Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadash and Carl Sagan?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Nightowljrm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cadash and Carl Sagan?

So I was playing Cadash on my new Turbografx-16 just now. The dialogue is different in the arcade, Genesis, and TG16 versions of the game. In this version, I think they tried to go for a comedic twist, but failed...

After you defeat the boss the first time (who also has a different name in each version), you are warped back to the castle to discover that the king who sent you on this quest the whole time, was actually the enemy. So you fight him. But, as always, there's some cheesy dialogue... but I didn't expect this...

That's actually what it says... It was so strange. The game had this moderately serious tone in their dialogue, but the first time you fight the boss, when he teleports away, he says "C'ya" as in "see ya"! What? ... Then this? And who the heck is Carl Sagan? That's what I wondered... Here's a link to the wikipedia page about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Sagan. Basically, he was an astronomer who believed in aliens. I don't understand how that has anything to do with "He who is strongest survives," but whatever.

I was still surprised to see something like this in the game. While I loved Cadash and playing it completely through, this... I don't know, seems to kind damage the experience for me, but yet, it makes me laugh, which enhances it... It's weird...
    "LIKE" Gradual Games on Facebook to stay up-to-date with the upcoming NES homebrew Nomolos: Storming the Catsle!

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Wow, never expected to see a Sagan reference in a video game. He was alot more than an astronomer who believed in aliens. He was an avid skeptic, the first modern scientist to write books and produce films aimed at the layman (which caused him much trouble with his peers), and an outspoken atheist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkZNnD99Ap4

Check him out. The genius he was is missed by this geek

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember, this was published by Working Designs. I guess their style shone through even in their earliest, not-very-text-heavy releases.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imagine the "strongest survives" remark is referencing the natural selection aspect of evolution, "survival of the fittest" and all that. Though I would have referenced Richard Dawkins for that one.

I have always hated Working Designs, the lame attempts at humor they smear all over the games they license always gave me the impression that they didn't actually give a damn about those games, and that they didn't take their jobs seriously.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I think that is in reference to Carl Sagan’s “Cosmos: A Personal Voyage” about the time that Cadash was being translated by Working Designs “Cosmos” was updated and being rerun on TV.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is definitely a weird reference, although I guess Sagan did promote "He who is strongest, survives" in a sense. Also, I agree with Sunnyvale420 who suggests Carl Sagan was much more than "an astronomer who believe in aliens", haha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I imagine the "strongest survives" remark is referencing the natural selection aspect of evolution, "survival of the fittest" and all that. Though I would have referenced Richard Dawkins for that one.

I have always hated Working Designs, the lame attempts at humor they smear all over the games they license always gave me the impression that they didn't actually give a damn about those games, and that they didn't take their jobs seriously.
    1) That's exactly what I thought. It's more of a Richard Dawkins statement than it is Carl Sagan.

2) Yeah. The dialogue was fine up until the final boss. After the end of the first battle with the "C'ya!' comment I was like, "Okay..." but when this came along I was like, "What...?" I tried to laugh it off, but the more I meditate on it, the more annoying it becomes.

P.S. "The astronomer who believes in aliens" comment was just a light-hearted poke of fun. I realize he was much more than that, but still. Extremely random context for this game...
    "LIKE" Gradual Games on Facebook to stay up-to-date with the upcoming NES homebrew Nomolos: Storming the Catsle!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

I agree that the quote would better be attributed to Dawkins than Sagan. However, Dawkins wasn't a household name at the time the game was made, and Sagan was.

Nightowl, sorry if I seemed offended by the astronomer comment. Not at all, you just said you'd never heard of him. Great topic for a thread, btw.

Edit: Carl Sagan make another unexpected (hilarious) appearance here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn7-fVtT16k
    Last edited by Sunnyvale; 08-23-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rylin Sakai
    PSN
    RSakai

Yeah, it's standard Working Designs screwing with stuff, the script on the Turbo version goes off the rails later in the game.
    Can't remember specifics, something with the dog and the amulet in the fiery area, they got it all wrong and turned it into a big joke, wasn't it?

