Thread: Donkey kong game & watch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Donkey kong game & watch

So i went to pick up these lots from craigslist, of 2 nes', 16 games (non sports) for $5. An atari 2600 with 42 games and lots of pamphlets for $15. When we see the guy he opens his trunk and i see the nes' and atari stuff, but there is a game & watch in the middle. I ask him how much he wants for it, he says $25, but my brother managed to convince him to go down to $20 (he wasnt easy to convince) But we got it to work, and dont know its worth

meoooooowers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd say it's probably worth pretty much that. 20-25 bucks. One of the best G&W's by the way.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

I sold one for $40ish last year. The last loose one on the bay got $34. The one to look for in that series (value wise) is Rainshower. Like almost every other 'big boy' in a collection, it sucks. But it gets $75-100, depending on if you ship overseas or not.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I spent the past few years collecting Game & Watch units, the estimates seem right on.

Real world cash in hand collector value of that Game & Watch in that condition is between $20-$40 if it's in 100% working condition (all buttons functional, audio working and no dead LCD or leaked LCD) and has the battery door cover.

eBay value is $40 and up. eBay has a great selection of G&W units at any given time but you'll always pay a very inflated market value ESPECIALLY if the units are CIB/MIB.

Rain Shower and Zelda are the most valuable multi-screens and Rain Shower is the more scarce of the two, so if you come across a working Rain Shower in the wild at a price under $100 (preferably below that) snag it, there's a rabid market looking for them.

Do it even without the battery door (there are some eBay sellers that make plain white plastic repros of all types of door covers).

I pumped the brakes on my collection (via eBay at least) after I completed the multi-screens (both horizontal and vertical) and 2 player Vs. units.

The original silvers, widescreens, panoramas, crystal view and tabletop units are a real bitch to get at reasonable prices on eBay ... I'll wait for the next CGE, there's a seller that brings a good selection at really reasonable prices.

ALSO, if you have a Dollar Tree store in your area they sell Sunbeam brand LR44 batteries (or the equivalent voltage and size) 8 on a card for $1. Since my G&W collection is so big, any time I'm in a Dollar Tree I buy up their stock on those batteries (they usually only have about $10 worth=80 batteries in at a time). For the same amount of batteries you'll spend about $100 at CVS or any other place that sells watch batteries.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the feedback guys, it does work and have the battery cover
    I guess il just keep it in my collection
    :O so i just looked on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Nintendo-DO...#ht_500wt_1413
    why did that one sell that high? the top of it is scratched almost as much as mine
    Last edited by kafa111; 08-17-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    meoooooowers

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

First off, thanks, Frankie! I was unaware of the Zelda G&W.

As for the high price on that listing, I would assume he was selling many other similiar items at the same time. When people start going to combine shipping, they often quit checking what things are worth, they just want it. I recently saw a Sega CD Star Wars sell loose for $15 on Ebay. He was selling about 200 older games at the time. No way to know for sure, but that's my educated guess.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

ALSO, if you have a Dollar Tree store in your area they sell Sunbeam brand LR44 batteries (or the equivalent voltage and size) 5 on a card for $1. Since my G&W collection is so big, any time I'm in a Dollar Tree I buy up their stock on those batteries (they usually only have about $10 worth=50 batteries in at a time). For the same amount of batteries you'll spend about $100 at CVS or any other place that sells watch batteries.
    Thank you for the info!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by orangest View Post
    Thank you for the info!
    No problem!

Just bring an LR44 in for size comparison. They're the tall fat ones. There's a watch battery with the same diameter which is not as tall/fat which will not properly fit/power a G&W game.

And, actually - I was wrong about the # of batteries you get per card (edited my original post) - it's 8 batteries for $1.

They're labeled as AG13 and are listed on the package as equivalent to LR44 and A76. I can say from experience that they run about 3-4 months in any G&W game.

Here's a pic:

Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-17-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"