Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "AS IS" Consoles on eBay - Best to be Avoided?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default "AS IS" Consoles on eBay - Best to be Avoided?

I have been looking at some auctions on "broken" and "untested" Model 1 SNES on eBay and I am wondering if it's even worth trying to bother. They're had to source around here, but I can get guaranteed working systems (may or may not have cables, I'm not certain) for $40. By the time an eBay seller tosses two units in a USPS flat rate box and ships them to you, they might be lucky to make $10 off the deal. It doesn't seem worthwhile to to either party by the time it's over.

I'm more interested in boards and other internal parts than the condition of the exterior, as I'd like to have some spares and perhaps try out some retr0brite on them, and I know that a lot of "broken" SNES units just need a new fuse, but I just can't decide if it's worth the gamble.

Any thoughts?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

To me if someone lists consoles "As Is" on ebay, it means they've tested them out and can't get them working. Most SNES systems work fine, but I've come across at least one that didn't work right and was beyond my skill to repair. The outside looked fine too, the problem was the music didn't play right and one of my working games wouldn't boot on it. I ended up swapping the top shell with another working system that had a cracked top before getting rid of the non-working one.

I wouldn't risk buying anything that large/heavy if shipping is involved, not worth it unless it was guaranteed working.

Where exactly in New York are you located? I know near Albany there's an awesome lot that includes a SNES system, I have no idea why it's still listed after being posted for a week. If it was near me I would have bought it already.
    http://albany.craigslist.org/vgm/2544168752.html

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

It seems that the SNES is one of those systems where individual chips eventually die, not rendering the system unusable, rather causing graphical or audial glitches on every copy of the same game. So you gotta be careful.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

My rule of thumb is check their other listings and feedback. If they claim it's untested, but have 7 other video game listings, they're full of shit. If not... I got a sweet deal on my Arcadia by getting an As-Is auction. But the seller sells dolls and silverware, not video games, and it was missing a power cord. So I took the chance, and it paid off. I actually look for As-Is auctions from ignorant sellers. But do your research, cause Gameguy's advice is generally correct.

Insert Coin (Level 0) theredlineboss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    To me if someone lists consoles "As Is" on ebay, it means they've tested them out and can't get them working.
    That is my thought as well - nearly every "untested / as-is" item I have purchased winds up being truly dead. I have actually had better luck with "tested / defective" items. Depending on the symptoms, those can go for rock bottom prices & you get a chance to google the issue to see if it's within your capability to fix.

-Rob
    Console Collection:
    TeleGames Super Pong, 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Intellivision, ColecoVision, TurboGrafx, 3DO, Master System, Genesis/ CD/ 32x, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, 64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Lynx, GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBM, DS, 3DS, NGP, NGPC, WonderSwan & PSP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyvale420 View Post
    My rule of thumb is check their other listings and feedback. If they claim it's untested, but have 7 other video game listings, they're full of shit. If not... I got a sweet deal on my Arcadia by getting an As-Is auction. But the seller sells dolls and silverware, not video games, and it was missing a power cord. So I took the chance, and it paid off. I actually look for As-Is auctions from ignorant sellers. But do your research, cause Gameguy's advice is generally correct.
    I've had similar experiences, still does not guarantee that it won't be broken though. I'd assume "as is" equals broken to be safe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's always a risk, so adjust your bid accordingly.

Sometimes it works out. I got my CDX untested and it works wonderfully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Risky for buyers though honest and smart sellers can still profit without making people feel ripped off. Incomplete consoles sometimes appear in thrift shops cheap enough it's worth the effort to flip them untested.
    Lum fan.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    To me if someone lists consoles "As Is" on ebay, it means they've tested them out and can't get them working. Most SNES systems work fine, but I've come across at least one that didn't work right and was beyond my skill to repair. The outside looked fine too, the problem was the music didn't play right and one of my working games wouldn't boot on it. I ended up swapping the top shell with another working system that had a cracked top before getting rid of the non-working one.

I wouldn't risk buying anything that large/heavy if shipping is involved, not worth it unless it was guaranteed working.

^^^^^^^^ He nailed it pretty solidly.