I always wondered how far off Genesis version was, but I just can't dig that port. (No priest FTL). I get up to the Gnomes and just go "eh, screw it" and turn it off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R.Sakai View Post
    Yeah, it's standard Working Designs screwing with stuff, the script on the Turbo version goes off the rails later in the game.
    Can't remember specifics, something with the dog and the amulet in the fiery area, they got it all wrong and turned it into a big joke, wasn't it?

I always wondered how far off Genesis version was, but I just can't dig that port. (No priest FTL). I get up to the Gnomes and just go "eh, screw it" and turn it off
    Nah, the dog was actually necessary in the game to get some item that creates a bridge so you can cross the fire into the castle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Carl Sagan was awesome The theoretical physicist Michio Kaku is similar to him, for those of you that watch the science channel
    meoooooowers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by kafa111 View Post
    Carl Sagan was awesome The theoretical physicist Michio Kaku is similar to him, for those of you that watch the science channel
    Kaku is similar, for sure. Sagan was a bit more pragmatic, IMHO, but Kaku is close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh Working Designs, doing what they do best...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    Wow, never expected to see a Sagan reference in a video game.
    There's a famous story about how Apple once tried to internally code-name one of their machine models after Carl Sagan, and when he objected, they quietly renamed it the Butt-Headed Astronomer.

Not quite the same thing as a video game, though, I guess.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by J'orfeaux View Post
    There's a famous story about how Apple once tried to internally code-name one of their machine models after Carl Sagan, and when he objected, they quietly renamed it the Butt-Headed Astronomer.

Not quite the same thing as a video game, though, I guess.
    Thanks! I hadn't heard of this before. Never knew Sagan slogged it out in court at all...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Kaku is actually a leading scientist in his field, I don't know that Sagan ever was. I think he was more of a "teacher" to the world than a researcher. My high school Astronomy teacher actually loathed Carl Sagan, feeling he dumbed down science too much. I always thought of Sagan as more a philosopher than an astronomer. I never like "Cosmos," I felt it was boring and devoid of true knowledge. I listen to Dr. Kaku's podcast/radio show quite often, he speaks very intelligently and explains concepts quite well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Kaku is actually a leading scientist in his field, I don't know that Sagan ever was. I think he was more of a "teacher" to the world than a researcher. My high school Astronomy teacher actually loathed Carl Sagan, feeling he dumbed down science too much. I always thought of Sagan as more a philosopher than an astronomer. I never like "Cosmos," I felt it was boring and devoid of true knowledge. I listen to Dr. Kaku's podcast/radio show quite often, he speaks very intelligently and explains concepts quite well.
    I couldn't agree more, except the dumbing down of science. To those who are ignorant of scientific method and all that follows, the philosophical bent accomplished the goal he set out to achieve (from my perspective); Replacing superstitious notions of man's place in the universe with an equally amazing and humbling set of facts. Kaku is far more the researcher. Their views on alien life and sci-fi in general are similar, but beyond that, one taught while the other learns. Sagan is, IMHO, the man who laid the groundwork for the public careers of men like Richard Dawkins.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Yes, thank you. The problem is the jokes are just generally not funny, and it's weird when the scene is supposed to be serious but the dialogue just screws it up.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    Yes, thank you. The problem is the jokes are just generally not funny, and it's weird when the scene is supposed to be serious but the dialogue just screws it up.
    I hate it when they put modern American pop cultural references in ancient-world type RPG games.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    My high school Astronomy teacher actually loathed Carl Sagan, feeling he dumbed down science too much.
    I don't see how you can introduce laypeople to complicated subject matter like astronomy without some pretty hefty reductions in complication.

I'm currently reading (listening to, actually) A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. It's rather difficult for me to keep up with, I often have to go back and listen to a section two or three times before I understand it... it took a lot of youtube videos before I understood time dilation... that's some fascinating shit.

I'm also listening to Dawkins' book The Greatest Show on Earth, which is a great book about the evidence for evolution and how scientists know that it is true, how scientists figured out the Earth is 4.5 billion years old, and stuff like that. Again, fascinating stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Best Carl Sagan video ever right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc