Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 Years of the SNES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 20 Years of the SNES

Obviously, I am a huge SNES fanboy. September 9th marks the 20th anniversary of official nationwide rollout of the SNES, though some stores had it as early as mid-August. Here is a newspaper article from the Orange County Register in late August 1991 discussing the release of the Super NES:

Last weekend, months after video-game addicts started calling, Dave Adams finally was able to sell them what they craved: Super Nintendo.

Adams, manager of Babbages in South Coast Plaza, got 32 of the $199.95 systems Friday. By Monday afternoon he had five left.

"Everybody that calls up (to see if they're in stock) seems to hop in their car and come down to get one," he said. "I expected to blow them all out the first day."

Nearly one-third of all American homes have Nintendo systems, according to the company. The last big-selling Nintendo game, Super Mario Brothers III, grossed $450 million at $49.95 a set.

Super Nintendo features greatly improved graphics and color because of its 16-bit microprocessor. Until now the video giant had sold only eight-bit systems, leaving the more sophisticated machines to competitors Genesis and Sega of America. The new system offers 256 colors at once, 16 times more than the old system.

Nintendo is getting into the 16-bit arena late. It continued to push its eight-bit system while Sega of America and NEC Technologies surrendered that market and started selling 16-bit systems earlier this year.

At Software Etc. in the Mall of Orange, manager Don Leon was counting the minutes until his shipment of Super Nintendos arrived. He had ordered eight and already had reservations for most of them. He takes reservations only for particularly hot items, he said.

Super Nintendo began showing up in Southern California stores Wednesday, nearly three weeks before the official Sept. 9 release date.

"The people that really wanted to get it right away knew it was out," Adams said. "People have been calling for months on this thing."

The Toys R Us store in Cerritos got 80 on Wednesday and was down to a handful Monday afternoon, a store spokeswoman said.

Answering players' questions Q. Where is the 16-bit Super Nintendo available? A. Until the official nationwide release Sept. 9, availability will be limited. Toys R Us and some smaller distributors had it early. Nintendo says Kmart, Target and FAO Schwarz will have it.

Q. Can you play games from the eight-bit Nintendo system on the new 16-bit system? A. No. Nintendo says it will continue to supply games especially for the eight-bit machines.

Q. What games are available for the 16-bit system? A. Nintendo is packaging "Super Mario World," the fourth game involving the mustachioed video hero, with Super Nintendo. Two other games, a flight simulator called "Pilotwings" and a "space-age racing game" called "F-Zero" are available for $49.95 each. Nintendo intends to offer two more games in October -- "Sim City," a city planning game, and "Super Play Action Football." A sixth game, "Zelda III," will be available by Christmas.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My favorite system ever.

That will never change.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep my favorite system, I was in 8th grade when it came out and spent many of my nerdy high school nights playing SNES.

It also consists of my largest part of my collection 350+ boxed games so far

The rpg's is what really got me into video games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So many important anniversaries this week.

I did not get my SNES until June of 93 but this is the day that matters.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got mine for my 7th birthday, September 2 1995. It was one of the Donkey Kong Country bundle SKUs, but I really only wanted it so I could get Mega Man X.

SNES was the last hurrah of traditional cartridge-based gaming, with expansion chips like SuperFX and C4 doing things that weren't possible after the transition to optical media. The Sega CD was pushing its limits pretty early, while devs were just beginning to really push the SNES. Gaming hasn't been the same since.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite system also. Here's a write up I did for the SNES 20th anniversary:

http://videogamecowboys.com/archives/3629

I remember trying out Super Mario World at the local Service Merchandise store. Loved it instantly, but for some reason, kept dying while playing it. A kid was watching me. He said, "Dude, you stink at this". I responded, "That's ok, I got the money to buy this". That kid wasn't happy after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Super Nintendo sure did have its share of magic.

Super Mario World
    Super Mario Cart
    Yoshi's Island
    Street Fighter II (with all the Super, Turbos, Hypers, and what-have-yous)
    Super Bomber Man
    Donkey Kong Country
    Pocky and Rocky
    Super Puyo Puyo
    Tetris Battle Gaiden

Okay. The last two are Super Famicom games but they're still part of the family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah! One more note: Super Mario World is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and it is arguably the best Mario game.

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Oh yeah! One more note: Super Mario World is probably one of my favorite games of all time, and it is arguably the best Mario game.
    I would not dispute that claim.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Parents Upset Over New Nintendo Console - Super Nintendo - Circa 1991

My favorite console as well. Happy Anniversary!

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have a happy memory of a local toy store that had rows and rows of the pack-in SNES boxes (Street Fighter II, Star Fox, etc.,) and how awesome they looked. Rows and rows of Xbox 360 boxes or, really, any other modern system wouldn't look that good. The artwork was just so cool - perfect representation of the fun waiting inside. I got the Street Fighter II pack for Christmas and played it to death. I remember hearing the old, "Don't you think you should take a break?" quite a lot for the first week with the game. I'd just sit there all day and night. There were so many fun games - the very first Pilotwings for example - that was a real unexpected surprise for me. I remember some store accidentally marked Super Mario All Stars at less than 1/4 of its price the week it came out. Probably the best deal I ever got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    4596-9692-2482

Quote Originally Posted by pixelsnpolygons View Post
    I still have a happy memory of a local toy store that had rows and rows of the pack-in SNES boxes (Street Fighter II, Star Fox, etc.,) and how awesome they looked. Rows and rows of Xbox 360 boxes or, really, any other modern system wouldn't look that good.
    They don't really have anything good on the box these days. Remember the Box of the original Gameboy? When you saw that as a child you knew you just had to have one. I remember this peeled out of a wrapper one glorious Christmas-Night.

Being a child was so much better back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

The system that introduced me to video games and that I grew up with...it'll definitely be my all time favorite.

Honestly...I feel like if you were to make top 10 lists of every genre, each respective genre would have multiple games from the SNES on it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES is one of the few games I didn't buy at launch. After all I had the Sega Genesis, Sonic the Hedgehog, and a Turbografx 16 with Bonk's Adventure. One month later I couldn't stand knowing I also didn't have Super Mario World and had my wife pick one up on her way home from work in Hawaii. She purchased it at Toys 'N Joys and I still have the original box to it. The SNES eventually yellowed so much and the plastic became brittle so I traded it in on one of the new ones that didn't fade. I still play it to this day. Rock 'N Roll Racing, Sunset Riders, Secret of Mana, Secret of Mana 2 (flash cart), and Chronotrigger are some of the favorites.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't remember too much about the SNES launch myself. I certainly was old enough (13) when it came out. I was interested primarily in the NES we got two years prior and the awesomeness that was the Sega Genesis. (Service Merchandise made it look SO COOL behind the display! I opted for the Altered Beast model over the Sonic the Hedgehog model, but I digress...)

I got turned on to the SNES a couple years later when Nintendo Power sent out the Donkey Kong Country demo VHS tapes. I saw how awesome it was and that fueled my hunger for the system. A friend of mine who lived next door had a SNES and two games (Super Mario World and something else...wasn't too memorable for sure!)

Long story short....I traded my Sega Genesis for his SNES. I got good games like Donkey Kong Country, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and I rented a bunch of games.

I will admit it wasn't one of my favorite systems growing up, as that love was reserved for the NES and my missed Sega Genesis. I have to admit the system aged well (except for the yellowing plastic!) and the fact I can use the same component video cable for the SNES and N64! (I know the Gamecube was compatible too, but I gave it to a friend in favor for the Wii's backward compatibility...again I digress).

Bottom line....the SNES is a system with a great library of games, great graphics and sound, and it lives on through collectors and the Virtual Console!

Happy Birthday SNES!
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The SNES is definitely an excellent system, a lot of classics to be found! I got mine from a family friend around 2003 or so for $15, for the system and about 15 games, most of the good ones too. I've gotten more and more games over the years and now I have about 31-32 SNES games. And there's still more for me to find and play!

Happy Birthday SNES!

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was a Sega boy back than, and my parents could never afford - and I suspect they wouldn't allow if they could - mantaining two systems at once. I had tons of fun with my Mega Drive and would argue with my friends to defend it, but always loved the SNES as well, and would sometimes trade systems with a cousin of mine for a while.

I wouldn't have my very own SNES until a couple of years ago, and it was worth the waiting. It's one of the consoles which gets the most playing here - by me AND my 7yr old daughter, who loves Mario games. Some of my all-time favorite games are for the SNES, like Rock'n'Roll Racing and Super Metroid.

Although it makes me feel old, I treasure the fact that I witnessed its launch - as the Mega Drive launch, and the 2600/NES golden years as well. Gaming is not quite much like that anymore and the SNES was, at the same time, the pinnacle and the beggining of the end of that era.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the SNES, behind the Genesis

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the mother in the video
    I going to explain to him how people market things to make you spend more money.
    I wonder how that shit turned out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tied as my all time favorite console with the PSX, the SNES IMO is Nintendo's crowning achievement. Long live the SNES.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary