Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic game prices skyrocketing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Classic game prices skyrocketing?

I kind of got out of the video game collecting hobby for a couple years when I hit some financial trouble and had to sell off some games to help get by. I recently started to get back into it a little bit (although still not as much as I was a couple of years ago), and I figured game prices probably had come down since I last checked due to the bad economy and all. Boy was I sure wrong. When I sold off some of my stuff (which was in late 2009 by the way), I had to part with some valuable games such as Flintstones Surprise at Dino Peak, Little Samson, Rescue Rangers 2, Snow Brothers etc. I've recently got on Ebay to try and re-acquire a couple of these titles...and they have all nearly doubled in price since I sold them just 2 years ago. I sold Flintstones for $150 on Ebay...now they are going for $300. I sold Snow Brothers for around $50, and now I see them selling for around $100. Little Samson went for $75 when I sold it, and now it's going for $150. I believe I got $40 for Rescue Rangers 2 when I sold it, and now they are going for right around $80. I mean...DAMN!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

those games are particularly scares (as i'm sure you know) you have to consider many copies have been bought up by private collectors to permanetly put in thier collections never to be seen again, so the supply is smaller and smaller, thus the price will go way up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, prices have shot up tremendously. I think SNES / N64 prices have jumped much higher over the past year than NES which has stablized somewhat.

Take a game like Stunt Racer CIB on N64. I got it for $30 back in Spring 2010. Now it's $125-$150 everytime it sells if not higher. Glad I finished off that set entirely.

On SNES I've seen the Mega Mans / RPGs almost double in a year also.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've noticed "complete in box" game prices have also skyrocketed...even for common games. Here's a good example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NES-MegaMan-...item4aae2ba1c1

It currently has more than 6 days left at the time I'm typing this, and already the bidding has reached near $70. I bet just 3 years ago this would have sold for $30 or $40 max.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I've noticed "complete in box" game prices have also skyrocketed...even for common games. Here's a good example:

It currently has more than 6 days left at the time I'm typing this, and already the bidding has reached near $70. I bet just 3 years ago this would have sold for $30 or $40 max.
    Weird, the boxed Mega Man games for NES really seem to be fluctuating. Not a month back even a friend of mine and I checked completed listings for the MM games for NES and got in the $30 and $40 range for CIB copies when trying to price some copies that my friend had, we were astonished. Guess it was just a fluke?

Also, NES and SNES and N64 are definitely holding value well, but I think it's because the new craze that people want to now start reliving their childhood and are willing to pay a premium for that.

Atari and Genesis prices are still pretty much in the shitter though in comparison to the high prices of Nintendo games. I think the only thing that's even holding value for SEGA stuff is Saturn, Genesis is near worthless and dirt common, as are most Dreamcast games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mega Mans, and Capcoms in general, have also appreciated quite well.

Mega Man 2 has gone from a $20-$25 CIB in 2009 to easily $40-$50, or $70+ if MINT. All of the Mega Mans, with the exception of 5, have moved similarly. MM6 was a $40-$50 title now goes for $75-$90. But oddly enough, MM5 was once $90-$100 and now is more like $70-$80.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I kind of got out of the video game collecting hobby for a couple years when I hit some financial trouble and had to sell off some games to help get by. I recently started to get back into it a little bit (although still not as much as I was a couple of years ago), and I figured game prices probably had come down since I last checked due to the bad economy and all. Boy was I sure wrong. When I sold off some of my stuff (which was in late 2009 by the way), I had to part with some valuable games such as Flintstones Surprise at Dino Peak, Little Samson, Rescue Rangers 2, Snow Brothers etc. I've recently got on Ebay to try and re-acquire a couple of these titles...and they have all nearly doubled in price since I sold them just 2 years ago. I sold Flintstones for $150 on Ebay...now they are going for $300. I sold Snow Brothers for around $50, and now I see them selling for around $100. Little Samson went for $75 when I sold it, and now it's going for $150. I believe I got $40 for Rescue Rangers 2 when I sold it, and now they are going for right around $80. I mean...DAMN!!
    Actually, prices on many items have declined. NES in particular has really heated up as have SNES and even some N64 titles. As others have pointed out, the titles you are looking for have really skyrocketed recently, likely because a number of people are trying to complete their licensed NES collections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Me recollecting VCS, and boy prices have shot up, especially for cib.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Me recollecting VCS, and boy prices have shot up, especially for cib.
    Depends on the game. I have actually gotten quite a few bargains this past year on minty VCS stuff. Rarer stuff has undoubtedly gone up in price recently.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been trying to re-build my NES, SNES and Sega Saturn collections (Lost a long time ago due to circumstances beyond my control), but the high collector's prizes are difficult even for when buying loose carts and disks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really think it depends what it is for sale as i have seen some home retro computer and console stuff increase in price but arcade stuff drop in value.Its best just to keep checking ebay every so often and get a feel of what is happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SNES and N64 are now in the collecting sweet spot - those who grew up with the system now have good jobs and disposable income and they're buying it up.

