Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $14,000 NES on the show "Storage Wars".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default $14,000 NES on the show "Storage Wars".

I haven't posted here in over a year, but I saw this on the show "Storage Wars" the other day, and I just had to come here and make a topic about it. For those not familiar with the show, it's where a bunch of pickers bid on storage units that have owners that failed to pay the rent on time and lost ownership of all their stored items. If they win the bidding, all the stuff in the storage unit belongs to them, and they try to resell everything for a profit.

So I was watching an episode yesterday, and this guy finds a dirty looking NES system in the storage unit he won the bidding on. He calls his partner over and is like, "Look! It's a model-001!! These things go for $14,000 on the internet! This is it! This is the big one everybody wants!"

I just busted up laughing at what an idiot this guy was (unless his ignorance was just part of the show). So he took it to an "expert", some guy who was working at a game store who than told him it wasn't worth near that much (obviously). He plugged it in to test it and it wouldn't even power on. The guy who found it than said that definitely saw one sell on Ebay for $14,000, and the game clerk told him it must have been a "special" NES like a first production run system that was never opened. I couldn't even imagine one of those fetching $1,000, let alone $14,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

our economy is in such tatters, that we celebrate garbage pickers by giving them televisions shows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    our economy is in such tatters, that we celebrate garbage pickers by giving them televisions shows
    This.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I just busted up laughing at what an idiot this guy was (unless his ignorance was just part of the show). So he took it to an "expert", some guy who was working at a game store who than told him it wasn't worth near that much (obviously). He plugged it in to test it and it wouldn't even power on. The guy who found it than said that definitely saw one sell on Ebay for $14,000, and the game clerk told him it must have been a "special" NES like a first production run system that was never opened. I couldn't even imagine one of those fetching $1,000, let alone $14,000.
    I think they were referencing the NES console that sold with SE for around $14k maybe a year ago? The way it was listed, it could have appeared that a normal system bundle sold for that amount. Only the collectors would realize the CIB SE was virtually all of the price.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say it's better celebrating frugality and turning junk into treasure than a show about obnoxious, vain rich kids who do nothing but tan, party, fight, and fuck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll admit it, I love those auction shows, and I saw that episode. The guy actually said it was worth $13,000 (not $14,000) in the episode which was a definitely clue that he was referencing the Stadium Events auction. And as someone said above me, he thought that auction was for the system not the game. Thankfully at the end the "expert" told him that at most it was worth $10.

And I thought the guys are American Pickers were bad when they claimed a boxed 2600 (4 switcher) was worth $250.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    xXClan KillerXx

I watch those shows.. Sometime they don't know what the hell they are talking about.. I watched one show and they opened a box and on the top there were boxed nes games and they didn't even bother to look through it..
    Follow me on twitter at
    http://twitter.com/OldSkoolGaming

Checkout my Youtube Videos of Reviews, Collections, and more at www.youtube.com/user/oldskoolbrian

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by soloman View Post
    I'd say it's better celebrating frugality and turning junk into treasure than a show about obnoxious, vain rich kids who do nothing but tan, party, fight, and fuck.
    Seriously!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    And I thought the guys are American Pickers were bad when they claimed a boxed 2600 (4 switcher) was worth $250.
    I don't recall the American Pickers guys ever coming across a 2600, but there was an episode of Auction Kings (another storage lot show) where that happened and they called it at that price.

Regardless of the accuracy of any of the prices cited, I love all of these shows and I can't get enough of them when they're good.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I don't recall the American Pickers guys ever coming across a 2600, but there was an episode of Auction Kings (another storage lot show) where that happened and they called it at that price.

Regardless of the accuracy of any of the prices cited, I love all of these shows and I can't get enough of them when they're good.
    You're right, it was definitely a storage lot show. Now that I've looked it up I'm sure it was Auction Hunters, the show on Spike. I believe Auction Kings is about an auction house.....and yeah, I also can't get enough of these shows.

I wonder how many people watch these shows, see the ridiculous video game "appraisals" and think they're sitting on a gold mine in the attic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Ro-J View Post
    You're right, it was definitely a storage lot show. Now that I've looked it up I'm sure it was Auction Hunters, the show on Spike. I believe Auction Kings is about an auction house.....and yeah, I also can't get enough of these shows.

I wonder how many people watch these shows, see the ridiculous video game "appraisals" and think they're sitting on a gold mine in the attic?
    Right right: Auction HUNTERS.

