Thread: Sega Saturn Lube Question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Saturn Lube Question

Hi. I have a mod chipped Sega Saturn that recently, without warning quit spinning discs. I read that the problem may lie in the laser assembly ribbon. After much, much work unscrewing stuck screws (one of which I refuse to put back in because the screw hole is stripped), I re-seated the ribbon.

The CDs now spin. However, I have a new problem. There is a ton of noise! My Saturn sounds like a dying PS2 (I've had three lasers die on me before). There seem to be no problems reading the discs (even burned ones) and no extra load times. Just a ton of racket. Any clues as to what may be causing this?

I'm thinking it may be a lube issue. All I did was off the black plastic cover and removing the laser rod so I could maneuver the ribbon. . . . and clean dust off with a q-tip. I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea, because I absent mindedly cleaned some dirt off the laser rod piece. I know with PS2s, the rod is supposed to stay lubricated. I fear I may have removed that lubrication and caused me laser to behave very noisily.

Might this be the culprit? I've read that WD-40 is not the solution for lubrication. Any suggestions for what to use? I'd prefer a product easily found in major chain hardware stores, if possible. And when I apply the lubricant, I'd apply it to the metal rod, correct?

Of course, if it's something else, I would greatly appreciate any advice. I don't want to run my Saturn until I solve the problem (unless it's harmless, which seems unlikely).

Alternatively, if my laser is inevitably going to bite the dust, is a replacement laser easy to obtain? Would I be better off buying a new Saturn? I am unable to solder myself, and I would like to keep my modchip in whatever system I use, preferably without having to buy a new one. I'm not sure what the best, and cheapest, route would be if I need replacement.

Sorry if this seemed long winded. I'm just not super knowledgeable about this. Thank you in advance!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go to your local toy/hobby shop and get Tamiya Ceramic Grease (or equiv.). I have used this on many XBOX's, PS2's etc etc etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NerdXCrewWill View Post
    The CDs now spin. However, I have a new problem. There is a ton of noise!
    Can you describe the noise? There are a several potential sources of noise in a CD mechanism. For example:

Bad spindle motor bearing (contstant noise, varies with speed of CD)
    Damaged gear (most audible during track seek)
    Tracking noise (produced by laser, can be almost a high-pitched whining)

If it's constant with the disc speed:
    http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdrnsdrr

Whatever you do, just don't go crazy and lubricate everything in site, only lubricate the parts that were done so by the factory. I've seen pictures and advice where people smother every gear they can find in lube and to do so could cause more harm than good.