
    Jason

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on SF3. That's really cool that your article on Spider-Man 2 was actually one of the websites I used to read up on it when I first learned about it. I guess I'll have to just start checking around online for it and hope I find it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Patience is your best weapon. I'm going on almost 10 years collecting PSX (holy shit...) and I'm still not done, and that's with variants, demos, et all.

If it helps with perspective, when I was hunting down the 8 Alundra variants, I emailed *every* *single* ebay auction that didn't have all the contents shown, and I did that every two weeks for two months. Just be calmly persistent, and anything you ever want will make itself known.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know how rare or how many copies of the Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (pre 9/11) version are out in the wild? I recently aquired one and was curious.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Thats impossible to know. We don't know how many were even produced before they were pulled. I'm sure there are a bunch out there that people don't even know are the WTC version of the game. Known copies are only a few however.

If you're interested in selling, i'm interested in buying.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Thats impossible to know. We don't know how many were even produced before they were pulled. I'm sure there are a bunch out there that people don't even know are the WTC version of the game. Known copies are only a few however.

If you're interested in selling, i'm interested in buying.
    I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I didn't know if this version was common, it sounds like it isn't. Thanks for the reponse PapaStu. I will let you know if I ever decide to sell it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You'd be better off contacting DB through his website.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by TOE-NEE View Post
    I figured as much but wanted to be sure. I didn't know if this version was common, it sounds like it isn't. Thanks for the reponse PapaStu. I will let you know if I ever decide to sell it.
    Works for me. You know where to find me and I pay in gooooooold. Well not really, but I can always make sure I can put out an offer on it should you want to sell.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheDoctah's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you have like $2000 theres a guy who was offering his WTC Spiderman 2 on playstation collecting...

The changes are so minimal I really dont know why they pulled the game to do this to begin with. All they did was like fill in the gap between 2 buildings to make it seem like one building...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctah View Post
    if you have like $2000 theres a guy who was offering his WTC Spiderman 2 on playstation collecting...

The changes are so minimal I really dont know why they pulled the game to do this to begin with. All they did was like fill in the gap between 2 buildings to make it seem like one building...
    They did a little bit more than that but I get what your saying. It's still a cool thing to have In my opinion.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im curious if the Japanese release of Spiderman 2 contains the original WTC version....doubtful, but it just might.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Unlikely as it was released a year after the US and EU versions, according to GameFAQs.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Playstation Spider-man 2 enter electro extremely rare pre sept 11 variant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSlyder View Post
    In late August of 2001, Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro was released. After 9/11, the game was recalled and re-released in late October of 2001 with changes made to the game regarding scenery, level names, and dialogue due to the sensitivity of the World Trade Centers attack.

I want an original copy of that game, but there's no actual way to tell which version the game is without either looking at the disk on a computer (File names) or actually playing the game and looking for differences.

Aside from buying all the copies of the game I can find, I don't know how I could go about acquiring it. (I've looked around, but due to its unmarked nature, I'm not finding copies for sale anywhere.) Any tips?

I know this is an old thread , however in researching this matter online this is the most recent conversation about this incredibly rare game variant so hoping true collectors still read here.

I just so happen to have a copy of the Pre sept 11 spiderman-2 enter electro game. i have had in my collection for the past 12+ yrs. some stores including one i worked for were given full copies of the game to play in their demo kiosks to encourage preorders before the street date the game would be sold. I got to keep that copy before all hell broke loose with the (9/11 attacks and the game was pushed back to make the changes . from what i have heard there now are possibly less then 100 known versions of the pre 911 game out there so they are extremely rare. needless to say its the price of my collection...i have been holding onto it. but now times are tough and could really use the extra money so for the right price... and it would not be cheap
    ( figure one was going for almost 3000.00 on ebay back in o7) and its 6 yrs later and even more rare now) i would be willing to sell for the right price. i figure try my luck here before resorting to ebay. this is legit and i can picture or vid verify if necessary. the disk is in flawless condition. And as of the time of positing this i see none for sell on the whole web....so. with that said...

any legitimate offers? :-)

money only.. no trade

real collectors with money only please. don't waste my time...

thank you.
    Last edited by SilverstreakUSA; 07-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Yeeha, Jester's Dead! RhetroAktive's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    RhetroAktive

One sold on Ebay last year for a little over $100.00

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RhetroAktive View Post
    One sold on Ebay last year for a little over $100.00
    thats ridiculous the seller got gipped then i seen ones go for more then 10 times that
    Last edited by SilverstreakUSA; 07-12-2013 at 10:29 PM.