Thread: Wind Waker? Good or Bad? Best Zelda Game?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wind Waker? Good or Bad? Best Zelda Game?

Heys Guys

Ive noticed that Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker has a very split following (somewhat like Majoras Mask). Quite a bit I hear people talking about how bad of a game it is.

Personally I like the game, and even like the graphics.

Id like to know whether or not you like it, and if you dont, why specifically you didnt like it.

Would be cool if you also listed the Zeldas in order you liked them. Only list ones youve played.

1. Wind Waker
    2. Link to The Past
    3. Awakening/DX
    4. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
    5. Ocarina of Time
    6. Minish Cap
    7. Original (NES)
    8. Twilight Princess

I have majoras mask and have for years and Ive never even booted it. I think I will tommorrow. Also realized I havent played any of the new ones, I need to catch up Im lagging haha

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game thus far. I loved the art style, the story, the dungeons, the characters, the setting, the music, and even the sailing.

Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are my least favorite. Bad controls and strange gameplay mechanics make them boring to play, especially Phantom Hourglass.

Majora's Mask is pretty awesome, way better than Ocarina of Time in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't place as much emphasis on dungeons, there are only four of them. Still an awesome game though.

Twilight Princess was okay. I really didn't like how Zant just showed up, the story was pretty mediocre.

Every handheld Zelda is amazing, save for the DS ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used to despise it overall. I wanted a game that looked 'realistic'. Then Twilight Princess came out. I loved that, and it made me let go of that bitterness toward Wind Waker.

I still can't get into it, however. I feel like I'm being hassled through every single room of every dungeon by really annoying puzzles. Sometimes I just want to kill everything and have a door open, ya know? Though I do feel it is the pinnacle of cel-shaded games, along with the Jet Set games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The battles in OoT seemed boring and repetitve to me, but I really like the battles in Wind Waker I think thats one of the major reasons I liked it so much. I thought the battles where fun and gorgeous, especially closer to the end. I remeber in the final dungeon I kept wishing there where more bad guys haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Perhaps I also need to play further into it. I have a certain seething hatred for stealth elements forced into non-stealth games, so right off the bat I was irritated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Zelda and I really really WANTED to love Wind Waker, and I was enthusiastic about the art style from the start (I wish more games could look like it). but to be honest I ended up just giving it an "ok". The truth is the sailing is just so tedious. It's been said countless times before, but that's because it's true... and looking for treasure on the bottom of the ocean is both time consuming and frustrating.

Personally, I like to explore a large overworld The rest of the game is fine though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Windwaker is my 2nd favorite Zelda game and responsible for getting me back into console gaming after a 4 year absence (big time PC gamer back then).

I loved the cel-shaded art, the OoT-style gameplay, the soundtrack, and yes...even the sailing. I still plan on beating it for a second time at some point, but I've been saying that for 8+ years now.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The sailing only really got tedious for me when I wanted to do all the side quests and map the whole world. I was never more frustrated at it than I was at OoT though. Seemed like I was always backtracking in OoT and the Wind Waker world is WAY biggers so it didnt bother me too much.

I like OoT and up until last week thought it was amazing then me and a buddy went threw it in a few sit downs last week and Im really not filling it, I got bored real quick and had to soldier through all the sidequests and back tracking.

I am thoroughly enjoying my 3rd play through of WW though.

I keep hearing about how good majoras mask is so as soon as I can get to the game store to get the expansion pack Im gonna do my first play through. I despise games that time me though so Im not sure If ill be able to get over that, well see.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In WW I loved when you restore time to hyrule and when you leave the sword room their are enimies everywhere. I had a freakin blast fighting all the guards.

I think where OoT beat WW is the music. I remeber all the songs from Ocarina (only video game music Ive really even noticed, and I cant recall a single tune from wind waker.