Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 years this month SNES has been out in US markets

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 20 years this month SNES has been out in US markets

Wow, it has snuck up like a thief in the night. This month marks 20 years since the Super Nintendo launched in the US. Some argue release date between August 13, August 23 and September 9 (1991) but generally accepted SNES was available in quite a few markets August 1991.

Today it's August 2011.

That means 20 years Nintendo's 16-bit wonder has been kicking around here in the States.

Feel free to post anything SNES that comes to your mind, whether it's a tribute, memory recall, etc.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lean towards 9/9 only to say three major consoles were released in the states during the '90s on that date. Anyway, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz...layer_embedded

(via GameSetWatch)
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Wow it fells like yesterday that I got the system in 3rd grade, the same day as open house at school and I really really didn't want to go. The SNES still remains my absolute favorite console, and no other system since has come close to matching it's overall quality.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post

I liked the mom's comment at around 1:29, lol. "I'm gonna say no, and explain to my son how people market things to make you spend more money."

While generally true, in SNES' case, for me at least, it was the best investment of my gaming career/hobby. Loved it 20 years ago, love it just as much today, if not more. Probably will still love it 20 years from today too, God willing (gosh, when the system celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2031). That ain't just marketing... that's a once-in-a-generation system, full of countless games that are irrepressibly good and so many rich gaming memories.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I lean towards 9/9 only to say three major consoles were released in the states during the '90s on that date. Anyway, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz...layer_embedded

(via GameSetWatch)
    Crazy video - shows the bloody end of SMW, what a spoiler!

I unfortunately didn't get a Super until the end of the decade when I was given one by a friend who somehow had a spare unit lying around without use. That doesn't mean I didn't have access to one, I remember fondly going over to a buddy of mines and spending many hours on Mario Kart and in general gatherings engaging in SMW 2 player. I had an NES until 1992 and in 1993 got a Genesis which lasted me a long while.

I'd say it's only in the years after 1999 that I began to get Super games such as A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy 3, and Star Fox (my friend initially gave me the system also gave copies of Lagoon, NHL 94, and Ghoul Patrol [which was and still is a great game]) and nowadays I look back fondly what with the resurrgence in popularity thanks to DIY reproductions/fan translations.

Outstanding system all the same.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I lean towards 9/9 only to say three major consoles were released in the states during the '90s on that date.
    I know it came out closer to the end of August. But I know it bought it in August. I walked into Software Ect. and they just got them in that day.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Limited Gameplay's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember Nintendo Power was having a contest where three winners would be picked from a drawing and shipped out to Nintendo HQ to be the first people to own a SNES. Knowing that I entered the contest, my sister typed up a message and envelope on the typewriter and said something came in the mail for me. It said I won a SNES and I figuratively soiled myself.

After a while I started to realize the paper was typed on the same watermarked paper we had in our office desk and quickly my excitement was gone and I cried myself to sleep (okay, not really). After all that the SNES still managed to be my favorite console of all time.

Go go Super Nintendo!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It wasn't August 23. That's my birthday and I definitely would have remembered if it was launched on my birthday.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do you encapsulate 20 years of fun and amazing memories into one post? Mine is still kickin' and has never given me one error. Nintendo sure did learn from past hardware mistakes.

Other than the yellowish tinge most of them turn thanks to substandard foreign plastics lol.

I recently bought two broken SNES machines for 5 bucks apiece, convinced that due to the description of the errors, they were fixable. One had a blown mobo, but the other worked without any repair required and I've used it to play through FF6 and a few other RPGs without a single hiccup. The best part? Squeaky clean, brand new looking plastic without one single blemish. I love that thing. It's not my original SNES but it's so new looking.

My original SNES is saturated in yellow Though it's my original and I'll always treasure it. It was bought from a store that was selling them in Canada before they were released here. For a kid to receive that, that was the end all be all.

SNES forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, has it really been this long? This makes me think of my dad. Come december I will have had mine for 20 years. I'm going to play through SMW again on christmas to celebrate.

Insert Coin (Level 0) riderpool's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    riderkidDA
    PSN
    riderkid98

so between genesis, metroid, zelda, SNES and me august is the month of awesome...metla!
    I believe in a thing called DIVORCE

www.riderkid.deviantart.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I could only keep (and collect for) one system, it would be SNES.

I remember when I was at Target sometime after it was released, they had a small TV set up on the camera kiosk's display case with Super Mario World playing. I begged and begged my father, promised to do chores to 'earn it off'. Finally, he acquiesced.

To this day I still owe him $215.49

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    Mine is still kickin' and has never given me one error. Nintendo sure did learn from past hardware mistakes.
    Ditto that. My SNES is still running like a champ after 20 years and I've received equal that amount of years in enjoyment from it. I also clipped the regional blocks (or whatever you want to call them) a couple of years back and started to import amazing games that made the system seem fresh again.

