Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on collecting for the original XBOX

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as games go, there won't be a lot of future collectability. Most titles had ample print runs, and there weren't a lot of good "niche" titles. However, the system itself has quite a few LEs that I see having intense collector interest in the future... the Bill Gates Launch Xbox, Mountain Dew Promo LE, Halo LE, Halo 2 LE (Candian release only), Crystal Xbox (JP only)... lots more, can't even remember them all off the top of my head. Some of these LEs I see holding value, if not increasing as time goes on.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Xbox has always been one of my favorite systems to collect for and was my only system last gen. I eventually got a PS2 and Gamecube but not until the current gen started. If you are a shooter fan then the Xbox was pure bliss to own. But theres much more than just shooters on it. What kept me hooked was the XBL online community but sadly that part is now forever removed.

I've slowed down my collecting for it since I already have most of what I wanted for it. But I have casually noticed that quite a few games I have are starting to go for some higher than expected prices, particularly the Star Wars games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    But I have casually noticed that quite a few games I have are starting to go for some higher than expected prices, particularly the Star Wars games.
    I've noticed this, too. These are a few of the only games I'm interested in that are exclusive to both the XBOX and 360 and the only reason I didn't go and pick up the 360 Slim when it had that print error in Sears, is because these two games(the first especially) are the first two games I checked to see how much I could get them for.

Since I can pick them up dirt cheap on the PC, the prices for the XBOX versions made me less interested to pick up a 360 again. I don't like playing games on PC so if I can get them at an affordable price I'll get them on the XBOX.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm interested in some of the outside franchises that made it onto the Xbox. Conker Live & Reloaded already commands a good price and I wonder if Toejam and Earl III will follow suit.

It was definitely a surprise to see that Game Dude is buying Barbie Horse Adventures for $25 and selling it for $49. I've never seen it out and about, but I won't be passing it by if I do!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

no real interest in collecting are there any particularly rare valuable games if so likely only a handful. I would like to have one of those panzer dragoon limited edition systems though...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    As far as games go, there won't be a lot of future collectability. Most titles had ample print runs, and there weren't a lot of good "niche" titles. However, the system itself has quite a few LEs that I see having intense collector interest in the future... the Bill Gates Launch Xbox, Mountain Dew Promo LE, Halo LE, Halo 2 LE (Candian release only), Crystal Xbox (JP only)... lots more, can't even remember them all off the top of my head. Some of these LEs I see holding value, if not increasing as time goes on.
    Agree completely if I were collecting those would be must haves (if I had the money)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I pick up games for this from time to time, but I don't "collect" per se. I still enjoy playing xbox games. Sure it's not nearly as "good" as the current generation, but that's how gaming works. There was a lot of ground broken in that generation. Now I see a lot of pretty games but not much that blows my mind. At least they're writing good stories now
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Given the number of folks here who dislike sports games, I'd say collecting the complete library for the Xbox is probably less desirable than it would be for the GameCube.

A person collecting Xbox has to get ahold of multiple sports titles (released yearly) not just from EA and 2K/Sega but also the likes of Konami, Acclaim and Microsoft.

Other than Madden, Cube owners didn't have to deal with new editions of the EA or 2K/Sega lineup every single year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    A fun system to collect and play for, just not for a whole set. I feel that the sheer amount of chud that was released on the system will deter most going for a complete set. I kind of compare it to the Sega Genesis. Fun to collect the fun and popular games, but collecting hundreds of sports games is not so much fun. I personally have collected the 200 or so games that I like on the unit, the rest may or may not come in the upcoming years.
    Hundreds of sports games? Exaggerating a bit there Stan? Personally the thing I didn't like about completing my Genesis collection was being forced to have crap like Barbie and Barney in my house. A lot of those old sports games are actually fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    garbage
    Self-awareness is a very important quality in a person. At least you're not a sociopath. Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Hundreds of sports games? Exaggerating a bit there Stan? Personally the thing I didn't like about completing my Genesis collection was being forced to have crap like Barbie and Barney in my house. A lot of those old sports games are actually fun.
    After making this post it occurred to me that I'd never actually played either of these games and that they might be decent. So I looked up Barbie on youtube and came across the "Taco Man Plays A Video Game" series of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eEYNL70zyk

They're actually pretty funny, and yes Barbie does suck. But not in the good way that we all like. I'm going to continue assuming Barney is terrible, no way I'm subjecting myself to the horror of watching that game being played. Unless Taco Man does a video for it.

Getting back on topic, many systems go through a period of time when their software is cheap and undesired by most. But usually at some point they do become collectable and the value on a lot of titles goes back up. Xbox is a great system to collect for that could have some valuable titles in a few years. Or it could be like Dreamcast which has no truly rare U.S. titles so that never happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Getting back on topic, many systems go through a period of time when their software is cheap and undesired by most. But usually at some point they do become collectable and the value on a lot of titles goes back up. Xbox is a great system to collect for that could have some valuable titles in a few years. Or it could be like Dreamcast which has no truly rare U.S. titles so that never happens.
    Actually, some of the later Capcom DC releases are starting to pick up in price. They haven't gone through the roof (yet), but they are higher than they were a year ago.

There's some tough to get titles for Xbox, but most of them are a bit iffy. From what I've seen locally, it should be relatively simple to complete the libray for not a whole lot. I'm just glad I snapped up most of the harder to get titles as I saw them as I would like to complete the library at some point. I think as time goes on, it will be more collectable, but never to the same level as even the GC or PS2.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

I collect for the original Xbox. Mainly because I loved the system and games are cheap and plentiful. What kills me is the 360s horrible backwards compatibility, otherwise I would play the games themselves a lot more.