Only a fool or a lazy bastard would genuinely put a kiss of death like "As Is" on a system that is problem free.

They do it when something is noticeably wrong with it and they prefer not to go all the way and say "Broken."

Don't bother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

When you're specifically dealing with a SNES, ya, it's probably tested. But to illustrate my previous point...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis...item336b6b0950

This one's tested, he's a liar.

And this is the Arcadia I got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/220822213505

Look at other items listed from both sellers. You'll see it's eay to know the CDX seller is lying and the Arcadia seller really didn't have a clue. Remember, just because we know that a bad power cord makes a bad RF signal doesn't mean all sellers do. I've sold quite a few Lego sets I couldn't tell how complete they were. I often sell Scrabble tiles. But I don't scrapbook, or know the first thing about it. Just enough to make a few bucks on it. Like the gal who sold me the Arcadia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the seller is selling other systems (even the same one) that are tested and have a couple "untested" they're likely tested and don't just straight boot up. If all they have are tons of systems labeled untested and no "tested working" you're probably ok. Not really worth the risk though IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

I guess. It's TOO convenient how few of those console have any games/cables/etc. CDX there's the excuse of its difficult to find power supply. If he knows the true story behind that.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I guess. It's TOO convenient how few of those console have any games/cables/etc. CDX there's the excuse of its difficult to find power supply. If he knows the true story behind that.
    A CDX will run on a model 2 Genesis power supply. That seller on Ebay 'Fatcat' sells tons of em with just that. Not that I'd suggest changing the voltage at all with a system notorious for blowing fuses, but that's just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

"run" yes. "safe" isn't so clear yet. There hasn't been much research into what effect that may have.

It's under the official amps significantly. 0.85A instead of an expected 1.5A.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A CDX will run on a model 2 Genesis power supply. That seller on Ebay 'Fatcat' sells tons of em with just that.
    That's a pet peeve of mine, people selling CDX systems with a Gen 2 AC adapter. Just because the cord fits doesn't mean that it's the right power specs.

I've messaged a few people on ebay about that, giving them the benefit of the doubt, and letting them know that their AC adapters were wrong, and I've never gotten a response. They don't care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

The bigger question is why CDX in particular. You just don't see that happening much with X'eye or the PAL Multi-Mega. Even though on paper it'd seem likely.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

i've had pretty awesome luck with as is systems on ebay. i recently bought a "broken" wii that didnt power on. turns out the power brick was bad. i've also bought a few as is duos that work great. i haven't had much luck with as is neo geos though. stay away from sellers who sell a lot of as is stuff, because more than likely its toast. most of the working as is stuff i've purchased has been from casual sellers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    "run" yes. "safe" isn't so clear yet. There hasn't been much research into what effect that may have.

It's under the official amps significantly. 0.85A instead of an expected 1.5A.
    Yes, I agree totally. My point is that a seller can test one easily. They don't need a $50 power pack. But yeah, if you run a system that's prone to blow fuses on the wrong power supply, yer a moron. Hell, IMHO, if you play yer CDX onstead of a Sega CD add on to yer Genny, yer a moron.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Stringfellow78

I have bought a couple as is items and have been some what lucky. A couple years ago I got an untested x'eye as is with no cables for $30. Worked perfect until recently. A couple weeks ago I bought a heavy sixer Atari that was supposedly tested and only got a black screen but I bid $12 and $10 shipping anyway. After a cleaning it works ok. It isn't a perfectly clear picture so it needs a little work but it is better than the seller thought.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

When you're specifically dealing with a SNES, ya, it's probably tested. But to illustrate my previous point...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis...item336b6b0950

This one's tested, he's a liar.

And this is the Arcadia I got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/220822213505

Look at other items listed from both sellers. You'll see it's eay to know the CDX seller is lying and the Arcadia seller really didn't have a clue. Remember, just because we know that a bad power cord makes a bad RF signal doesn't mean all sellers do. I've sold quite a few Lego sets I couldn't tell how complete they were. I often sell Scrabble tiles. But I don't scrapbook, or know the first thing about it. Just enough to make a few bucks on it. Like the gal who sold me the Arcadia.
    How can you tell the CDX seller is lying? From his wording?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta