Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA and Activision's cat fight gets seriously insulting [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb EA and Activision's cat fight gets seriously insulting [Joystiq]

EA and Activision have been circling each other like feral cats since EA CEO John Riccitiello said he wanted to see Call of Duty "rot from the core" in June. Activision's Eric Hirshberg responded at Gamescom with no response, saying competition is healthy and mudslinging rhetoric is "bad for the industry." EA's corporate spokesman Jeff Brown agrees with Hirshberg by disagreeing, as he had this to say in response:
    "Welcome to the big leagues Eric -- I know you're new in the job but someone should have told you this is an [sic] competitive industry.

"You've got every reason to be nervous. Last year Activision had a 90 share in the shooter category. This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70. At that rate, you'll be out of the category in 2-3 years. If you don't believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk."
    Me-ow. With comments like that, we can't help but think this could all be a marketing ploy inspired by The Real Housewives of New Jersey. We'll know when Hirshberg responds by putting on a cocktail dress and flipping a table in a fancy restaurant.EA and Activision's cat fight gets seriously insulting originally appeared on Joystiq on Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Modern Warfare 3 is still going to come out on top because of it's brand recognition. But I'm also curious to see how well Battlefield 3 does. I'm getting both but MW3 will most likely be the only one I get at launch.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

This makes me nostalgic for the days of Nintendo Vs. Sega during the heights of the 16-bit era.

That being said its a pretty silly argument. If your anyone who dosen't fall into the "all shooters a dumb, are degrading to gaming, weak gameplay, brown is boring, and Shigeru Miyamoto is the greatest thing ever nostalgia camp" you understand that both the battlefield and COD series play very differently from one another.

Call of Duty is all about the run and gun, that is frantic and fast paced with little wait time between engaging the enemy where as Battlefield is much more tactical with a much larger emphasis with relying on teammates for support, effective use of vehicles, and primarily objective based gameplay.

That being said I plan on picking up both titles on launch, I enjoy them both for playing with friends (Battlefield) and playing against friends (COD). I will however probably pick up battlefield again on PC when it drops in price and/or full DLC on disc titles are released. Battlefield 2 was one of the greatest competitive multiplayer games on PC IMO and due to new trailers it looks like they are bringing back everything that made that game great.

I can't wait, both games are looking sweet right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDDfPxF3EFE
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 08-21-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've gotten pretty bored with Call of Duty. I played Battlefield 2 after playing Black Ops, and I like the feel of it better.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battlefield in October. MW3 in November. There's room for both to coexist, they don't need to eat eachother like Rock Band and Guitar Hero did.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The mudslinging amuses me, as juvenile as it is. Keep it coming!

Activison are doomed to fail anyway when they run COD into the ground. Some people claim this is already happening.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think the DRM/Origin Accounts will greatly affect the sales of Battlefield 3.

Also, I am always wrong when I predict that anyone else cares about this kind of thing.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I think the DRM/Origin Accounts will greatly affect the sales of Battlefield 3.

Also, I am always wrong when I predict that anyone else cares about this kind of thing.
    I find all the outrage over origin kinda funny. It makes sense if you just want all your games on one provider but all the other complaining just seems like pointless bitching about how evil EA is for doing this.

I downloaded it a little while a go to just see how bad it is..and its really not. The service is just as much of a resource hog as steam has always been and the interface can use work but it really just feels like an earlier steam. I'm actually glad that they released this, now I can use this instead of the older weird EA account system to keep track of Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. It's new and will take time to get better but as a service itself its not terrible.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean these are two different games?

Wake me up when it's over please. More specifically, wake me up when the industry has stopped using this retarded "one big name game and that's it" strategy that will surely end in chaos and misery.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If the companies want to mudsling back and forth, just do it in their advertising like everybody else.

In this day and age, executives who run around insulting competitors in the media are anything but professional.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I find all the outrage over origin kinda funny. It makes sense if you just want all your games on one provider but all the other complaining just seems like pointless bitching about how evil EA is for doing this.

I downloaded it a little while a go to just see how bad it is..and its really not. The service is just as much of a resource hog as steam has always been and the interface can use work but it really just feels like an earlier steam. I'm actually glad that they released this, now I can use this instead of the older weird EA account system to keep track of Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. It's new and will take time to get better but as a service itself its not terrible.
    That doesn't sound so bad. BTW, when you installed Origin this was one of the terms you agreed to:

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The two things that come to mind first about Origin to me...

1) What was posted right above me. You want to monitor what?! Go fuck yourselves.

2) You're not getting anything. Ohh! A demo a couple weeks early! And then I have the privilege of going and buying the game, at the same time as everyone else, for the same price as everyone else! WHAT A DEAL! I could go on and on but short form, you're getting a nice sweet package of nothing worth a fuck. That sounds like a sweet deal EA, but I might have to pass.

My guess is EA eventually knocks Cod off, because Activision will both over saturate the market and cave to EA's ruthless marketing to which the yokels don't stand a chance, and they outnumber us. Activision won't care, because they'll rely on whatever the hell Bungie is putting together and will pump the hell out of that. It'll be two baskets facing off, and each of them has all of their owners eggs in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bullshit fight to get attention to sell more games heh
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not bothered either way so can someone please pass the popcorn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    lazyhoboguy

Ugh both publishers are complete idiots.
    youtube= http://www.youtube.com/user/Lazyhoboguy
    blog= www.gamespot.com/users/lazyhoboguy/
    My Game Collection= http://lazyhoboguy.webs.com

PS2 Online and PS2 LAN Tunneling (Xlink Kai) game scheduling site:http://www.ps2onlinegaming.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most legit fight since dc vs marvel ~_^
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both of these publishers games are shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    I don't know about that, but this constant stream of shoot'en games is getting old.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I don't know about that, but this constant stream of shoot'en games is getting old.
    Agree, I just wish the bottom would fall out of them like it did with Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk and 1990's 2D fighting games.