I've been looking for some specific titles on the N64 and they seem to have definitely shot up in price in the last year or two since I've last been looking for these.

I haven't seen any kind of price spike in 2600 games or systems. Of course I buy most of these on Atariage and ignore ebay whenever I can.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    SNES and N64 are now in the collecting sweet spot - those who grew up with the system now have good jobs and disposable income and they're buying it up.
    Oh I definitely think that is it mostly. Also, games in general on ebay, especially the rarer ones, have largely vanished. The only auctions are usually the same sellers who list them pretty much permanently at ridiculous prices no one in their right mind would ever buy at.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Fanatic collectors with deep pockets drove prices to absurd levels and have been driving up demand to increase the value of their collections.

Conspiracy theory? Sure.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't judge the entire market by NES price trends. I've been following prices for a long time and have noticed a lot of prices for classic games coming down after peaking in the past two years. Prices for the top NES games however, continue to grow. Some of them have become status symbols.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's really mainly N64 and NES that have shot up. SNES has been expensive for a few years now. A few games have gone up more, but generally it's been fairly stable. Saturn is pretty stable too; the "boom" was like 3-4 years ago.

Turbografx stuff really shot up, but that was a while ago now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post

I've been looking for some specific titles on the N64 and they seem to have definitely shot up in price in the last year or two since I've last been looking for these.

I haven't seen any kind of price spike in 2600 games or systems. Of course I buy most of these on Atariage and ignore ebay whenever I can.
    Oh, heya, Atarileaf, fellow Atari-Ager!

I was surprised to read so many opinions that prices are high - - In my recent personal experience it feels like a buyers' market right now!

The recession does not seem to encourage people to do non-essential things, like collect games, and so they sell at low prices in order to get by.

Maybe that's just for large lots, commons, and craigslist, though - - some of the rarities and Holy Grails might just be getting higher and higher. I like the point someone made earlier that there are only so many of those uber-rarities out there.

But, anyways, in my case, I am stockpiling right now at very low cost to acquire, with the anticipation that sale prices will rise again once the recession really ends.

-a2a

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to build up my SNES collection, but there is no way I am buying any of them right now. There are too many great deals on Atari, Genesis, and Xbox for me right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Oh I definitely think that is it mostly. Also, games in general on ebay, especially the rarer ones, have largely vanished. The only auctions are usually the same sellers who list them pretty much permanently at ridiculous prices no one in their right mind would ever buy at.
    Speaking of auctions...anyone notice how much more scarce actual auctions are on Ebay these days? If you look up a particular video game and find 20 copies of it for sale, only 3 or 4 of those might be an auction while the rest are buy it now only. Ebay is becoming more and more like Amazon all the time.

Also, a lot of these "buy it now only" prices are outrageous. You'll see a CIB Virtual Boy system with a buy it now of $399.99, or even a CIB Atari 2600 system and only 1 game with a buy it now for $99.99.
    Last edited by VG_Maniac; 08-29-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Atari and Genesis prices are still pretty much in the shitter though in comparison to the high prices of Nintendo games. I think the only thing that's even holding value for SEGA stuff is Saturn, Genesis is near worthless and dirt common, as are most Dreamcast games.
    Sega CD prices have gone up dramatically. I used to be able to get deals on wholesale lots of Sega CD games on a weekly basis. Now I win about one Sega CD auction a month at best. Good thing I completed my Sega CD collection a few years ago. It used to be one of the easier Sega collections to complete but with the prices the way they are, no way. Also a lot of 32X games are commanding higher prices because people need the rare titles to have complete collections. While Genesis and Dreamcast prices have fallen slightly, even Master System prices are up.

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Fanatic collectors with deep pockets drove prices to absurd levels and have been driving up demand to increase the value of their collections.

Conspiracy theory? Sure.
    I think we're just seeing the standard progression of collecting. Take Atari 2600 for example. You can barely give away the common titles, but the rarer games that people need to complete their collections keep going up in value. There are only so many of the rare games to go around. However the most common titles will never be rare and as the people who are not collectors abandon those games their values will stay steady or probably drop.