Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 3DS second analog stick attachment unveiled

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe this is my OCD talking, but I really don't like how it's asymmetrical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    Oddly enough, I have big hands, and prefer to the GBA Micro to all other GBA playing devices -- including the GameCube with adapter -- by quite a bit.
    Question would now be: Why? The display is the best out from all of the advance range. (That's the reason why i still would like to own one.) But still, that thing is tiny. If it's for the feel then i'm really somewhat puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Maybe this is my OCD talking, but I really don't like how it's asymmetrical.
    I second that motion.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I don't see anything that looks like it slots into the cart port in those pictures. Possibly the charging dock pins have some i/o capabilities.
    Hmm maybe but looking at the smaller pictures it looks like the flap on top covers the cart slot though I don't see any pins sticking out of it. Still seems kind of wierd that it would cover the cart slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I don't think Nintendo has ever had a portable console that didn't have a revision.
    Yes -- but Nintendo, nor anyone else in the handheld market that I can think of, ever made a revision that altered the input that a system has. It has happened with consoles and controllers before -- in fact, many times... but a console, where the input is tied directly to the entire device... no.

If this is the future of the 3DS, I'll happily continue to buy games for my 3DS in he exact same way that I have so far. So far, I have none, but it's a nice way to play my DS games.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Question would now be: Why? The display is the best out from all of the advance range. (That's the reason why i still would like to own one.) But still, that thing is tiny. If it's for the feel then i'm really somewhat puzzled.
    The original I can't see the screen worth a darn and the SP with the flip top is just super uncomfortable to me. The original DS I'm pretty good with (more than most people, it seems) but I find it more comfortable to use with the stylus in one hand and the other on the console than for two handed gaming. The GameCube controller I don't like how the buttons are different sizes, while it is great for GC games, I feel like it is really weird for GBA titles. *Shrug*

Take all that into account, and the GBA Micro wins almost by default. Add to it that I feel it's super responsive and with the only exception of the shoulder buttons being a little odd to use, it just feels better. I thought that I wouldn't like it, but I bought the Mother 3 pack with one because I'm an Earthbound nerd shortly after it came out, and I tried out the system. Loved it so much, that even with a bunch of other GBA capable systems, I bought another Micro just for game playing so I wouldn't hurt the Earthbound one.
    Last edited by goatdan; 09-08-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Influenced by Nintendo's add on, this is what the 3DS should have been in the first place... well, aside from the obvious shitty Photoshop work I've done. I should have used the other analog since it's the same size, too lazy to remove the add on, and an incredibly crappy photoshop since I used paint, but still. You guys get what I mean.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or with the buttons and second analog reversed, XBox style.

Why they didn't include the second analog to begin with is either simply mind-boggling, or straight up infuriating depending upon your level of angst about the situation. I stand by my assertion that they have basically admitted the failure of the original design, and that there will be another 3DS with this as standard by 2013 at the latest. The add-on is certainly a band aid, and I bet the tension with their investors is part of the impetus for releasing it. They need to get people to adopt this thing if they don't want to give in and make cellphone games in the current video game market. I wouldn't be surprised to see a shake up in company management over this entire debacle.

I was already miffed by the insulting price drop, but this takes it to the next level. It would never happen, but a coupon for a reduced price on the redesign for all those idiots like myself who had faith in their first try would be the least they could do. More VC games most of us already own only make the whole thing even more sour to the taste because I bet you can't take them with you when you upgrade in the future.

The earlier criticisms of poor battery life, poor resolution on the cameras, blurry DS game display, egregiously overpriced software (actually my biggest beef with the system), etc. are nothing compared to this. If they were going to go this far to try and fix the 3DS, they shouldn't have ruined StarFox DS with stylus-only controls and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast with Wii-only controls. I'm still pissed about both of those.
    Last edited by klausien; 09-08-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Red face

Doesn't bug me any. Everyone else likes to complain, but I don't care and buy every system pretty early on now that I have pretty much every retro system I want. People bashed the Gamecube, PSP, and PS3 while I enjoyed them all. Same goes for the 3DS. Now that I have the 3DS I am thinking I will hardly ever use my DS. It was the best way to play real Game Boy Advance games on a handheld, but I enjoy those most on the Gamecube's Game Boy Player anyway.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

@dan:
    Good argumentation. It's been a while since i played with one, maybe i will have a revelation when i buy my final fantasy micro, but all hands are different. How much did you pay for the mother 3 micro by the way? I also heard many prefer the DS for GBA games, still prowling around for dead ones, since i can't be bothered to spend all that money on a good one, especially since i rather would have a DSi XL, but it doesn't support GBA games anymore. :/ I hope it isn't that big of a deal that we are a little OT.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    @dan:
    Good argumentation. It's been a while since i played with one, maybe i will have a revelation when i buy my final fantasy micro, but all hands are different. How much did you pay for the mother 3 micro by the way? I also heard many prefer the DS for GBA games, still prowling around for dead ones, since i can't be bothered to spend all that money on a good one, especially since i rather would have a DSi XL, but it doesn't support GBA games anymore. :/ I hope it isn't that big of a deal that we are a little OT.
    I think I'm a little out there on handhelds, as I greatly prefer the original DS to the DS Lite. I think I got the Mother 3 Micro set (with Mother 3, the Franklin Badge I think it is and all packaging) used for like $125ish back before the price on all things Earthbound exploded.