So damned many of them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It's people like them that make finding cheap games in the wild much more difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I actually really like Storage Wars. Captures the thrill of the hunt well. Dumb mistake about an NES or not, these guys know more about appraising things than any of us. We just have our one, tiny specific niche. These guys need to be fairly savvy about the whole gamut of items. Show any of us a piece of furniture, jewelry, art, clothing, an appliance, etc. and good luck with knowing its value. They could just as well say that something else on the show is worth $13,000 that's really worth $20 and all of us would say "Wow, great find", while on some other forum there's a bunch of people going "lol, I can't believe they're that stupid." The important part is that the mistake is corrected on the show, so we don't have the masses thinking their old video game systems are worth thousands. Like how Pawn Stars made people think the Virtual Boy is worth more than it is (although that's not remotely as extreme of an example). Although there was an episode of Storage Wars where they said a boxed SNES was worth $200 and then never another word on it. But who knows, maybe they really could get $200 for it in their shop from some sucker.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

One time I posted an ad on craigslist saying I would take any broken NES systems for $10 so I could repair them and sell them for $20 just like the local store does, and some dummy said "those are worth way more than that, go scam elsewhere" I'm assuming it was because of that Stadium Events auction. I replied back correcting him saying "if you know anything about game collecting, you should know that the local store sells NES systems for $20 and the Stadium Events game is what was worth $13,000." He never replied back again as I'm sure he had nothing else to say. When people learn they are wrong they tend to be embarassed, shut up and go away.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You would think that if you were so excited about finding one of them, you would have done research on that auction, or even checked eBay.

I love that the guy that came to the store just to show that the guy was wrong was right. The look on his face was priceless.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Storage Wars is one of the worst shows to ever grace television. It's so staged and way too dramatic.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once saw on Antiques Roadshow someone claiming an Atari 7800 was worth around 400 bucks, and games could run you 100-150 dolllars since it's such a collector's item, and so old and rare.

And don't get me started on Pawn Stars.

All of these shows are ridiculously full of shit and ignorant. But no one cares, because the sheep continue to watch. They've been caught lying and deceiving their viewers, yet people continue to watch. Why? It's all entertainment, and that's the cop out excuse. It's all real, and portrayed as such and they've gotten snippy when questioned....yet when they're caught spinning their web of horse shit, suddenly it's just all entertainment and we need to relax. Uh huh, right.

My GF works at a storage facility and routinely auctions off the junk sitting in storage. She has never once come across anything worth even a 10th of that. People aren't stupid enough to consistently leave expensive, rare items in storage. I wouldn't be surprised if they tracked down cheap rare stuff, and planted it there for the theatrics of creating a TV show.

For whoever said our economy is in such tatters we give garbage pickers TV shows, I agree to a point, and I also think that TV is in such a stagnant, creative-dead state that we'll take mundane, everyday occupations and activities and make shitty TV shows out of them.

I'm just gonna create a show called Shit Takers. It's people just taking routine dumps, but there's drama and twists and absolutely no subtly about it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I stopped watching Pawn Stars when they did this:

That and the pinball machine that they could maybe sell for $600-800 in perfect condition on a good day that they bought for $1000, put $2000 in repair into, and are trying to sell for $5000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
    All of these shows are ridiculously full of shit and ignorant. But no one cares, because the sheep continue to watch. They've been caught lying and deceiving their viewers, yet people continue to watch. Why? It's all entertainment, and that's the cop out excuse. It's all real, and portrayed as such and they've gotten snippy when questioned....yet when they're caught spinning their web of horse shit, suddenly it's just all entertainment and we need to relax. Uh huh, right.
    News flash, reality TV is about as real as a wooden nickel.

Still, with full knowledge of the potential for staged scenarios and inflated estimated pricing when there's nothing else on, I find them very entertaining to watch.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, that show. I used to do the exact same thing, those idiots make it seem like it's crazy dramatic and highly difficult work. In actuality, it's a simple matter of walking in to the office of a local storage facility, saying "You have any delinquent units? Yes? Instead of going through all the trouble of moving everything out and selling the shit two weekends a month for pennies, how about I give you $300 and do all that myself?" and then picking through all the crap you just got. People tend to store crap they wish to keep but no longer have room for and what that is depends greatly on the size of the storage facility. The places I used to frequent would normally yield a few hundred dollars worth of furniture.
    Last edited by JSoup; 08-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.