That said, I don't know how many Massachusetts members are currently using this forum but I also remember playing Super Mario World and the wow factor of seeing Yoshi for the very first time while playing a kiosk setup in the old Natick Mall. Jesus that makes me feel old.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

I will always remember the day I got my SNES. It was August 25 (and I will always know that since it's written on the yellow Nintendo repair sticker on my original SNES box!), a Sunday, and I saw the ad in Toys R Us for it and wasn't expecting it already in stores. I jumped on my bike, went on over and saw it in all its' beauty behind the glass case I grabbed my ticket, paid for it, heard the ever familiar "customer service at the pick up booth please" over the speakers and the guy came over. He's all like "What this new style Neen-tendo thing here?" and I'm like "Just give me it damn it!!" lol I finally got home, hooked up, and have loved it ever since.

Though my SNES is yellowed and has some audio issues from the left speaker, I still love it to this day and wish it an early happy birthday thanks to this thread
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    I will always remember the day I got my SNES. It was August 25 (and I will always know that since it's written on the yellow Nintendo repair sticker on my original SNES box!), a Sunday, and I saw the ad in Toys R Us for it and wasn't expecting it already in stores. I jumped on my bike, went on over and saw it in all its' beauty behind the glass case I grabbed my ticket, paid for it, heard the ever familiar "customer service at the pick up booth please" over the speakers and the guy came over. He's all like "What this new style Neen-tendo thing here?" and I'm like "Just give me it damn it!!" lol I finally got home, hooked up, and have loved it ever since.

Though my SNES is yellowed and has some audio issues from the left speaker, I still love it to this day and wish it an early happy birthday thanks to this thread

lol, nicely described. totally remember the Toys R Us "scene" as well. perfectly stated. tickets, glass booths, and PA voices, heh. Those days seem so golden...

Brand new URL!

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    lol, nicely described. totally remember the Toys R Us "scene" as well. perfectly stated. tickets, glass booths, and PA voices, heh. Those days seem so golden...
    Yeah, grabbing those yellow pricing stickers and having a clerk dig thought the Toys R Us' back room to find your game was so much cooler than just walking up and grabbing the game (although nostalgia may be getting the best of me, ha ha).
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    How do you encapsulate 20 years of fun and amazing memories into one post? Mine is still kickin' and has never given me one error. Nintendo sure did learn from past hardware mistakes.

Other than the yellowish tinge most of them turn thanks to substandard foreign plastics lol.
    I'm no chemistry expert, but doesn't the yellowish tinge come from smoking? Non smokers generally don't have the yellowing system. Mine is still the original color. Never smoked a day in my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been a happy Super Nintendo owner for 16 years now. Hard to believe that's possible.

Seemed like the thing had been out for many years by the time I owned one, but I've been there for the vast majority of its life now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    I'm no chemistry expert, but doesn't the yellowish tinge come from smoking? Non smokers generally don't have the yellowing system. Mine is still the original color. Never smoked a day in my life.
    Nope, it's a chemical reaction due to the fire retardant used (Just like most every classic computer). And thanks to developments in recent years, it can be successfully reversed these days.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    No, it's the plastic that Nintendo used -- it's a known issue. Later SNES consoles were made from a different and higher quality plastic, though some were produced with only some of the shell made from the non-yellowing plastic, while other parts were made from the old stuff. I have one system that has some yellowing only around the fittings surrounding the controller ports. I've have another that has a yellow top and an original coloured bottom, and I've seen ones that have the opposite going on.

Again, it's a known issue with the plastics that were used. I've also never smoked or had a smoker in my house (at least not since my dad moved out which was several years before the SNES was released), but my consoles have also fallen victim to the yellowing plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Astrosmash DWB

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I've been a happy Super Nintendo owner for 16 years now. Hard to believe that's possible.

Seemed like the thing had been out for many years by the time I owned one, but I've been there for the vast majority of its life now.
    Same here. I was a bit of a latecomer to it too; got mine in '94, around the time that Final Fantasy III came out. It was the "Super Mario Set" (the one that came with the Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World cart). Lots of good times with it, and despite being a bit yellow it still works great. Lots of good times with it, both on my own and with friends.

Somewhat amusingly, even though I was a "Super Nintendo kid," I actually now have more Genesis games, but that's probably just due to them being somewhat cheaper and more plentiful around here out in the wild these days.

Still, here's to 20 years of "playing with power... SUPER power!" Now I just have to find time to put new batteries in my ActRaiser and Kirby Super Star carts...
    Dan B.