Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games where the lead platform version was canned, but another was released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games where the lead platform version was canned, but another was released

Dark Angel: Vampire Apocalypse was originally developed with the Dreamcast as the lead platform. It got canceled, but the PS2 version did get released.

Any other games like this (any system)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grand Theft Auto was developed initially on Saturn, alongside the PC/DOS version but due to lack of resources and the Saturns waining popularity development was halted and solely carried on for DOS.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Grand Theft Auto was developed initially on Saturn, alongside the PC/DOS version but due to lack of resources and the Saturns waining popularity development was halted and solely carried on for DOS.
    Shenmue started out as a Saturn game, too, IIRC (Hence the Saturn in the Hazuki home, despite being anachronistic).
    Last edited by Gapporin; 08-27-2011 at 12:34 AM.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Shining Wisdom was designed for the Mega Drive and changed for the Saturn last minute, they wanted to bulk up the Saturn library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm talking more about games that were originally intended for more than one system. Dark Angel was going to be a DC & PS2 game, but only the PS2 version came out, despite the DC being the lead platform when it was in development. Shenmue was just moved.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Half-Life for Dreamcast?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a ton of games like this. It happens when a game is started for one platform and then for whatever reason that platform goes out of style, or the company switches hands.

Offhand:

Grand Theft Auto 3 was supposed to be Dreamcast
    Tomb Raider was originally going to be Atari Jaguar
    Kameo: Elements of Power and Perfect Dark I think were both supposed to be GameCube (as was Grabbed by the Ghoulies if I'm remembering right)

There are dozens of other games like that. Using the criteria of it needing to change both platforms and manufacturers, look at anything around the end of the life of the Jaguar or Dreamcast, as both of them were lead platforms for a number of things that ended up going elsewhere.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

So you mean multiplatform games that only ended up coming out for one?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I was gonna mention Tomb Raider but Goatdan got there first...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 was supposed to come out for both the Dreamcast and PS2, but only the PS2 version was released.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I dunno if this is in this thread's purview, but the Happy VG Nerd's review of Enemy Zero told an amusing story about how it was premiered at a Sony booth... and then the presentation surprise reveals that its gonna be a Saturn game.

That was so amusing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul reaver 2 came out for the DC. I have it someplace. Also, gta1 came out on the PS1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    Soul reaver 2 came out for the DC. I have it someplace. Also, gta1 came out on the PS1
    Soul Reaver was released for the DC. Soul Reaver 2, which started development on the DC, only came out for the PS2 and the PC (though I've heard there was a demo for the DC version).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Really makes you wonder if the Dreamcast would have lasted a little longer, had GTA 3 come out for it...

Can't begin to imagine Tomb Raider on the Jaguar.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed Brother View Post
    Soul Reaver was released for the DC. Soul Reaver 2, which started development on the DC, only came out for the PS2 and the PC (though I've heard there was a demo for the DC version).

oops got confused with blood omen 2 soul reaver and soul reaver 2. my bad.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    There are a ton of games like this. It happens when a game is started for one platform and then for whatever reason that platform goes out of style, or the company switches hands.

Offhand:

Kameo: Elements of Power and Perfect Dark I think were both supposed to be GameCube (as was Grabbed by the Ghoulies if I'm remembering right)

There are dozens of other games like that. Using the criteria of it needing to change both platforms and manufacturers, look at anything around the end of the life of the Jaguar or Dreamcast, as both of them were lead platforms for a number of things that ended up going elsewhere.
    As I understood it the Saturn was actually the Lead Console for Tomb Raider, the Jag version was the port.

There were a tonne of games around the Saturn/PS1 time period that switched like that.

Early development took place on the Saturn and by the time the game came out, the Saturn version was canned.

A Core game with ninjas was like that too.
    Last edited by crazyjackcsa; 08-28-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Half-Life for Dreamcast?
    Half-Life's lead development platform was the PC. And I don't think anyone knows if any of the Dreamcast code was used for the PS2 build (I'm not even sure the same developer was responsible for both porting jobs).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    As I understood it the Saturn was actually the Lead Console for Tomb Raider, the Jag version was the port.
    No. Tomb Raider was quietly announced for the Jaguar (starring *Laura* Croft), and then it was switched shortly after that to the PS1 / Saturn.

Phear also switched from the Jaguar to become Tetrisphere on the N64. There are maybe a dozen games like that which were announced but ended up never coming out there. Tomb Raider might need an asterisk though, as I don't think anything for it was actually seen for the Jaguar before it was canned. Phear actually had demos and promotional materials before it switched.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0) PacmanPlush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Half-Life for Dreamcast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Half-Life's lead development platform was the PC. And I don't think anyone knows if any of the Dreamcast code was used for the PS2 build (I'm not even sure the same developer was responsible for both porting jobs).
    He's sort of right... not about Half-Life, but its expansion.

It's true that Half-Life was developed for PC, and was actually released a year before the Dreamcast's US launch. When Gearbox ported Half-Life to the Dreamcast, they developed HL: Blue Shift as a DC-exclusive campaign. Of course, the Dreamcast version went unreleased, so Blue Shift was later released for the PC.

Gearbox also created higher quality versions of many of the game's character and weapon models, which were advertised as another Dreamcast exclusive. These models were slightly enhanced and released for the PC as the "Half-Life High Definition Pack."

It is known that the PC version of Blue Shift is a port of the DC version. For their port, Gearbox used the same maps, which aren't 100% compatible with the PC version of Half-Life. Not a problem initially, as Blue Shift was packed with a modified version of the HL engine, which meant all Blue Shift's special features were left intact. When Valve released Blue Shift on Steam, they packaged it with the vanilla Half-Life engine, leading to missing effects (Blue Shift's special HUD) and numerous glitches (one notable error made progression impossible for many players.)

Gearbox was behind both the DC and PS2 ports. You're correct that it isn't known whether the PS2 version uses any code from the DC version. However, some of the graphics in the PS2 version began their development on the DC. Essentially, the PS2 version uses enhanced versions of the PC's Half-Life High Definition Pack models, which began development on the DC. This is most noticeable with the weapons. For the DC version, Gearbox replaced the Glock and MP5 with the Beretta and M4 Carbine, respectively. This change was maintained for the PC's Half-Life High Definition Pack and the PS2 version.

In short, it's fair to say that Half-Life's high definition graphics began their development on DC (where they went unreleased), but made it to the PC and PS2. The same can be said of Blue Shift, which went unreleased on DC, but made it to the PC.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow I did not realize some of those games were on different platforms.. GTA would have saved the Saturn possibly.