Thread: FS: Sega Saturn chipped + region free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Default FS: Sega Saturn chipped + region free

This is a NTSC-U Saturn with a VA8 motherboard. I have installed a replacement for the stock mask rom with a flash IC containing a BIOS hacked to remove region checks.

On top of that I have also installed the traditional "modboard" allowing for the play of backup titles on CD-R. This Saturn was able to boot my personal golden standard for discs which is a copy of Resident Evil given to me some years ago. It is a pressed disc, however it is one of the most badly scratched/scuffed/scraped/damaged discs I have ever seen. This Saturn boots it up and allows for play skipping a bit during the FMVs. Given it can do this I'm 99% sure the laser is a strong workhorse and should play the crappiest of burns you can throw at it. However you're a horrible, horrible person if you buy Staples brand CD-Rs and burn them at 48x let alone put them into this temple of a console.

The case is in pretty good condition cosmetically speaking. I have also taken out the battery this one came with and installed a brand new CR2032. It does come with one controller (model 2 style), a power cable, and an A/V cable. The controller is a bit dinged up unfortunately but appears to function superbly.

There is just one downside to this awesome beauty of a Saturn. It comes with an RF modulator as opposed to composite or S-Video cables. Sadly I cannot find any and the person who sold this to me apparently enjoyed having noise on his TV from every source of RF interference in a mile radius.

Asking price? $170 shipped via USPS priority mail anywhere in the United States. I have no issue shipping this internationally but the aforementioned price is not valid if it has to cross the US border.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    rimsky82

If it doesn't sell because of the rf, you could always do a quick mod to add composite outs. I did it on mine; not the prettiest hack, but works nonetheless, and no need to buy another cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Not a bad idea. I have some heatshrink tubing that could easily make the hack look seamless.

Also, if anyone here has any Saturn modboards they'd like to sell PM me.

EDIT: This Saturn has been sold. If anyone is interested in one like it, PM me.
    Last edited by APE992; 08-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?