Thread: Object Find and Light "Mystery" Games -- Malgrave Incident

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Object Find and Light "Mystery" Games -- Malgrave Incident

Just thought I'd pose a quick question to DP'ers:

Do any of you enjoy the genre of games typically derided by the most hardcore of hardcore -- the dreaded "object find" mystery genre typified by Big Fish Games?

Gotta admit, despite my general preference for heavy RPG's and bloody shooters there's always a little bit of time at the end of the day for some object findin'.

Been playing Malgrave Incident lately for the Wii with my GF and have been having a good time, actually. Looks great on a HDTV and something to wind down with and sorta just have fun with on a light level.

Anyone else like these games, and have any favourites or memories?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

While adventure games are one of my favourite types of games, I don't like these hidden object games. One of the most hated things in adventure games that fans of the genre usually dislike are the pixel hunts.

Here's the definition of Pixel Hunts for those who don't know it.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PixelHunt

A Pixel Hunt is an annoyingly common Fake Difficulty of graphical Adventure Games, where a hotspot or object that the player has to click on is only a few pixels in size, and hidden in the scenery. Since many such games do not tell you what is under the mouse cursor until and unless you actually click on it, this can make for frustratingly lengthy searches, or Guide Dang It moments if the player never realizes there was an object to begin with, and thus can't solve the next puzzle. Also known as "pixelbitching".
    These hidden object games just kept the pixel hunt and got rid of the other gameplay entirely. I don't understand how these games became so popular lately.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    While adventure games are one of my favourite types of games, I don't like these hidden object games. One of the most hated things in adventure games that fans of the genre usually dislike are the pixel hunts.

Here's the definition of Pixel Hunts for those who don't know it.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PixelHunt

These hidden object games just kept the pixel hunt and got rid of the other gameplay entirely. I don't understand how these games became so popular lately.
    I would chalk it up to the broadening of the video gaming demographic -- I have been playing DOS based adventure games in the same vein as you mention since the late 80's and of course the gameplay is much different.

I would say gamers who were completely unfamiliar with these games and were looking for a bit more of a casual, nonthreatening puzzler (same sorts of people who enjoy mahjong, solitaire, untimed games like bejeweled or popcap in general) really slid into this niche which BFG has been good at marketing.

I like them, but I def. agree they aren't for everyone!