Thread: Sega CD Repair For Dummies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega CD Repair For Dummies?

Hi All! I just got a model 2 Sega CD off of Ebay and I'm trying to get it working. I get the bios screen, but the disc I put in won't spin. I've tried a real game disc, a burned one, and a music cd. When I push start, it takes me to the music cd screen and says "no disc" and won't let me move the cursor around. When I try spinning the disc manually, it looks like it's trying to read it, but just goes back to saying "no disc". I know it's probably a problem with the motor, but I don't know how to fix it. I opened the machine up and all the wires on the inside look okay, I think, but I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Can anyone here direct me to a step-by-step guide on how to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

No step by step guides exist for these things and there is no way I'd ever write a "for dummies" book on this stuff. Electronics aren't exactly the same thing as trying to order a drink in French...

I'd take a guess at the lid switch malfunctioning. Crack it open, put a disc on the spindle (with slight pressure to keep the disc from flying off) and push the switch down manually. See what happens and report back.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I tried it. Now I can tell you that the motor that runs the laser works fine, but there's something odd. I tried manually moving the laser motor to the top by rotating the gears to see if it would move at all while powered on and it did. However, it only moves if there's no disc on top of it. When I put a disc on, it wouldn't move and just said "checking disc". Although, I was using a burned game to test it because I'm afraid of damaging my real game disc (I assume that my burned game might run because I burned it at 1X speed and used Kega Fusion to test it and it ran fine there). Any ideas?
    Last edited by retroguy; 08-23-2011 at 11:58 PM.