I also have my boxed copy of Earthbound that still has it's "Buy Now! $5.95!" sticker on it.

But yeah, I think it just depends. The GBA Micro design looked like crap but I think feels way better than it has any right too. I actually think the same thing about the 3DS. I completely dislike the layer look of the console and was worried I wouldn't like it's feel much, but it's pretty decent. A nice platform for playing DS titles on.

To steer this more on track, I'll also say that I agree that Nintendo will potentially have a huge management shake up over this. *IF* this is truly going to become a necessary add-on to the console, then they are going to absolutely shatter the faith of the early adopters in the Wii U. As it is, I think the Wii U is going to have a HUGE uphill battle because so many 'core' gamers have turned their back on Nintendo, and it takes those core gamers to get excited about a product to start selling it. If you take the product that gamers were most excited about and you more or less screw everyone that got it -- and no matter what, that arrangement that is pictured will *not* make it comfortable to use the analog stick and the buttons if a game demands that, and so many 3D games do demand that -- that I really think this will seriously impede any momentum the Wii U would have had.

Add to that so many people don't understand what the Wii U is, and Nintendo has a huge problem on their hands.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah the whole 3DS thing isn't off to a great start. That add-on thing looks cheap, sloppy and ugly. People are starting to get really annoyed. This time next year I doubt anyone will care though. The number of early adopters (like myself) will be far outweighed by the number of "3DS+" owners by then. But, yeah, the 3DS should have launched at the same time as Vita. There was no reason or advantage for the company or consumers to have launched when it did.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't even see a reason why you need a second analog stick when simply moving the 3DS around lets you aim. It must be totally optional. It's just overkill.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    Or with the buttons and second analog reversed, XBox style.

Why they didn't include the second analog to begin with is either simply mind-boggling, or straight up infuriating depending upon your level of angst about the situation. I stand by my assertion that they have basically admitted the failure of the original design, and that there will be another 3DS with this as standard by 2013 at the latest. The add-on is certainly a band aid, and I bet the tension with their investors is part of the impetus for releasing it. They need to get people to adopt this thing if they don't want to give in and make cellphone games in the current video game market. I wouldn't be surprised to see a shake up in company management over this entire debacle.

I was already miffed by the insulting price drop, but this takes it to the next level. It would never happen, but a coupon for a reduced price on the redesign for all those idiots like myself who had faith in their first try would be the least they could do. More VC games most of us already own only make the whole thing even more sour to the taste because I bet you can't take them with you when you upgrade in the future.

The earlier criticisms of poor battery life, poor resolution on the cameras, blurry DS game display, egregiously overpriced software (actually my biggest beef with the system), etc. are nothing compared to this. If they were going to go this far to try and fix the 3DS, they shouldn't have ruined StarFox DS with stylus-only controls and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast with Wii-only controls. I'm still pissed about both of those.
    from what ive heard starfox 3ds has both gyro and button controls, unless your talking about the old starfox for the ds in which case i agree.

personally, the one thing i dont like about the 3ds is that the analog stick doesnt have a texture to it, my thumb has actually slid off it on more than one occasion, same goes for the console, its very slick.
    Last edited by dairugger; 09-09-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ultima9a

Just to clarify, this isn't a revision as I'm sure most of you already have figured out. Basically, when Monster Hunter Freedom came out on the PSP the common complaint was the lack of a 2nd analog stick. Unlike most handheld games, Monster Hunter Freedom pretty much needed a 2nd analog stick. When Monster Hunter Tri came out on the Wii, they got around this by packing in the Classic Controller Pro, which apart from having grips on it, also had a 2nd analog stick. Monster Hunter Tri in Japan got a PSP port called Monster Hunter 3rd. Monster Hunter 3rd/3G is now slated for a 3DS release in Japan and to get around the lack of a 2nd analog stick on the 3DS, Capcom made a peripheral that hooks into the back of the 3DS. So yes, Capcom are the ones making this. Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion. Judging by the comments on the 2nd page, I assume everyone has figured this out by now but I'm just throwing this back out there anyway. I'm actually a bit of a Monster Hunter fan so this is why I knew about it. If Capcom trolls us again and doesn't release 3rd/3G/ whatever the hell they're calling it, we probably won't see this add-on at all.

