Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on collecting for the original XBOX

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions on collecting for the original XBOX

The original XBOX has been getting some attention from me for awhile now. Granted, I like all genre of games including shooters. I am enjoying playing and collecting for this system. However, I have noticed as I read through various discussion boards that there is not a great deal of love in the collecting community for this system. So I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on this.

Do you collect for or see the XBOX collectable? Why/why not?
    Last edited by chrisballer; 08-12-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I collect for it, but I'm not trying to go for a complete set. I can buy most games for $2 to $4 each, and there are a ton of cool titles for it, so it's a no brainer. The thing is, a lot of the same games were released on PS2 and Gamecube, and all three systems had their games mass produced. So valuewise, I think X-box will always be low. Same with PS2. Not that I'm complaining, when I can play through Crimson Skies for $2, everything is right in the world.

When it comes to the many multi-platform releases, X-box usually had slightly better graphics than the PS2 and Gamecube, although there are a ton on exceptions. Plus, some releases got bonus content that the two system releases didn't have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always enjoyed the original XBOX system. As stated above, not that I am ever going to get the entire library, but there is a TON of fun to had with the system and it's games. Some good gems in there like the Metal Slug releases and Samurai Shodown V, amongst others. The shooters are also well put together for the most part. Not a bad system to collect for at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

A fun system to collect and play for, just not for a whole set. I feel that the sheer amount of chud that was released on the system will deter most going for a complete set. I kind of compare it to the Sega Genesis. Fun to collect the fun and popular games, but collecting hundreds of sports games is not so much fun. I personally have collected the 200 or so games that I like on the unit, the rest may or may not come in the upcoming years.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    A fun system to collect and play for, just not for a whole set. I feel that the sheer amount of chud that was released on the system will deter most going for a complete set. I kind of compare it to the Sega Genesis. Fun to collect the fun and popular games, but collecting hundreds of sports games is not so much fun. I personally have collected the 200 or so games that I like on the unit, the rest may or may not come in the upcoming years.
    Yeah, the Genesis is a good analogy. I have around 250 titles and I've pretty much stopped buying them. I have all the stuff I want for the system and don't feel the need to hardcore collect all the sports games. If I have to pay more than a quarter for any sports title I feel a little bit ripped off. It's pretty much the same way with my Genesis collection, although there's still a lot more games for that system I need to get around to picking up. With the Xbox I grabbed everything I could while it was cheap and plentiful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is funny that you guys say that, because I was comparing it to the Genesis as well. I think on some levels the XBOX received the stigma as a console with only shooters and race games. I started out with a PS2 in that generation of gaming, and the XBOX even came after the CUBE for me. Although, once I finally bought one I actually enjoyed it the most.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Love the XBOX. 2nd favorite system of all time. Tons of killer exclusives, and with few exceptions, the best versions of the multiplats. I don't have a complete collection because granted, there are a few stinkers. Nevertheless, easily the best system of that generation for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

I collect for Xbox also. A lot of the same reasons here. A lot of great & cheap games, love the controllers, love the speed of the processor. Sure there's a lot of the same games on the Gamecube and PS2, but I prefer the Xbox for the shorter load times and better controllers and graphics in some cases. I built up my collection by buying bundles on Ebay. Pretty easy to get 10 games for $20 or so. I'm up to around 450 games, but I'm not trying too hard to get a complete set. The ones I would need are all bottom of the barrel or rare. I also collect Japanese Xbox games, but only going for the exclusives.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There does not seem to be much talk about the Xbox. I think many around here have met their goals for the Xbox.

It's been a couple of years since I have collected for it (I jump around in my collection as I see opportunities). I am a bit over five hundred. I suspect I will try to complete it at some point; I forget how many games (US) there are. I thought it was in the 800's (excluding variants), so I am not too far away.

If your enjoying it, collect it. You might want to pick up a couple of extra Xbox consoles as well...they are dirt cheap now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

garbage
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Xbox was actually my 2nd system purchase during the last console generation. Had already gotten the GameCube for the Wind Waker preorder bonus and to play Wind Waker. When Midway Arcade Treasures 2 was released in October 2004, it was best recieved on the Xbox and I always loved Timber and Hard Drivin'. So went out and bought that along with the Top Spin/NCAA Football 2005 console bundle that was out at the time. Been one of my favorite systems since. Didn't buy a PS2 until the slim model was launched.

I collect for the console in a sense, but just the games I'm interested in playing. My collection is largely complete right now with a bit over 100 games currently (My PS2 is in first place at around 120 games, but I actually enjoyed my Xbox and GCN more). Have 25 or so Xbox games remaining on my want list that I'll pick up as I find them. And I'm sure I'll learn about new games on occasion in the coming years that I'll decide I want to try, but I don't see ever going beyond 150 games for the platform.

And most of those left on my want list are just things like budget titles, low rated games, and such that for one reason or another piqued my curiousity enough to want to check them out someday. Only a few big name games are actually left that I want to pick up eventually (Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, Dragon's Lair 3D, KOTOR2, the two Oddworld titles, and Panzer Dragoon Orta stand out as the big ones left).

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    garbage
    Your post?

I agree
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-13-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great comparison......Xbox=Genesis. Well done!
    I don't actively collect for it because of the variety isn't all the great. Plus, if I am gonna play shooters it will be on the newer systems. If I am gonna play sports games, I will fire up my NES.

I loved the Xbox because when it came out, the system had the best graphics. Now that it isn't top-dog in the graphics department, it has lost some of it's edge/appeal.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I also think the Xbox is on most collectors' back burners because the games are so common. I'd rather be spending my money on rare stuff that I won't be able to get if I don't get it now. Larger quantities produced means easier to just hold off on and get later.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cherished junk , if there was anything that great we would know about it already. Go your local game stop pick up cracked disc of hitman and a copy of fusion frenzy with some gum attached to it , there you just Xbox 1 collected , Xbox 1 collecting mastered!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    There does not seem to be much talk about the Xbox. I think many around here have met their goals for the Xbox.

It's been a couple of years since I have collected for it (I jump around in my collection as I see opportunities). I am a bit over five hundred. I suspect I will try to complete it at some point; I forget how many games (US) there are. I thought it was in the 800's (excluding variants), so I am not too far away.

If your enjoying it, collect it. You might want to pick up a couple of extra Xbox consoles as well...they are dirt cheap now.
    Yes, the systems are sold at my local game store for $25 right now. I have around 150 or so games for it so far, and plan on adding a bunch more.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had an Xbox and a small collection. For whatever reason, the Xbox just doesn't seem to be the desirable console. I'm sure that will change in a few years, but I remember going to the gamestop and seeing a pile of 5 dollar sports games.

At that point, I was like "Why bother?". So I traded it in.

Don't get me wrong, there are a tonne of great games, I just think it'll take a few more years to really move the GC/PS2/XBOX into the classic territory where we all forget about the junk, and really remember the good stuff.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

i have about 50 xbox games and about half of those exclusive to the system and im pretty sure those are all (with the exception of phantom brave and that 1 japanese robot game which i dont have) are really the only games worth getting for the console, the rest are more easily and readily available on the ps2 or gamecube

it really makes no sense tho, the xbox was superior to both those systems in regards to raw power, multiplatform games, regardless of which was lead platform in development tend to look alot better on xbox and still it was regarded as a shitty system

some great games worth getting off the top of my head

gunvalkyrie
    steel battalion (only if u can get it complete with controller of course)
    all 4 splinter cells (they're all multi platform but it really shines brightest on the xbox)
    jade empire
    kotor 1 & 2
    call of cthulu
    doom 3
    chronicles of riddick
    halo 1 only lol
    fable
    moto gp 3
    panzer dragoon orta

i dont know if i'd go for a complete set of xbox games but if you did, it probably wouldnt be that hard or even really expensive
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I collect Xbox too. Not hardcore by any means, probably have around 75 CIBs / sealed myself.

As mentioned, there's some solid Xbox only titles, such as Halo, Conker, Stubbs the Zombie, Ninja Gaiden (and Black), etc. I also only collect Xbox instead of PS2, so I get multiplatform titles on Xbox.

I actually don't play it much, just collect out of nostalgia. Though I still have Ninja Gaiden Black in my top 5 games of all time. That game really is amazing in every way shape and form.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    Weak trolling drivel...
    Do you ever have anything positive to contribute? EVER???
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I have , but im still gonna say xbox 1 collecting leaves one with bad taste. 360s library is way superior to the originals library , I find the original library to be banal and mundane. The only positive thing I have to say about xbox 1 is that it makes a good morrowind box , that game was the shit back then loved that.