Thread: Daisy-chaining AC adapters

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Daisy-chaining AC adapters

How many AC adapters are the consoles in the picture below using?

If you read the thread title, you've probably figured out that the answer is one. I realized a week or so ago that guitar effects pedals use exactly the same adapter plug as the following consoles:
    • NES
    • Sega Master System
    • Genesis (model 1 only)
    • Sega CD
    • PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16
    • Super Famicom (original and Jr., but not SNES)

From this realization, it was just a matter of buying an effects pedal daisy chain. What one has to worry about is not enough amperage, so you would probably need a higher amperage (at least 2 amps) adapter to safely use the Sega CD, and I wouldn't in general recommend turning on more than one console at a time. Also, as always, using an NES adapter on anything other than an NES is bad. Use a Genesis adapter (or the equivalent)!

I also take no responsibility for any damage you may do. I do welcome comments though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I'm resurrecting this to say that the cheap Chinese AC adapter that I used for this configuration finally gave up the ghost after a year and a half of daisy-chain use and maybe four years of total use. I did some searching, found this, just got it today, and it works great.
    http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/pow...e-power-supply

At 2 amps, it's probably enough to power a Genesis and Sega CD (or 32X) at the same time, and the build quality is fantastic. I was surprised by how long and fat the cord is. And naturally, the voltage, polarity, and plug size are perfect for Genesis, Super Famicom, NES, and the other consoles I listed above. It is on the expensive side (I paid $22.50 on eBay), but this has got to be the best classic game console AC adapter I've run across, and I highly recommend it to gamers despite its intended use for guitar pedal boards.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The controller area of your Super Fami seems to have the same characteristic yellowing that a whole heck of a lot of US SNESes seem to suffer from. Interesting, I thought it was all from something NOA did with the plastic mix, but looks like NCL was not innocent either.

Of course the PCE is yellowing too, but I bet from a different kind of yellowing. Looks like Sega had the right idea. Always bet on black.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love putting my consoles at risk for no discernible purpose!

BTW, amperage isn't the only thing you should watch - although extension cords should be a wide enough gauge to safely supply whatever you're using, wider ones are better in the case you're running heavy equipment (an old console, not so much, but televisions and most DVRs, yes), and wattage used by the machines is important in some situations (i.e. if you need a transformer, power conditioner, or battery backup).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    The controller area of your Super Fami seems to have the same characteristic yellowing that a whole heck of a lot of US SNESes seem to suffer from. Interesting, I thought it was all from something NOA did with the plastic mix, but looks like NCL was not innocent either.

Of course the PCE is yellowing too, but I bet from a different kind of yellowing. Looks like Sega had the right idea. Always bet on black.
    Super Famis and EU SNES systems all yellow as well. The difference is that they were made with a warmer color gray plastic, so yellowing (being that yellow is a warm color) isn't as obvious. The US SNES had a LOT of whitening in it (i.e. blue).