Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Batteries on Games

I'd like to know more about the batteries that are used for video games. Can anyone tell me any good information or good web sites?

Basicaly, I'd just like to know what kind of batteries have been used in carts over the years, how they actually work to save data, and how reliable they are, as well if replacements can be found.

I remember Nintendo saying with the NES in the late 80's that batteries would last about 10 years. I guess that's all they figured someone would play the games for. This seems confirmed when I helped a friend hook up a NES he got at a yard sale a couple years ago and almost none of the games with batteries would hold a save.

What about the Internal RAM's that are used in some systems like the 3DO and the Sega CD? I know those can go bad also, but are those batteries as well? How can you replace those?

The only carts still in production that use batteries now a days, I guess, would be the GBA games. How long are THOSE batteries good for?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my battery games still work. Only one doesnt' as far as I know...but I bought it that way. *crosses fingers*

Most use batteries like watch batteries. I remember a few sites which showed step by step instructions on how to change them.....but they were taken down (by the webmasters).

I remember an idea which was quite good. Since you have to unsolder the old battery and resolder the new one on...instead solder on a 'battery holder' of sorts and that way you can later just plug in a new battery instead of resoldering over and over. Less risky too, as less times/chances to fry the board.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The batteries used in NES games as well as some other games and systems is the CR2032 3Volt battery.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sega CD uses CR2016 batteries, and the 3DO uses no battery at all. It uses expensive NVRAM (non volatile RAM).

One can carefully pry out the old, and crimp in the new. Pressure, and electrical tape, and a multimeter test, and your saving again for another ten years.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!