So let's all please ease up on the 3DS bashing a bit. I get it, this board doesn't like the 3DS, but the amount of hate it's getting here is almost bordering on Gamefaqs.
    Last edited by NBaco; 09-09-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So let's all please ease up on the 3DS bashing a bit. I get it, this board doesn't like the 3DS, but the amount of hate it's getting here is almost bordering on Gamefaqs.
    Clearly. Because a single thread which just hit three pages complaining about the new analog add on is remotely close to what we can pull up on multiple threads at Gamefaqs.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ultima9a

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Clearly. Because a single thread which just hit three pages complaining about the new analog add on is remotely close to what we can pull up on multiple threads at Gamefaqs.
    I said bordering, and it's not just "one thread", it's in various other threads.

The point I'm trying to make is that the "Hate on anything Nintendo releases" trend is a little excessive. All I'm saying is ease up a little, give the 3DS a chance. People attacked the 3DS over this add-on without even fully understand what it was. People need to chill out, step back, and see how things with the 3DS turn out before unleashing all fury upon it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by NBaco View Post
    Just to clarify, this isn't a revision as I'm sure most of you already have figured out. Basically, when Monster Hunter Freedom came out on the PSP the common complaint was the lack of a 2nd analog stick. Unlike most handheld games, Monster Hunter Freedom pretty much needed a 2nd analog stick. When Monster Hunter Tri came out on the Wii, they got around this by packing in the Classic Controller Pro, which apart from having grips on it, also had a 2nd analog stick. Monster Hunter Tri in Japan got a PSP port called Monster Hunter 3rd. Monster Hunter 3rd/3G is now slated for a 3DS release in Japan and to get around the lack of a 2nd analog stick on the 3DS, Capcom made a peripheral that hooks into the back of the 3DS. So yes, Capcom are the ones making this. Hopefully this will clear up some of the confusion. Judging by the comments on the 2nd page, I assume everyone has figured this out by now but I'm just throwing this back out there anyway. I'm actually a bit of a Monster Hunter fan so this is why I knew about it. If Capcom trolls us again and doesn't release 3rd/3G/ whatever the hell they're calling it, we probably won't see this add-on at all.

My favorite part of this post is how everything is stated as fact. Let me respond with some real facts (reported by multiple game sites in the last 24 hours)...

Nintendo developed this peripheral in house.

They are now giving it out to other developers.

In other words, you're full of it.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ultima9a

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    My favorite part of this post is how everything is stated as fact. Let me respond with some real facts (reported by multiple game sites in the last 24 hours)...

Oh, really? Ironic, considering I tried my best to find an article confirming this. The closest I've found is a bit from Famitsu that basically said it's licensed by Nintendo. Being licensed by Nintendo doesn't mean anything, it just means Nintendo licensed it. They licensed the CC Pro too. So what? It doesn't change the fact this add-on is designed strictly for 3G. If you were trying to somehow correct me, you failed. At least provide some sort of link that proves that I'm "full of it". If they're "giving it out" to other developers as you say, then at least give me a link to it. So far, I have no reason to believe this add-on is meant for anything other than 3G. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. But I haven't seen anywhere where I slipped up. What other games are slated to use this add on? Hm? What other developers was it given to? Hmm?? Why is the add-on only shown with 3G? Hmmm??? Unless you can answer these questions then you sir are full of it. Even if the add-on works with other 3DS games, it wouldn't change the fact it was released solely for use with 3G just like the CC Pro before it was. I can't even agree that it was made by Nintendo, because articles I've seen have interviews with the developers of 3G...So unless you can prove to me without a doubt Nintendo made it, I won't even concede that much. Also don't forget that Capcom helped Nintendo design the CC Pro, even though I think Nintendo were the ones who ended up actually making the controller. So even if Nintendo DID make this, at the very least Capcom helped. Seriously, you can agree with that much right?

Besides that, even I were wrong (which I've yet to admit that I am) the hostile tone isn't needed. I'm just repeating the information I've gathered.
    Last edited by NBaco; 09-09-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: I keep calling 3G the wrong name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Careful, I can recall multiple instances where you did the same thing even though you always marvel at how accurate your predictions are.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Whether its strictly for 3G or not; it exists now and being licensed or produced by Nintendo whichever it really is means that it can be taken advantage of for other games. Of course being an add-on I don't know how many games that will be. I mean remember the GBA E-reader or how Nintendo said that they were going to release games that took advantage of the DSi's particular feature set? Those really took off didn't they? Same thing with this deal here, I'll believe its the end-all be-all revision when it takes off and becomes necessary to experience more than one game I don't care about in the first place.

I don't doubt there will be a revised 3DS eventually; Nintendo and everyone else for that matter revises hardware throughout its life cycle and has as long as I can remember. Doesn't mean the original hardware is a useless chunk of plastic and doesn't mean that its a complete failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Hmm maybe but looking at the smaller pictures it looks like the flap on top covers the cart slot though I don't see any pins sticking out of it. Still seems kind of wierd that it would cover the cart slot.
    Yeah, I guess compatible carts will have some type of I/O on them that talks to the device.

It's really amazing what kind of impact Monster Hunter has on the gaming world of the East (this add-on seems directly correlated with that game's development) yet continues to avoid mass market appeal in the US and elsewhere.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"